Author Topic: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules  (Read 126938 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »
There's a rumor of a 3rd Tinker book, & there are a couple of short stories in that world available through Baen internet book sales.
I'd like to know how the families merge, or not, for Ukiah & Atticus too, but with the main Ontongard & Ae menaces dealt with, where do they go without it feeling like anticlimax?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 05:55:22 pm »
Don't get my hopes up, Patti....you know how I feel about the Tinker books....
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 06:13:59 pm »
i would love a third book!

for the Ukiah books though, i'm sure the ontongard won't give up that easily.  i'm positive they/it/? can think of some other master devious plan to take over the world and kill all the humans  :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
You mean, just because the Ae didn't survive, they can't make more?  Given the time to make the tools to make the weapon?  Which, of course the Ontongard have.
Sorry, Rob.  I saw it over at Baen's, but it's something I'd put from my mind, if I had your feelings about it, it's too far in the future.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2008, 07:18:50 pm »
maybe not the Ae per se, but something else diabolical and eeeeviiiiiillllllll.  the ontongard is supposed to be at least somewhat smart and i'm sure they can come up with other ways of trying to wake the sleepers and trying to take over the world (at least they can as soon as their author comes up with something ;D).  what would Rennie do anyway if the battle was over and done with.  for some reason i cannot picture him or pretty much any other member of the Pack working in an office building

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2008, 07:43:12 pm »
Okay, they can't wake the sleepers, the sleepers were blown up.  But they could root around in their genetic memory & ome up with some other weapon,quite true.  Remember, the Ontongard aren't really smart, per se, or they'd be able to figure out how to imitate normal human behavior better.
And you're right about the Pack, office r not them.  But there are other jobs.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »
part of me just can't see them settling down though  :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2008, 08:29:35 pm »
Some for sure!  Can you imagine Degas?!  Others might, after a fashion.  Consider John McCain, of Die Hard. . .  And they wouldn't have the aging issues if it came back at them again.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 10:09:40 am »
Ok..I love Ukiah Oregon, Tinker and Wolf Who Rules! Who wouldn't want their own Windwolf? And Tinker is just amazing. It might have just been me, but I didn't care for Endless Blue.  I just couldn't get motivated about the characters, so it might have just been me.

I have not read any of the Ukiah Oregon books(s), but I too loved Tinker and Wolf Who Rules and wish the author would stop dancing around and do a sequel to those stories.  ;)

I kind of share your opinion on Endless Blue as I had a hard time connecting with the characters at first, and when they finally started to click the book came to a jaring halt.  It was almost like the story was being set up for a series, and then the author changed her mind at the end and had to tie up as much as possible in the last few chapters.  ???
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »
On Ukiah and Prime's get, I thought of some other possiblities. Invent another alien menace; could the Ontongard be the only ones?
Shoot what if there was another sport like Prime, but paranoid & wanting to be rid of the other Ontongard & any other offspring?
How about an alien race that hunts Ontongard sucessfully, & catches their 'scent' on Earth, then has to be convinced that they don't have to kill all of them?  I think that one would rock, and could go on for some volumes.  Ontongard hunting in Europe, Asia, Africa, anyone?  What would those aliens look like?  How hard would they be to disguise to move among Terra's masses?

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2008, 05:40:12 pm »
In the books she implies that there are other alien races, so why not?  I think that they would be radically different in behavior, so there would be a learning curve to find them, maybe. 
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2008, 05:50:38 pm »
Well, I don't think any of the Pack intends to get humans into space any time soon, they know some of the dangers.
The Ontongard don't want *us* in space, what they/it want is more backup to take us & essentially eat us.  Other races may or may not see us as food, or as allies.  Or slaves, beasts of burden, brood carriers. . . the list is diverse.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »
*happy shivers*

I know.  Maybe the other species would track them down in order to get a better knowledge of how to fight the Ontguard?  Insider information, but with potentialy catastrophic results since they can't be sure what's happening on Earth when they approach?  Maybe they were monitoring the spread of Ontguard and noticed the decline on Earth, went to investigate, and couldn't deside if the DB's were friend or foe?
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2008, 06:13:50 pm »
By DBs, do you mean Pack?  Prime's Get?  Yep.  The information being broadcast from Terra is ambiguous at best regarding who & what is in charge, for an alien race to try to figure out if ONE predator race is there, let alone a rebel offshoot of it would be awfully difficult.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2008, 06:41:38 pm »
I mean the Pack, but more specifically Prime's two 'clones', since they tend to be the focus of the Pack.