I'm mostly a novelist. However, every once in a while I think of a story idea that can be told on a smaller screen. I've written several short stories set in the "Mercyverse" (blame the marketing department, it still makes me giggle to write that), and published them in various anthologies. Over the last year there were several characters with stories to tell, and I ended up with a number of short stories. Rather than strewing them here and there in anthologies, I've decided to gather all these stories together and present them under a single cover.
I was planning on making the book about half new material, and half previously published. However, when my editor asked if we should include the original Alpha and Omega novella as well, I thought that was a wonderful idea! The anthology will contain the following stories:
Previously Published Stories
- Alpha and Omega The first novella about Anna and Charles, which led to a whole spin-off series.
- Gray An vampire buys the home where she lived with her husband, which has fallen into disrespair. She begins remodeling the place, only to find that old and beloved ghosts still linger.
- Fairy Gifts Mining towns are rough and human life is cheap. In the turn-of-the-century Butte Montana, a young man, turned to a vampire, struggles with his nature and eventually finds a measure of redemption in an unlikely place.
- Seeing Eye White witches are rare, and seldom as powerful as their morally-compromised counterparts. In this story, a blind witch teams up with a werewolf on a mission.
- The Star of David Being a werewolf can wreck havoc on family relations. This is a story of how murder and deception can bring a family together . . .
- In Red, with Pearls Warren is a werewolf, and a private detective. This is a noir-flavored story about some truly terrible neighbors and why you should always treat a werewolf nicely.
- Silver This is probably the only depressing story I've ever written, and it was a hard story to write. This covers how Bran and Samuel were first made into werewolves, and how Samuel first fell in love with the Ariana. Of course, as we learned in Silver Borne, things have to take a tragic turn.
- Outtake One After the tragedy of Silver, I had to remind myself that with long life comes the opportunity to overcome the past, and forge a better future. Samuel and Ariana have another chance at love, and they're determined to make it work. This is an outtake from Silver Borne
- Roses in Winter A young girl survives a werewolf attack, and is transformed into a werewolf. When she wasn't able to control the wolf, she was moved to Bran's pack. The law is absolute: if a werewolf cannot learn to control the wolf, they must be destroyed for the safety of all. With hope fading, Asil intervenes.
- Redemption Ben's got a quick temper, and a quicker tongue. He's also made a bet that he can stop swearing for a week, and it just might change his life.
- Hollow A wealthy recluse is haunted by a terrible ghost, and asks Mercy for help. What could possibly go wrong?
- Outtake Two A bit that I wrote in Adam's viewpoint for Night Broken.
I hope you enjoy these stories as much as I enjoyed writing them (except maybe for Silver, which I hope you enjoy more!)