Author Topic: The 3D Mercy Project  (Read 22071 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: The 3D Mercy Project
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 07:44:11 am »
Wow.  You know how in the section on the new web site I was whining about "Those Graphics Guys" who can do such amazing things while I'm happily adding "Drop Shadow" effects to everything?  The ones who make it all look easy?  The ones I'm insanely jealous of because I can't figure out their brand of magic?  Well, YOU ARE ONE!   This looks pretty darn fantastic, and I can only guess how many hours it took.

My 3-D modeling experience was mostly with blender -- I think I built a Teapot that was almost recognizable.  No really, I'm THAT good. ;D  And that stupid, malformed, teapot with all sorts of visible, unsmoothed polygons took me pretty much a full day to build.  I'm jealous, you hear that, insanely, foaming-at-the-mouth jealous!  But also VERY, VERY impressed.   Great work!.
Where's my super-suit?

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:14 am »
I'm jealous, you hear that, insanely, foaming-at-the-mouth jealous!

;D  Uh-oh, I pissed off the forum administrator....  I must run for cover!  8) 8) 8)

Seriously, anyway, thanks for the compliments, but the HARD work has been done by others. The program I use, Poser 7, is not a real "3D modeling program", but a "Dress your Barbie" kind of program for grown-up people  (sort of). You take a 3D model  (in my case Victoria 4 by DAZ), you change her physical features  (a process known as "morphing" the model), then you add clothes, hair, other objects (there are either free or commercial items), and you "pose" the model just like a doll. Then you make the render.

So I have not "modeled" Mercy from zero. I have just transformed the base 3D mannequin into something similar to Mercy. Texture customizations and character morphing are mine, but I would not be able to create ever a stupid, malformed teapot from scratch.

So please, PLEASE, put away that rifle!   :D   I am allergic to bullets!  (either lead AND silver!)

But I am IMMENSELY happy that you like my little project! I just hope that Patricia can appreciate my rendition of her character.

Giorgio
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:37 am »
Dang, that's absolutely awesome Giorgio!! :o
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 04:24:41 am »
Just a little update: I am starting to work on the next 3D character.... yes, yes, I know, I said he would have been Adam, but I have just found another inspiration...

So I proudly announce you that in a few days I'll post some previews of Stefan, complete with Mystery Machine bus;D

Meanwhile I renew my offer: if you'd to see some 3D images of Mercy with a particular setting, pose, expression, just suggest it and I'll try to do my best!

Giorgio
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:29:33 am by ksabers »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 09:54:14 am »
Ohhhhh Yay - really looking forward to it :) can I suggest a Scooby doo lookalike in the van please- since in the book Mercy gave Stefan  a stuffed toy for Christmas. And I can so see him driving the Mystery Machine with Scooby at his side  :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Firewire

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 11:36:39 am »
Great Job. I know what the effort involved in a project like this. Even if you only did the morphing and the skinning there is a great deal of time involved.

I used to do 3D animated scenes on an off for fun. I created my own meshes using blender, rhino, and many other mainstream nurbs modeling tools. I even did a full Open GL game for a class one year. I had to make a fighter jet mesh and all. It was fun but definitely tons of work. It has been a few years since I have looked at poser. It seams that the program has gotten much more sophisticated than I remember.

Great job and don't be so modest. If you ever want to talk shop let me know. I've been out of it a little while but its always fun to talk about interests.

Firewire

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:41 am »
On a side note I actually did a book review for Blender. Nothing big or anything. A friend of mine runs a website www.geeksinside.com and I got a free blender book out of the deal.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 04:59:27 am »
Ok, I have redone completely the lights in the Mercy portrait and now they seem more realistic. I declare the image finished and published in my Renderosity gallery! Now back to work to Stefan and his bus!   ;D

Giorgio

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 09:07:28 pm »
may i sugjest you change the car to some VW and change the plates to the state of Washington

There is no place like /~

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 11:47:34 pm »
may i sugjest you change the car to some VW and change the plates to the state of Washington
The car has no specific brand to avoid copyright problems. However now I have found a licensed 3D model of a lovely Volkswagen Beetle. Too bad it's a bit expensive...
Regarding the plate, no problem in changing the texture, if I can find a real plate to use as a reference...

Giorgio

SanLynn

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm a fig newton of your imagination
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 06:57:56 pm »
That is just outstanding work. I love the Mercy portrait and I'm looking very forward to seeing Stefan, his bus and the other characters. I'm so jealous of your skills! :)

grommet

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 02:40:49 pm »
I am a mechanic.  I have only know of one female proffesional mechanic.  And she didn't show up to work in skintight clothing. Not once .Not ever.  Although, interestingly, she did work at a VW dealership.  And though most of the VW mechanics I have met were born in the United States - there are grumpy old german VW mechanics to be found here and there.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 11:34:28 pm »
Just an update to the project: Stefan's face is almost ready. I am working on the bus paintings, but they are quite hard to reproduce exactly. I think I'll be forced to some compromises.

Anyway I think I'll be able to show you something in some weeks. Kick me hard  (I mean: bump the thread pretending updates!) if you don't hear from me soon.

Giorgio

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 11:48:50 pm »
You're *volunteering* to bet your b&&& kicked?

;D ;D ;D ;D  Like all "artists", my mind tends to lose focus easily! And, seriously, lately I've been a bit busy with real-life stuff. But if I know there is interest and expectations from the forum, I'll try to find some time for the project!

Giò

vampireslure1608

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:30 am »
This stuff is really good, and as I writer I can understand the block, but please try not to lose focus for to long. ;)
I'm the kind of person who can't draw, or do any of that kind of stuff, so I love to look at other people's work. Great job! Can't wait to see the others!
P.S: Could you do pictures of Adam and Mercy, and Kyle and Warren? I'd love to see them.
Cute guys open my eyes, smart guys open my mind, but only sweet guys can open my heart.

Vampires Rule the World!