Author Topic: Ben, speculation & squee  (Read 65352 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Re: Ben, speculation & squee
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2013, 08:15:06 am »
Old topic here I see, and I'm not a huge Ben fan, he's an interesting character as far as I'm concerned but not a major one though I know lots of people are pretty crushed on him.  He's leavening to the loaf, a pinch of diversity to the dish is how I see him... ok, maybe a little more than a pinch but still not a central character.  Even so, I got to thinking the other day while out walking the dog, what would happen if Ben were to meet Anna in some meaningful way? 

Now she has to exert a bit of power to truly activate her Omega effect, but even her presence is a bit of a relief to most wolves, and somewhat alarming to others.  Different people seem to have different reactions to her, be they human or were, and it’s been mentioned in every book that she’s in that most people, either human people or were people have a sense of an Omega even if they aren’t exerting themselves. 

Is his wolf protecting him from his past memories, or is his wolf a product of his personality in part and would quieting his wolf let him face his past better, or would that leave him too open to emotions without the wolf on guard.  There may be a question about whether that would that be a good thing for him. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Ben is evil, but he is a WIP (Work In Progress) and it seems that Anna could/would have an effect on him.   I think he is, and has been well on his way to putting his past to rest enough to function pretty well in the real world.  In my limited experience, in a lot of cases, people with such traumas as he let on about to Adam in IC in their past, can and often (usually? not any judge of that one) do get to a lot of normalcy with a half way decent support system of family and friends, which a wolf pack and alpha as strong as Adam would surely supply in many good ways.  It seems to me that he probably goes for measurable stretches of time without any conscious awareness, and mostly very limited unconscious leftover issues, I'm starting to think a lot of his stuff has become mostly habitual. 

I guess I was just considering if Anna's Omega effect would help or harm...  harm as in totally freak him out and leave him feeling frighteningly vulnerable, or just partially freak him out and let him learn that even without the wolf to 'guard' him, he's strong enough to survive. 

Just my musings!
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:55 am »
Interesting thoughts, DW!

I think his wolf, like Anna's, has helped him survive things, remember how after eating Daniel, Stefan's vampire protege, he stayed wolf for a while?

I also suspect that he's in counseling already, as well as his being - as he said at one point - almost down to submissive on the "how dominant is this wolf?" scale of CB pack, so probably Anna would do him a lot of good.  Shoot... Ric might be the optimal Omega to help him, given he's got therapist training as well as the Omega mojo.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28:01 am »
I also suspect that he's in counseling already, as well as his being - as he said at one point - almost down to submissive on the "how dominant is this wolf?" scale of CB pack, so probably Anna would do him a lot of good.  Shoot... Ric might be the optimal Omega to help him, given he's got therapist training as well as the Omega mojo.

I bet Ric would be able to help him, since as you say he is a therapist (almost) and he is Omega.  Unfortunately (unless his pack immigrated to the US when Bran revealed) he is in Italy (if I remember correctly) so that would be a bit of a commute for a therapy session -  :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:31:10 am by catchmeifyoucan »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2013, 04:03:46 am »
But what an excuse to travel. :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2013, 07:45:22 am »
Permissions could be worked out, get them together during AlphaCon...

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:30 am »
I'm not sure if Anna or any other Omega would work for Ben based on the understanding I got from Sam and Mercy's conversation in SB.

Omega wolves, as I understand them, are like Valium for werewolves. ... Samuel's wolf looked wistful ... "No. If I were the problem, if I were ravaging the countryside, she might help. But this is not impulse, not desperation. Samuel just feels that he no longer belongs, that he accomplishes nothing by his existence. Even the Omega cannot fix him."

Ben's problems aren't Samuel's, but they're as deep rooted. And if the Omega effect only works on the wolf...Ben's never had a problem with being a werewolf (as far as I could see) so I'm not sure how much help Anna or Ric would be.

It would help if he talked to someone, but at the same time he needs time. And being a werewolf means he's got a lot of it. But if he could talk to Anna as a fellow victim of abuse... but I can't see that happening.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02:56 pm »
Omega works on humans too, even before a person is changed, as well as after.  After all, if you've got someone wound up with tension from sexual abuse, with a strong physique, you might put him or her on Valium to 1. keep them from hurting anyone 2. keep them from destroying the furnishings/house 3. loosen the checks they keep on revealing themselves, so that the therapist can get at the root of the problem, 4. let them accept that they have let some of this out.  Not exactly the same as "in vino veratis", but the same general idea.  Take the leash off their tongues.

Meghan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »
Hi I realize this is an Old topic, but I feel I have to share my Ben love,
He is a character I totally love, he is honest underneath his hard shell no other wolf in his position would stand up to Adam the way he did in Iron
Kissed. His speech and the emotion behind it really made me fall in love with him because in that minute I felt that he showed that he was on mercy's side. Even through all his harsh words and cruel sarcasm he is firmly a team mercy player, we see that through all the books even in the most recent few such as in night broken.
I feel like he believes mercy would do anything for those she cares about and for that he seems to stand with her firmly, through almost anything I feel like he trust her to look after him more than most others in the pack and when he stays in his wolf form, its mercy's word and support that seem to bring him back.
I think he truly wants to be her friend but that with everything that has happened its as if he doesn't know how and that he does in his on way.
Even in the most recent book Night Broken he was although not obviously Scream TEAM MECY he like Honey showed who they would choose if it came down to the better of two evils even though I do believe that they like mercy as a person just not the trouble that she brings to the table
Ben shared a cynical smile with us. He wasn't petting Christy either.
[/spoiler]

Anyway i also think although I would love Ben to have a relationship (Pleaaasseee  O) ) I kind think (  :-' ) he is maybe to damaged at the moment but maybe a woman will come in and help heal his wounds the way I think mercy is just a little by always being honest with him as much as she can. I think he deserves to be happy and comfortable within the pack as I think the pack wouldnt be the same without him.

Wow I babble to much  :o

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2014, 03:31:47 am »
Hi I realize this is an Old topic, but I feel I have to share my Ben love,
He is a character I totally love, he is honest underneath his hard shell no other wolf in his position would stand up to Adam the way he did in Iron
Kissed. His speech and the emotion behind it really made me fall in love with him because in that minute I felt that he showed that he was on mercy's side. Even through all his harsh words and cruel sarcasm he is firmly a team mercy player, we see that through all the books even in the most recent few such as in night broken.
I feel like he believes mercy would do anything for those she cares about and for that he seems to stand with her firmly, through almost anything I feel like he trust her to look after him more than most others in the pack and when he stays in his wolf form, its mercy's word and support that seem to bring him back.
I think he truly wants to be her friend but that with everything that has happened its as if he doesn't know how and that he does in his on way.
Even in the most recent book Night Broken he was although not obviously Scream TEAM MECY he like Honey showed who they would choose if it came down to the better of two evils even though I do believe that they like mercy as a person just not the trouble that she brings to the table
Ben shared a cynical smile with us. He wasn't petting Christy either.
[/spoiler]

Anyway i also think although I would love Ben to have a relationship (Pleaaasseee  O) ) I kind think (  :-' ) he is maybe to damaged at the moment but maybe a woman will come in and help heal his wounds the way I think mercy is just a little by always being honest with him as much as she can. I think he deserves to be happy and comfortable within the pack as I think the pack wouldnt be the same without him.

Wow I babble to much  :o

:D  I completely agree with you. Ben is one of my favourite characters and I adore him. I think establishing a relationship with Mercy is doing him the world of good because it appears he has never had that level of trust in his life.  He has been a victim of abuse for many years and in Mercy he has found someone to help him heal inside.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:28 am »
Did we ever find out what happened to Ben's parents? Or did I forget? Whether they got away with their abuse on their son as a child, or was there son punishment or consequence?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2016, 11:38:48 am »
And how was Ben turned?  How long ago?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2016, 02:59:50 pm »
Well, in the short story he mentions his doddering 'ol Mum in England. So she still seems to be alive.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2016, 04:17:34 am »
I thought I remembered something along those lines about his parents, poor Ben.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »
He mentioned getting into trouble with either alcohol or drugs, if I remember correctly. My guess would be that his change was involved with that somehow.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2016, 06:18:25 am »
As so many questionable events are...