Author Topic: Storm Cursed (Mercy 11)  (Read 26510 times)

YuleRule

• Tinker
Re: Storm Cursed (Mercy 11)
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2019, 07:02:00 am »
You know, I kept having the same thought - of how can Sherwood be related to Bran. And the fact that his wolf knows more than he is saying means he is pretty old right?
Please Check These Out!

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2019, 07:51:54 am »
Lots to comment upon.

I'm not certain just how closely this fits times with Burn Bright, so I'm not certain there was time to give much of a warning about the Hardesty witches. But by the end of the week all the North American packs will now know. Did anybody ever calculate how long it took the peanut butter issue to reach Asia in Spain? LOL

Wulf! The new hand thing is interesting. It will probably be explained at the creepiest time. If killing vampires was that easy for walkers, Mercy's history might be a bit different. If Wulf is at peace, does that mean he accepts himself?  If he accepts himself as homicidal (re: his comment to Mercy that he will never be right) will this give him more leeway to be terrible? Or will he calm his craziness down a bit?

I am of the opinion that Sherwood is not related to Bran. Patty made sure that Mercy noted the strange language Sherwood spoke while saving the day with magic was NOT Welsh. I am also perfectly certain Bran knows who Sherwood is.

I felt a lack of Jesse in this book. She was there, but not a bright a presence. (How soon should she leave for college?)

I do wonder about Elizaveta and the effects of the absence her magic will have on the area and the pack. She didn't have to do as much clean up for the pack since they came out. The power vacuum someone mentioned in another thread could prove interesting.

YuleRule

• Tinker
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2019, 10:12:47 am »
Regarding Elizaveta and the power vacuum, it feels like having a witch on retainer is a bit less necessary for the pack. They have Aiden, and Joel to burn stuff down to ashes, and apparently Sherwood has some magic as well. Nothing that can be relied on ,I think, but still.

Mercy is finally mostly out of denial that Coyote is her father.
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
Regarding Campbell - I wonder how far back that goes; he's convinced he's not Native at all, so somebody hid it way back when. Then, how extended are the lives of Walkers who are further from their source than Mercy & Gary? Normal life spans, or longer at all?

Additionally, POTUS petting Warren.  LOL but- why did so many of the pack (& affiliates like Kyle) think that POTUS might have flown in? I was about 30% convinced someone was doing a mind twisty spell on them, the Love Talker thing. Did somebody's thoughts leak? Several somebodies?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:04 pm »
Regarding Campbell - I wonder how far back that goes; he's convinced he's not Native at all, so somebody hid it way back when. Then, how extended are the lives of Walkers who are further from their source than Mercy & Gary? Normal life spans, or longer at all?

Do Hawk/Coyote/ect. need to look Native American? I get the feeling Coyote crafted the body he wanted. Maybe Hawk decided to try being white?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 07:14:01 pm »
Also, it really bothers me that they let Wulfe in their home at the end. Or, at least, that was how I read it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:13 pm »
I'm hoping (it being summer) that this was outside.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2019, 04:47:49 am »

Do Hawk/Coyote/ect. need to look Native American? I get the feeling Coyote crafted the body he wanted. Maybe Hawk decided to try being white?

There is Native American blood in my family, but you have to go several generations back to find a full-blood. We are almost half Irish. The five of us in my generation range from looking pure Irish-American (me) to almost pure Native American (one of my brothers). My grandmother and her sister looked pure Native American, even though it was still at least four generations back from them to a pureblood. It's a complete roll of the dice which genes come out on top in the phenotype. That's yet another reason why race is really an artificial, political construct.

Furthermore, there is a lot of prejudice toward Native people in the Southwest and other regions. A Caucasian friend who moved out to AZ related some very disturbing examples to me. In my own family, my great-grandfather sold his bookstore in Richmond VA and moved his family to Baltimore so his kids could attend good schools (Google Walter Plecker sometime if you want to find out why that was necessary). Genetic testing has shown us that many, many people have surprises lurking in their ancestry (including my kids, who found Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry within the past six generations).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:56:49 am by pondhawk »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2019, 06:29:55 am »

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2019, 02:11:27 am »
Nice review; whenever I think of trying my hand at such, I realize what it takes to give an idea of the story without telling it. Telling everyone the butler did it isn't the way to go.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Melanie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2019, 09:13:43 am »
Also, it really bothers me that they let Wulfe in their home at the end.

Me too.

I'm hoping (it being summer) that this was outside.

No they were inside, but Stefan had once uninvited Andre. He can tell Adam and Mercy how to do it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2019, 06:09:42 am »
http://www.hotlistens.com/storm-cursed-audiobook-by-patricia-briggs-review/

Nice review, barring punctuation & proofreader not knowing the difference between "roll" and "role".

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2019, 08:12:31 pm »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I find Wulfe absolutely fascinating as a character.  I'm not convinced he's quite as crazy as he acts... or at least not crazy in the same way that he acts.  Sociopathic, certainly.  My own personal theory is that Wulfe once held power similar to Bonarata, but he's bored now with the power structure, so he's just playing and causing mayhem where he can, just to see what happens.  I'm curious to see what he meant by being at peace.  I'm curious about his new hand (though to be honest, I just kind of figured that vampires have some kind of super-human regenerative abilities.  We know that their hair still grows and that injuries heal despite them being dead).  I'm intrigued by him being a white witch.
Yes, he's creepy and terrifying, but he's also intriguing.

WHAT POSSESSED MERCY TO LET WULFE INTO HER HOUSE!?

I also think that Sherwood is not related to Bran, at least not closely, although I have considered it.  His wolf reminds me a bit of Sam, since it is coherent and able to operate independently of Sherwood... but the way Mercy described his magic... that reminded me most of Wellesley from Burn Bright.  So maybe his magic tends more towards something shamanistic or druidic.  Asil, I think, has said that he was a champion of the underdog, so I wonder if Sherwood might have lent himself to Robin Hood in the same way that Bran lent himself to Grendel; I feel like Bran would find amusement in the irony of Robin Hood being called Sherwood.  Pure speculation, of course. 

I'm also wondering why the pack didn't have more information from Bran and his pack regarding the Hardesty witches. Burn Bright took place within a couple of weeks following Silence Fallen, and I got the impression that Sturm Cursed is at least a decent span of time after Mercy and Adam have returned home from Europe.  However, I can't remember how much of the Marrok pack knew about Sage and the witches in the end; Bran may have chosen to keep the information close until they could do some more checking into things; they don't want to tip the rest of the Hardesty clan (and specifically any other spies in other wolf packs) off until Bran is sure he has the advantage (and maybe he was worried about tipping spies off regarding where Sherwood was off to).  And they probably figured that if Adam and Mercy ran into trouble, they'd reach out to Bran, Charles, or Samuel... and immediately have all of the details they needed.  Or any of a dozen other reasons that the information didn't get passed on.

Elizaveta not going to lie, I've been kind of waiting for pretty much exactly what happened with her - she gets into black magic, finds a way to gain herself some scary power and possibly immortality, and then Adam kills her.  Not shocked, though I am sad for Adam.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2019, 11:13:10 pm »
I don't quite respond to Wulf the way you do Kyria. Interestingly creepy yes, fascinating no. But that is personal taste.

I agree with the rest of your summation.

As to why Mercy let Wulf into her home, I could go with exhaustion, but why did no one else object?