Author Topic: Roses in Winter | Shifting Shadows SPOILERS POSSIBLE  (Read 30610 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Roses in Winter | Shifting Shadows SPOILERS POSSIBLE
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
It's some kind of contact, but it's probably making Leah feel more like a mistress or flat out whore than a wife/mate=partner.
Being given some of the financial responsibilities, as stated in Fair Game, may help, but Roses happened before that.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:15 pm »
True Leah might feel unappreciated and like a mistress, but she's a grown woman and that is what she chose. She knowingly went into this relationship with Bran and she knowingly stays. Now I don't know if she ever decided she wants to have a loving relationship with someone and give up the power she has now, if she could just leave, and Bran would let her go. I mean I'm sure Bran can find quite a few women like Leah whom he wouldn't have problems distancing himself from, or ever have feelings for (husband and wife kind), and I know when Mercy and Adam first mated and she joined the pack, I think Bran mentioned to her if she ever wanted out he could tell her how. It isn't done often or maybe even very rarely, but that doesn't mean it isn't an option, or something that's available. I know Bran's extremely dominant and possessive, so I don't know what he'd do if Leah said what he's continuing to offer her isn't good enough. Still I find it hard to feel sorry for her because of her behavior in the past, to other people, Sage, Anna, and Mercy (when she was a child), her abuse of trying to kill or hurt Mercy when she was a child to me is unforgiveable. So her husband loves his sons and Mercy, but can't allow himself to feel that way about her, she is still treated like a queen in many ways, Leah is treated very well under the circumstances, compared to a lot of other characters and their situations/backgrounds and things they have been through.

I just LOVE Bran he is one of my absolute favorite characters and I actually feel bad for him that he has to be in that kind of relationship (feel to love and lose someone again) to control his monster. I think he deserves a lot more, and I wonder if there was ever another way for him to control the berserker if he would ever allow himself to love in that way, or ever came across another were whom he could of seem himself loving. Probably it's pointless to speculate since PB mentioned she had no plans for Leah and Bran to ever separate, or anything happen to Leah and the fact that their mated.

pcpoet

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2015, 12:41:47 am »
believe it or not there might be genuine affection of Leah for Kara.
   lets look at everything the fact that mercy was coyote not werewolf might of had a big impact on Leah's wolf. who is to say that it was more her wolf wanting to kill mercy then anything else. Most of the werewolves first reaction to mercy is to fallow there wolf and eliminate her. it is only a few werewolves that she is on really good terms with. the others tolerate her because Adam has laid it down as the law that she is pack. and as of the last few books she has become pack Mated with Adam with all that rank means.
   Kara is still a juvenile and according to the story in roses in winter her mother has rejected her out of fear. and even her dad who has not rejected her is afraid of her.  I am sure that this has made Kara  extremely wanting of parental love when she came to the mark's house hold. before coming here the girl has tried to even kill herself if I remember correctly.  So with Kara you have a child that is really looking for a parental figure.
    Leah is a person that is not will liked by most if not all of the pack. that is a lonely position for anyone to be in also Leah probably like a lot of women that cant have kids would of liked to of been a parent.. Kara is placed in her house a child desiring someone to mother her and her wolf that  reacted negatively to mercy is not reacting that way to Kara in fact her wolf is seeing a juvenile wolf to take charge of.
    I could see someone being in a world of hurt from Leah if Leah thought that some one had done something to Kara.

this is all musings on my part until the author does more writings it is really hard to no what is the situation between Kara and Leah. for all we no Kara thought that she should not speaking  ill of Leah out of fear of it getting back to Leah

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:04 am »
I know it's a wolfs instinct to kill a coyote, but what about their human side to not harm a child? How about the side of them that was fully human before they were turned and that thought adults were suppose to protect and keep children safe? How much of their human nature and values, tendencies is left? Because even though they're wolves (if they couldn't control their wolf Bran would of had the killed or is working with them and watching over them in his own pack) I think any malignant or harmful behavior toward a child is inexcusable. So When Mercy mentioned Leah tried to kill her and hurt her as a child, the times she taunted Mercy by putting down her foster parents who died in front of her, and who knows that else she did to hurt when she was a kid (and the only one like her), when Mercy stops back in Mooncalled I think she mention when Leah started hunting her she would of killed Mercy if she could be sure Bran never found out, and she was still willing to hurt her. Mercy also I think has some dominance herself, and everyone knows that even if never showed it to their face. Also I remember reading about how the women of Aspen Creek really like Leah and follow her lead, I took that to mean not just female wolves, but the mated humans too, (which again we saw in Mooncalled, Mercy mentions a human women who hates her, she says they all did) you could say they were just sucking up to the bosses wife, but to be openly nasty to Mercy when Leah isn't even around doesn't make sense. And for the child Mercy was to know even human females don't like her? These women have the ability to have kids (slim chances with a wolf, but still the ability with someone else, their choice), so the humans didn't like Mercy running with the wolves when they can't, because they aren't ready or whatever to try and make the change, and the female wolves hate her because she's lesser prey and can have children (which they didn't know for sure). Petty jealousies they took out on a kid who had no one.

With everyone we know about Leah or the mentions of her and how she is on page time. I think if Leah is being nice to Kara it's for a reason, and none out of some motherly paternal feelings, because she feels like Kara needs someone. The only thing I can think of is either Bran had a stern talking to her, or she knows of Asil's affection for the child and his response to someone who treated her badly.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:32 am »
Humans are complex, and they get more so when you add werewolf turning to the mix.
Leah is hardly the only werewolf to be willing to hurt/kill children or women; see Jean Chastel, or the wolves of Leo's pack in Chicago, or just the rouge who turned Kara.

Leah could have a general animosity to other females, but pick the one individual, Kara, to love.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
It's possible for Leah to love (come to love) Kara, anything's possible in this world. I just don't see Leah all of a sudden acquiring a new character trait and changing out of the blue, because a child wolf comes to stay in her house. Maternal feelings she might never of had or noticed before show themselves, and all of a sudden she's a slightly changed person. Because I think truly loving a child one you come to view as your own or not does change you, or alter your makeup if only slightly. Unless it's just a side we've never seen before of Leah that's she's always kept hidden and now it can't help but show itself in this particular circumstance. Could be this new (old?) development who make a few anti-Leah fans more understanding of her and her nature, maybe change their opinions on this (for some) hated character, (the intended view majority feeling towards her?). Though I'd think it'd also slightly change Bran's, and he'd view her a little differently? Soften towards her? Like he did for a few seconds just when he saw her sleeping in his bed, and not being all nice and motherly to a child whose in need of some kindness. And we know from PB that this is something Bran doesn't want, can't allow, and probably their relationship isn't going to change or at least Leah will most likely stay his mate, and unless something that was thought to be impossible, a miracle happens that helps Bran control his Berserker in a new way (balance it out), I don't think Leah will change from someone Bran's human side despises to someone he has more empathy and understanding for seeing her in a new motherly light. She just needed to find that special someone to care for to make her change her ways, to show her the light? Then again it could be everything about Leah stays the same, but she loves and keeps Kara to raise as her own (maybe as best friends?), and that's that.

Anything is possible, but to me this would definitely be a new twist into a character we (some of us) thought we pretty much knew. At least in regards to the type of person they were. I wonder though if this is important to any of the story lines, now or perhaps making way for the future? Or if it's just one of those things that aren't meant to be thought of too deeply.

pcpoet

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:09 pm »
I don't see Leah as changed but I don't see leash as all evil. not a nice wolf but as long as Kara reacted as a member of her pack and showed Leah the respect Leah thinks she deserves why would Leah not be protective other then wanting to kill mercy as a child we e don't know of Leah interaction with young children in the marak pack area.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 07:38:45 pm »
Yea you're right we don't know of Leah's interaction with any of the children in her pack, it's never been brought up or mentioned. And aside from Mercy maybe she would be protective over them, I can't say since I have nothing other than a basic judge of character to go on with this one. Of course Sage and Anna are pack members and we saw how Leah treated them, though Sage seemed more protective of newbie Anna who had been through a lot in order to give Leah her queenly respect, and Anna had just gotten there, I'd had to reread that scene but I don't think she got a chance to show respect. I don't know much about Sage, I'm guessing she's more of a "respect earned" kind of girl, or "respect is given automatically for your position up until a point", and Anna was disliked because of her close association with Charles, who is disliked (hated) because his father actually loves him, like Samuel, although Leah probably despises both their long past mothers too.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:40:17 pm by Kristenann »

pcpoet

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:41 pm »
I am sure that Leah sees the marocks kids as threat to her power.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:43 am »
It's possible, but there's the whole woman can't rule thing. I mean she takes the status of Bran which is the highest one, but if anything happened to him I think Charles or Samuel is next in line. And despite how they don't understand why Bran chose Leah as his mate I don't see how they could do anything about it and replace her. Though it would be nice.

Nille

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2015, 11:43:52 pm »
It's possible, but there's the whole woman can't rule thing. I mean she takes the status of Bran which is the highest one, but if anything happened to him I think Charles or Samuel is next in line. And despite how they don't understand why Bran chose Leah as his mate I don't see how they could do anything about it and replace her. Though it would be nice.

I think they respect and obey their father to much to try and replace Leah. Leah is not only Bran's wife but also his mate and I think it is the mate thing the safe Leah from that kind of thing. You also have to remember Bran is very dominant and if his sons try something like that I think his wolf will dicipline them or even send them away from him. I think Samuel and Charles know this and don't think Bran will become to vulnerable for their comfort.
[/url]