Author Topic: The 3D Mercy Project  (Read 22070 times)

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
The 3D Mercy Project
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:33:46 pm »
Hi to all,

sorry to have been away for many months, but I have moved to a new home, and I am still a bit out of place...

Anyway, in the last weeks I have started a project: to create a 3D model of our favourite walker/mechanic!

The work is still in progress. Here are some images of what I have done so far. They are hosted on Imageshack so click on thumbnails to see them at full resolution. They are all rendered with Poser 7 by e-frontier/Smith Micro.

This is a picture of Mercy's face. The base is the Victoria 4 polygonal mesh with the "Danah" morph by Mirandus-Arts and the "NadiaV4" texture by Thorne and Sarsa. The skin seems tanned enough for Mercy's skin. The hair is Lisbeth's Total Updo with textures by outoftouch.

I have done some customizations to the skin texture. This is the paw tattoo, derived from a real pawprint and superimposed to the texture using Paint Shop Pro 9.

And this is one of the two celtic armbands on Mery's arms. The design is a free image found on the internet and "tattooed" on the texture by me.

Then I have re-created  the polo shirt on the cover of "Iron Kissed".  The shirt mesh is by maveris & Stacey_73 of digitalmeanderings.com, while the logo, obviously, is by Daniel Dos Santos!

The next step was to create the famous lamb pendant. I have read ALL the thread about the pendant, and my favourite image was the amulet found by Elle on the Viking Trader site. So I have re-created it in 3D. The texture is mine, while the mesh is by Mirandus-Arts.

And finally this is the whole model. The pose is from the "Feeling Pretty" collection by Danie & Marforno.

These are only low-resolution test renders. The 3D model is now ready to be used for "real" pictures, like this one. This image is 1280x1024 so it could open slowly if you are on a slow connection.

Do you like my work-in-progress until now? Please feel free to comment and to critique it. I would be glad to hear your opinions!

Giorgio
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: The 3D Mercy Project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:05 pm »
Incredible work with making her 3-D!  Now time for me to pick it apart. ;)  She should look a bit older, her face is that of a 16 year old, super smooth and a bit too pretty. (she's not ugly, but not meltingly sweet looking either!)  You got her hair spot-on I think. :)  Her arms are a bit scrawny (that 16 year old thing again) remember, she's a mechanic, and even though she's a woman she should have a bit of muscle to her arms.  Lifting engines is NOT light work.  The clothes are great, if a bit spotless. ;)  (remember, garage, grimy greasy gunk EVERYWHERE, especially on hands).
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:41:33 am »
Thanks for the answer and the compliments, Drakkon. Let me address directly your notes:

1) Too clean: you are right, of course. I have finished the textures just this night and I was impatient to show you some pictures, so they are obviously spotless. Grease, dirt and whatever can be added either in postwork (directly on the rendered image) or, better, I can duplicate the skin and clothes textures creating a "dirty" version.

2) Arms too thin: again you are right, I will morph them adding a muscle layer. But not too much: my gym teacher used to say that "bodybuilding creates volume, while weightlifting creates strength", and the two concepts are somewhat different.

3) Too young: here I disagree a bit. In my eyes, she maybe seems a bit younger than 31 (around 25, 26yo) but surely not 16yo. Anyway I can try to "age" her a little, but just a little.

4) Too pretty: well, beauty is highly subjective... Compared with most Poser pin-ups found on 3D galleries, I can assure you that this facial morph is definitely "normal", with a realistic skin. And I remember that Sarah Shahi was suggested and "approved" as a good Mercy character in the movie thread....  not exactly an ugly girl, right?  ;)

Thanks again for your opinions! Please feel free to comment my work!  (and I would be extremely curious to hear Patty's opinion, but I don't dare to ask!   ::) )

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:35:38 am »
ksabers  - these are gorgeous  :)
And I think that you have really got Mercy's look right, but I agree that she should be more muscley --

Could you do ones for Adam, Sam and the rest  pretty please with sugar on top :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:36:13 am »
1)  Can't blame you for being eager to show 'em off either! ;) 
2)  Agreed, she definitely doesn't need a bunch of bulk, just enough so they're not rail-thin
3)  Certain things will age the skin.  Sun, strong winds, winter chill.  The area she lives in would have "hardened up" her skin just a bit.  She definitely shouldn't be a crone, but right now her skin looks...Pampered. 
4)  Maybe it was Mercy's view of herself in Iron Kissed so she may be a bit biased, but she said she was below average in looks except for her hair.  As you said, it's subjective and the only one who can tell us how close you got to Mercy being Mercy is Patty. ;)

Glad you didn't mind the critique. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:44 am »

Mind? Not at all! How can I improve without critique?? This evening I will try to implement your suggestions. In the next days I'll post the drafts for Mercy 2.0.

Could you do ones for Adam, Sam and the rest  pretty please with sugar on top :D

Adam is the next one on my list when I'll be satisfied with Mercy...   ;)

the only one who can tell us how close you got to Mercy being Mercy is Patty. ;)
I keep my humble fingers crossed hoping for a sign from the #1 Bestseller in person!   ;D  I just pray she will be not horrified too much!   ;)

Giorgio

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43:01 am »
Yay - I am really looking forward to it  ;D
And I have a feeling that Patty will be very impressed with these as well  ;)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:20:45 pm »

Mind? Not at all! How can I improve without critique?? This evening I will try to implement your suggestions. In the next days I'll post the drafts for Mercy 2.0.

Well I never know how people will handle an honest critique...I went graduated from college with a BFA, so I figure I may as well put those thousands of dollars to work and USE the critiquing skills I learned there to work!  Sometimes people take that as an attack though. :P 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:09 am »
ksabers, you do beautiful work. Truly they're outstanding, and you picked my favorite lamb amulet! Cool. :D

Like you said, beauty is subjective. I think what you have going is gorgeous, maybe a bit too exotic for Mercy. The only thing I could see is that her hair could be longer.

kudos to you! I can't wait to see what else you have cooking.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:38 pm »
Nice pics Giorgio!!  :)
I have to agree to a couple of issues that Grey pointed out already: the hair should maybe be a little longer and definitely a little more muscle.  8) I can't see her wrenching motor parts around with those stick thin arms :P  ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:15 am »

I know squat here, but could or should you straighten her back a bit?  That pose just says 'I'm too sexy for my shirt', instead of 'I'm working on a ^*&)( broken car engine!!!' to me.

LOL!   ;D  Actually the pose was intended to mean "I am stretching my back after being bended for a long time inside the car hood"... but I understand what you mean! Obviously a photographer would have chosen EXACTLY that moment to catch a sexy image!   :P
Seriously, the pic was just to show you her face and her shirt: there are a lot of posing and technical problems in it  (car engine not detailed, raytrace reflections too bad, etc. etc.). Think of it just as a draft.

Update of the project:

1) Face aged a little.... but just a little. Anyway I think the result is better than the first version.
2) Arms improved. They are 30% bigger and I have improved the biceps.
3) Hair more realistic and with more volume.

Regarding the hair, I have decided to NOT make it longer. I have two reasons for this decision, one "in character" and the other one "out of character":

1) I think she should be concerned about hair caught in fan belts, drive gears, and so on. Short hair, or not-so-long hair is better in my opinion.
2) If I make a long braid for her, everyone outside this forum would point a finger to my pictures saying "Look! It's Lara Croft!" and I want to avoid the resemblance.   ;)

What I can do is to push the braid downwards so it SEEMS longer  (so it touches the neck base, like on the "Iron Kissed" cover. Another thing on my To-Do list).

I have another hi-res picture to show you. Basically Mercy is showing you the interior of her garage. I have not yet created the "dirty" textures  (taming Photoshop is a time-consuming job)  so let's pretend that she has just received her brand-new shirt from Mike, ok?  ;D

And if you have requests for other poses or scenes, just let me know. For now, only with Mercy in them, ok?  (I have not modeled other characters yet).

Giorgio

FH

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:45 am »
Wow. This looks really gorgeous. Her face seems to acquire more personality.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 05:42:28 am »
ksabers I love it :) and I agree it feels like shes more alive here.

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 06:01:18 am »

ksabers I love it :) and I agree it feels like shes more alive here.

Thank you very much! When you take a 3D model and place it in a "real" picture, it automatically seems much better because it is posed, so obviously it has all the small details we subconsciously associate to a real person: body asymmetricity, eyes centered on camera and not unfocused, balancement, and so on.

This said, you can pose your model in a very amateurish way  (like me) or very professionally  (like some wonderful artists at Renderosity). I am just a beginner! Anyway, as always, doing something you like very much is a great way to learn. My project is done solely for fun, to learn more about 3D modelling, and to pay homage to Patricia and her books.

Giorgio

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 06:27:40 am »
I definitely dig the upgrades to her!  The arms are much more muscled without becoming unrealistic in bulk.  Her face has hit that point where she has vitality, but isn't "fresh off the farm". ;)