Author Topic: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion  (Read 214748 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: Patricia Briggs Cover Art Discussion
« Reply #645 on: January 19, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »
CK, the wolf that is Anna's reflection is also not black. 

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #646 on: January 19, 2013, 08:29:37 pm »
Oops I didn't really notice that. :-[ you are right, but it's not Daniel so....

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #647 on: January 20, 2013, 01:37:38 am »
Didn't feel the male human reflection looked much like Charles, either.  It's still a cool idea.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #648 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:18 pm »
Hey, you work in this business for a while, and you eventually set your expectations pretty low.

Patty has had very good luck with covers *knocks on wood*  but we've seen some authors who haven't been so fortunate.  So far Patty hasn't had them, for example, put a rocket ship on her urban fantasy, or a bland landscape on her high fantasy.  If the hair color isn't always right, that's pretty minor in terms of selling books. 

Don't get me wrong.  We love it when a cover manages to really capture the feeling of the book.  I LOVE Dan Dos Santos, and his work just gets better over time.   I happen to know he's a little stressed about Mercy -- there's a lot of constraints the publisher has placed on Mercy covers, and after seven covers he's starting to run out of ideas.  It doesn't help that they've had him painting the covers six or eight months before Patty finishes the book, so he doesn't even have a manuscript to work from.

Still, every time I see a new cover, I breathe a sigh of relief that it doesn't feature a raging space battle or a mystery-slut whose artfully-tattered clothes must be held in place by magic. 

P.S.  I really like the Frost Burned cover, but does any one else think it looks like a Palmolive commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bEkq7JCbik

Relax, Mercy, You're soaking in it!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:53:37 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #649 on: January 22, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »
Hmm.... I've gotta say, that's a pretty abstract comparison for me!   LOL She does appear to have very soft hands and nice nails for a mechanic in that picture, though when I zoom in on it, it does look like she has some small grease stains around the finger knuckles of the nearer hand.  (Er... that could be due to the quality of my monitor, though, too.)

I had not noticed until now, though, the yellow glowy look of her eyes in that picture!  Just like Gabriel describes...  bOuNcY

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #650 on: January 22, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »
I had noticed it but chose to overlook it as artistic license since that's a werewolf trait (well, for those with golden eyes in their wolf forms, such as Adam) not a Mercy trait... but now we know it actually happens!  (With as early as the covers get done, I'm wondering if Mr. Dos Santos is psychic or if Patty had that particular detail worked out well in advance...)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #651 on: January 22, 2013, 04:32:49 pm »
... or if Patty incorporated it after seeing the art?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #652 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:25 pm »
I don't know which came first, the text or the cover with regards to the glowing eyes. 

With regards to the Palmolive crack, it's just the position of her hands.  Limp wrists, fingers dangling.  Maybe it's a guy thing, but I don't think I've EVER held my hands like that.  It's uncomfortable. :P
Where's my super-suit?

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #653 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »
I've held my hands like that.  If I'm leaning back on my elbows (or just one elbow).  Which I don't do often, admittedly, but sometimes it can be an effective posture. 

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #654 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:42 pm »
Hmm...  must be a guy thing  LOL  When I read your post, I looked at my hands.  One was, of course, resting on the mouse, and the other was dangling in pretty much the position Mercy's hands are pictured in, with my elbow resting on the arm of the chair.  I leaned back to think about this, resting my other elbow on the other arm of the chair, and lo, there went my other hand, right into that position!

Now you've done it!  I'm going to be totally distracted for the foreseeable future by trying to observe how my hands are positioned when they think I'm not paying attention to them!  (OK, not totally your fault -- on Friday a friend talked me into getting my very first ever professional manicure, and I'm already intermittently distracted by the fact that my nails are red!  and shiny! and shaped like the nails in a Palmolive commercial!)  LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #655 on: June 18, 2020, 06:01:04 am »
Wouldn't it be fun to have Adam join Mercy on a book cover?  Do you think his wolf form looks like the wolf version of this gorgeous horse?

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #656 on: June 18, 2020, 12:47:10 pm »
I don't know, but that's quite beautiful.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #657 on: June 18, 2020, 07:23:42 pm »
It would be fun, and that horse is gorgeous.