Author Topic: The Grey Lords  (Read 16585 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
The Grey Lords
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:29:07 am »
What does it take to be a Grey Lord? Are these just really powerful fae? We know that Nemane, the Carrion Crow, is considered a Grey Lord. She doesn't seem to be mean and nasty - but somewhat expedient. The fae that met Mercy while she was searching the houses - the one on the beach - was also a Grey Lord. I wonder if we'll meet him again? In my first reading of IK, I thought that the Feidel (?they kelpie fae who attacked Mercy) was the same fae from the beach. It was only in my second reading that I realized (I think) that they're separate entities.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: The Grey Lords
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
I dont know but interesting question Cerulean it seems to me that the Fae like Zee and Uncle Mike are not Grey Lords themselves yet they are powerful - Zee scared off Fideal pretty easily so I dont think he is a Grey Lord. But the Grey Lords must have something over the other Fae for them to be afraid of. Yet Tad implied during that conversation with Mercy that they can be brought down but I wonder what can defeat them if someone like Zee and I suspect Uncle Mike are afraid off. I also think whatever they are planning its something that Uncle Mike, Zee and even Nemane may not agree with and dont like. I also think its something that would draw the other supernatural beings out like the Werewolves, Vampires and witches - Supernatural war anyone? :)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:04:59 pm »
Tad implied during that conversation with Mercy that they can be brought down but I wonder what can defeat them if someone like Zee and I suspect Uncle Mike are afraid off. I also think whatever they are planning its something that Uncle Mike, Zee and even Nemane may not agree with and dont like. I also think its something that would draw the other supernatural beings out like the Werewolves, Vampires and witches - Supernatural war anyone? :)

I think it was pretty definitely stated that the Fideal isn't a Grey Lord, but the Sea King (or whatever he was) is, as is Nemane. 

And I like your thinking, Has.  :) That's a really interesting idea. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
yeah pretty plainly stated that the fideal isn't and the other two are.  cool ideas has.  and i think that you probably have to have a certain level of fae magic, power, and simply put the ability to envoke fear and obedience in my opinion is why only certain fae are grey lords

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
What does it take to be a Grey Lord? Are these just really powerful fae?

Hmm, maybe my idea is somewhat influenced by the fact that I've just read the Tir Alainn trilogy ( ::)), but I thought that maybe the Grey Lords are the "supreme wielders" of a particular gift. Hmm, for example: the Sea King, the one that Mercy meets in the selkie bathroom, might be the most powerful selkie, the one who controls their gift or something like that. I don't know if I made myself clear... :-\
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:28:04 pm »
that thought entered my head also, that they all were the most powerful in one area.  like the sea was was that - the Sea King.  and the carrion crow (nemane) was the most powerful in the air or with that element maybe

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:31:57 pm »
Ohh interesting thoughts Mazoku :)
But all being no matter how powerful have a weakness and they must have one but perhaps no one knows it and that is why they are seen to be powerful. I know iron can be used but it looks like they are above that and there are fae like Zee who are immune to it.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:36:42 pm »
Good thoughts all - I like the idea that the Grey Lords are masters of their element.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:58 pm »
yeah it definitely could be, like the forest might have been the lair of another gray lord and master of another element-earth

courtesy of Has

leaf

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »
Could it be that Uncle Mike & Zee are not Grey Lords because their strengths are more mundane than  the Grey Lords?  The Sea King  controlled an element, Uncle Mike was referred to by Samuel as "Green Man" (weren't the Green Man stories about fertility/crops & trees?), and Zee's strengths are in the wielding of metal, both powers are specific and about material things where the Grey Lords such as Nemane are about more abstract powers? Also maybe they are the ones who have kept more of their power than the others who have been weakened - or were they always in charge?

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:32 am »
Maybe Zee and Uncle Mike even had the power to be one of the Grey Lords... but maybe they are too much pro-human, you know what I mean? Zee's son is half-human, Mike lives in the world of humans and seems quite okay with it... maybe the grey lords don't like something like that....

GW  WK  WH

Temari

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:32:01 am »
I don't think that Zee and Uncle Mike have their power. Mercy thought that Uncle Mike 'hated and feared the Grey Lords', and Zee is respectful to them in a way that he isn't to anyone else. I think they'd only be scared of them if they were more powerful.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
    • my livejournal
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:40:02 am »
hmmmm temari, that's right

well, maybe we will learn more about them in one of the next books... ah, can't wait.... patience is a virtue, I know *sighs*

GW  WK  WH

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 01:52:14 pm »

This made me think of  Namane.

http://kirbysattler.sattlerartprint.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nativeamericanart.jpg

I know she doesn't look like this, just made me think about her.

Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:02:51 pm »

This made me think of  Namane.

http://kirbysattler.sattlerartprint.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nativeamericanart.jpg

I know she doesn't look like this, just made me think about her.

I like it! It really captures her spirit, I think.

raion

• Grease Monkey
  • Everybody laughs in the same language ; )
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 07:19:42 am »
Cool picture, I can see why it made you think of Namane ;)

I might be wrong about this but I just remembered that "girl" that Mercy and Zee met at the first of the murder scenes... was´t she a Grey Lord as well? Not that that says much with the glamors you really can´t juge the danger a fea poses by their appreance :-\

I like the idea about the Grey Lords controling the elements... now it depends which system is used in the Asian countries they have a metal element, but I don´t think that Zee is a Grey Lord. I think it is more likely that he knows some of them personally and therefore respects them.

The Grey Lords are doubtlessly powerful, they inspire fear and respect and they are ruthless. I also just thought, Zee said not to mention a Grey Lords name because that would enable them to listen in to the conversations.... does that only work for the Grey Lords or can all more powerful fea do that?

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 07:28:36 am »
I think the girl Zee and Mercy meet is another council member, not a Grey Lord.  I think Zee or Uncle Mike say somewhere that the Grey Lords have not really noticed what is happening on the rez and that they would like to keep it that way.

The sea-man Mercy sees UnderHill is a Grey Lord, but until she meets Namane, I think that's it.  I'm sure Zee isn't a Grey Lord, because Mercy and Tad mention that he fears them.  Why would he fear them if he is one?

I think the power of naming things generally applies to all powerful beings, though how powerful, I'm not sure.

Bithalynn

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:04:22 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie here, and I know this topic isn't very current, but I'm re-reading IK (I lost count of how many times I've re-read this series) and had an interesting thought about this. I'm wondering if, because of his peculiar talent, Zee might be outside the fae hierarchy. In Cry Wolf they talk about how being an Omega puts Anna outside the normal pack rankings and hierarchy. I wondered if the fact that Zee has a talent that is really rare among the fae might have a similar effect on his standing....

I'm probably really reaching here, but it just seems like Zee is a little outside all the other fae stuff. That may just be because he likes humans more and is more willing to put himself out on their behalf... Like I said, just a thought that had occurred to me.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
    • my livejournal
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:48 am »
hi bithalym...

I think that also Zee's apparent interest for humans (he even married one, so his son is part human) might isolate him a bit from those fae who don't want contact with the humans....

all in all, I don't know if there is a hierachy that could be compared to that in a pack

GW  WK  WH