Author Topic: References to short stories in the novels.  (Read 2128 times)

Menolly

• Tool Wrangler
References to short stories in the novels.
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:14 pm »
I think the first time I caught on to a reference to one of the short stories being referred to in one of the novels was Mercy following Thomas in Frost Burned and noting that his license plate said "Daylight." It was only on a reread of that novel that I got the reference to In Red with Pearls.

Of course, Silver was published after Silver Borne, so that tie in is obvious.  And Roses in Winter was the much requested follow up on Kara, but these were the reverse (a short story published in response to a plot line in a novel).

[Speaking of follow ups on children, I would love to hear more regarding the wizard Devonte from The Star of David.]

In Fire Touched, there is the obvious tie in to Fairy Gifts once again, as well as the slight nod to Redemption. What other short stories have been referenced in the novels, even in a very minute way?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: References to short stories in the novels.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:43 am »
Do you mean "Fairy Gifts" for the 'Daylight' thing? Red/Pearls is all Warren & the witch, no Thomas at all.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Menolly

• Tool Wrangler
Re: References to short stories in the novels.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:12 pm »
Yes. Fairy Gifts for the license plate in Frost Burned . Red/Pearls for when Mercy mentions, as she, Stefan, and Ben are going into Kyle's backyard to rescue him, that Kyle's next door neighbor had recently died. She knows no more than that, but it is obviously the result of Warren's investigation in Red/Pearls.

The reference to Ben's story Redemption in Fire Touched is in the aftermath on the bridge and Ben is ordering two pack members to accompany him. Mercy mentions Ben is moving up in the pack hierarchy, which Redemption is the beginning of.

Those are the sort of references to the short stories in the novels I would like to make a list of. I'm just not sure if the ones I mentioned are all of them, or if there are others I didn't catch.