Author Topic: Ben, speculation & squee  (Read 65354 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Ben, speculation & squee
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »
There is a school of thought that says Ben was sexually abused by his mother.
Possibly some other female authority figure, but probably his mother.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Tybaltlovetoby5

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:46 am »
Rothshaan, I don't know that I saw his self-hatred as THAT extreme, but I guess it could be. In terms of any kind of romantic interest for him... I think it's more important for him to find the right person than what form that person might take. He needs a strong woman, but one with compassion and love. A deep sense of humor. And PATIENCE.

But in RM, Mercy specifically says that she still would not trust Ben alone in a room with Jesse. Mercy points out that he's still very damaged. So I think we're talking a very long time before Ben is ready to be with anyone seriously.

I think the best thing for him is to have a selection of good, strong female friends for a while. Remember/learn how to interact with women as fellow humans.

I agree. BEN needs to more female friends in his life
Mercy will be a good influence for Ben.

RandomRedSquirrel

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »
I agree with ^^^ though maybe Ben is Gay he did have a hero worship of his Alpha and felt betrayed. Though it may be just the regular Alpha-pack member relationship. I would be fine if he was bi/gay/straight. I have a soft spot for that tortured British soul thing ;) Though a romantic partner may not be the answer right now I feel he needs a buddie to vent to that isn't Mercy or Adam.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »
Hmmm, I greatly doubt Ben being gay, mostly because there's no evidence, and plenty of evidence of him being streight.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:16 pm »
I don't think he's gay either. The pack would've noticed, something about smelling arousal
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:42 pm »
--Just like with Warren, and given the rough & tumble structure (if you could call it a structure!) of European packs, I don't think he'd have survived.  So while Ben might faintly be bisexual, my guess is that he's not; he's been raped, but that's it.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:17 am »
Those were my thoughts, but with Adam understanding now, things seem to be getting better
Howl more, whine less

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2011, 05:15:55 am »
I love seeing more of Ben in the later books, he is still snarky at times, but he is developing into quite a likable, if suspicious character.  ;D

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »
Every book needs a Ben character  :P
Howl more, whine less

Sadie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2011, 05:32:06 am »
I love all the speculation around Ben. He's one of my favorite secondary characters in the books. I do think Ben was sexually abused but an adult when he was a child and that adult may be his mother or another trusted female figure in his life. He doesn't just distrust women, he has this loathing of them that is very strong in the first books. It's still there in River Marked, but we see him growing and learning that not all women are objects or something to be loathed. I wouldn't trust him alone with Jesse or one of Mercy's sisters...yet.

I also wonder if he was forced to change. He seems comfortable with his wolf so perhaps not, but maybe he was forced and maybe it was a female wolf who turned him. Likely not, but given what little we know about the England pack from Hunting Ground, it doesn't sound like it was a healthy pack and anything is possible.

I do hope Ben finds his happily ever after. I see his journey mirroring Mercy's in some ways.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:10 am »
Technically - as a side note - England has several packs, with their own Alphas, but Arthur was trying to be their "Marrok."

Wouldn't it be cool if some aspect of Ben's life ended up being a big plot point in a future book, so we could get a deeper look into either his past or his current life?  Or both, of course... O)

Sadie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:00 am »
Technically - as a side note - England has several packs, with their own Alphas, but Arthur was trying to be their "Marrok."

Huh, I missed that. Thanks for the info. I think I need to reread Hunting Ground now. Such a hardship.  ;)

Wouldn't it be cool if some aspect of Ben's life ended up being a big plot point in a future book, so we could get a deeper look into either his past or his current life?  Or both, of course... O)

Absolutely! It's already sort of happened in IK when Ben laid it on the line to Adam so Adam could get out of his own head and start to understand what was likely going on in Mercy's. There is still that matter of the rapes (or was it killings?) in London before Ben was shipped to the Columbia Basin pack. I can see that coming back to haunt him, even though he's innocent. Oh, the possibilities!

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:36 am »
It was rapes. But , yes endless posibilities... ;)
Howl more, whine less

Meghan

• Tool Wrangler
Ben....
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »
I have to say i have alot of love for ben in the books. When i first started reading the books i was like i think your a creep!!! Then i am soo sad to say but i fell in love with him. The way he stood upto adam when mercy was raped even though he knew adam would give him a kick in for it. “She crawled,” Ben said. There were tears in his voice. That was wrong. Ben barely even tolerated me on the best of days. “She crawled to the bathroom to clean herself again. If it weren’t for the two subs in the pack, I’d be on the bottom. And she wouldn’t stand up in my presence for guilt.”
The love i have for him after that he really showed how he had a soft spot for mercy and we as readers got to see a softer side of ben the way he develops with her and the way he reacted when she nearly died.

I think he is a really misunderstood character and i think patricia briggs did an amazing job of developing ben he just shines out as my most loved secondary character  :-LOVE ....

magnificience

• Grease Monkey
  • Reformed Lurker
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:33 pm »
I have a lot of love for Ben. I hope that we get to see a lot more of him in Frost Burned, his progress across the novels has been amazing to watch.

I don't think he's at the point yet for any romantic relationships with women, even the casual dating kind. I'd like to see more of him learning how to be friends with women first. And of course I've wanted to stick him in therapy since Iron Kissed but that's what happens when you're a former Psych student. :D

I've been speculating for a while about the relationship between Mercy and Ben (I mean as friends not romantically). It's been really positive for Ben, and I'm wondering if part of that's because of Mercy being a walker. She's much weaker then Weres/Fae/Vampires, yet she'll stand up to anyone, even the Marrok, and she's survived situations that would've killed a lesser person. Maybe watching someone perceived as 'weak' accomplish big things is good for Ben. As a victim of abuse he might see himself as being pretty weak. I also wonder how much hatred he also holds for himself.