Author Topic: Particular Scenes that make you cry or laugh  (Read 17897 times)

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
Re: Crying/Laughing
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 09:37:33 am »
I just wanted to ask...

I've read this entire series so much that I had to go out and buy all new books (I really hope that Rhapsody or one of the other hardcover clubs picks this series up soon so I can replace my books yet again)

But Blood Bound Iron Kissed (*oops ... corrected mistake*)is the one that everytime I read it, I cry.  At least 5 times now, I've cried over Mercy's plight, her fear and helplessness, and her saviors help. The fact that Ms Briggs wrote the scene so powerfully that we didn't need every horrid detail spelled out, was woinderful.  I love that we were left to our imaginations this way, it made it more powerful for me.

SO my question is  -   Does anyone else cry over these scenes?

Did anyone else see the humor (as did I) in this scene?   pg 239 -  "His voice stopped because Adam dropped an arm (not one of his)and focused on Ben. "

Heh, I noticed the dark humor. ;D Reminds me a little of Pulp fiction, don't ask me why... ;)
At first I too didn't realize what was happening, so I had to reread the scene a couple of times, and when I realized it I was like "Holy Mary Mother of God!!! :o", but I didn't cry, as I did, for example in The Time Traveler's wife, I was literally bawling at the end of that, or Marc Levy's Sept jours pour un éternité, or at the end of the first book of the Black Jewels Trilogy, Daughter of the Blood.
But this doesn't mean I didn't hate Tim to the core. >:( And I think that the fact that most of us feel so powerfully about him and are so affected by that scene is a huge tribute to Patty's skill at writing. :)

i did shed a few tears the first time i read Iron Kissed.  and as for the Black Jewels Trilogy, it was the ending of the third book that really made be bawl (the scene where Daemon is talking to the statue and starts crying)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 01:32:48 pm »
I cried at those parts too Rox_squirrel!

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 11:56:19 am »
I didn't cry with Iron Kissed, but I did shed a few tears in the Black Jewels Trilogy when the Demon Dead walked into the web, but the books absolutely guaranteed to make me cry are the last three Harry Potters and the last book in Trudi Canavan's Magician's Guild series.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

marie.sophia

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:06 am »
That scene with Adam and Ben really hit me hard(first time reading the book.) A few others have made me mist up like I did reading that.

Lots of books have made me laugh though.

For what its worth Tim doesnt care if hes "nice " or not. Rape , in the end, is about power and control. I dont think he cares about what Mercy really feels except that he wants what he wants, and hes willing to kill her to get it. Making her love him was just another way to control her. What he's too blind to realize is that people kill the ones they love all the time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:45:14 am by marie.sophia »

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 06:08:20 am »
I noted the humor in the scene were Adam drops the arm*shudder*... and the scene between Adam and Ben really was powerful and I'm sure it was quite a hard piece to write it that perfectly.

I liked that Adam was showing emotion but still was a a powerful alpha enough to not simply act on it but wait until Ben came to the point and explained it all to him... maybe in a unusual way, but how to approach such a topic?

GW  WK  WH

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 06:36:26 am »
I liked that Adam was showing emotion but still was a a powerful alpha enough to not simply act on it but wait until Ben came to the point and explained it all to him... maybe in a unusual way, but how to approach such a topic?

Which made Ben really really brave since most Alphas or even dominant wolves eat him for breakfast. But I think his insights and previous experience which Adam must have known or sensed allowed him to voice the situation that Mercy was in. There was no way Ben could not have broach the subject without challenging Adam's authority because he was blinded by his own guilt and hurt over Mercy's rape. But I am glad that he did because the misunderstanding would have created a huge rift between Mercy and Adam.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 08:18:47 am »
not to mention that Mercy would have probably left the Tri-Cities, which would drastically change the story  :)

Darcia

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 08:28:43 am »
*SPOILER*

I was also crying when i read it the first and 2nd time. What happened to Mercy in the garage is terrible and I am really glad that she, being/having a very strong character, got over it. :)

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 01:11:12 pm »
I'm not really a crying kind of person, but this is a first.(I'd add a cry face but my computer isn't working with it.)
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Particular Scenes that make you cry or laugh
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
The letter to Adam at the end of "River Marked".
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

snapdragon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43:25 am »
Several scenes have gotten to me -

In Moon Called when Mercy is out taunting the people in the boat at the Reservation with her "furried self".
Stop and rob. - I love that description

Iron Kissed the scene after the rape.
And I enjoy the part where Warren takes her on a walk and asks her how long they will be walking and she drops to the street and starts to drag herself.  :D

In Bone Crossed when she talks about her mom having a "Barbie gun."

When she is trapped by the Fey Queen in Silver Born. When Adam was all burned trying to save her believing that she was in her burning trailer.  :-'

In the opening chapter of Frost Burned when they are Christmas shopping. The undulating dragon of the line. 

The shoes in Night Broken make me laugh.

mellinatre

• Tinker
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »
The first time I read Iron Kissed I cried like a baby (yep I am talking about that Tim's scene and what comes next..with poor Mercy so messed up)

and about the rape also now every time that I am about to re-read that scene I skip it..sorry but my little heart can't handle it another time  :-'

talking about funny things

I actually find pretty hilarious that the walking stick is so "in love" with Mercy that its try any chance it gets to kill Adam