Author Topic: Do you like Auriele?  (Read 9604 times)

mellinatre

• Tinker
Do you like Auriele?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:20:54 am »
I haven't yet warmed out about her mostly because for me she always seems as snotty as her husband, but at least Darryl seems totally conscious about his "Holier-than-thou" attitude...and she have gone down a few notches more with her behavior toward Jesse, Mercy and Adam in the last book

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Do you like Auriele?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:40:20 pm »
I was liking Auriele, until the last couple of books. She and Mercy may not have been on the best of terms, but she did seem to get along well with almost everyone else.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »
I think when she's not being twisted by Christie, she'll be better, but she's not a friend to Mercy, and probably never will be.  They'll tolerate each other, like mothers in a PTA or work wives who have to socialize every so often.  They won't go out of their way to be around each other, I'm sure.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:35:11 pm »
You notice Auriele is never given Mercy guard duty? LOL

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:52:57 pm »
I don't like her. She can sometimes come across as someone who refuses to see both sides of the story. Once she makes her mind up about something she doesn't budge.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:57:24 am »
I don't like Auriele I think she was quick to turn against Mercy, ever since that first phone call from Christy, and she even partially turned against and argued with her mate about the Christy issue. Her interrupting Mercy's shower when Adam was in there was rude and inappropriate, that she can just walk right in their bedroom at a personal time for something stupid. She was rude and just plain nasty to Mercy throughout Night Broken and she doesn't know her place, doesn't see Mercy as an alpha after all Mercy has done and also died in that book for them (Christy), she seems to think way more highly of herself and that her and Christy are so much better then Mercy and our poor coyote can never do enough or prove herself enough to change that or make it better with characters like this and we have come so far in the series.

If anything you'd think she'd show a little respect for the fact Mercy is Bran's adoptive daughter, since she won't show it as the mate of her Alpha, and therefore disrespects Adam.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
Disrespect/challenge for position, for her, or for her mate, or for both?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:58 am »
I am a little uncomfotable with the phrase "doesn't know her place". Hierarchy in the pack is somewhat fluid. There is enough negative energy to go on without suggesting that any individual character should simply accept their current place in the hierarchy as permanent. The fact that Auriele is both female and African American makes that phrase doubly questionable to me.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:45 am »
Well the pack structure seemed pretty set to me until Mercy began changing things up and some of the pack members started questioning it. I wasn't referring to Auriele "knowing her place" as if she is a real person (female of any ethnicity) I was speaking strictly in the werewolf sense, but maybe by saying that I wasn't phrasing it well. I meant the interruption of both her alphas during a private moment in the shower, which I wouldn't even do to anyone, if anything I'd knock on the bedroom door first because anything else is just rude, and with supernatural hearing the odds are they'd notice, it's just more respectful. And the way she talked to Mercy wasn't as if she was trying to have a conversation, and bring Mercy around to her way of thinking or give her advice, or even air out a thought that was bothering her. It was openly hostile, a negative attitude before Mercy even had a chance to speak or explain, perhaps I was just reading it that way, similar to "I don't like you and anything you say I'm going to take badly in a jump down your throat approach. It didn't have to do with her being a woman, it had to do with how someone would treat or talk to their boss or any high ranking official. More in a "job position" way, than anything else only werewolf style.

Like how we don't see a lot of werewolves speaking to Bran in that manner or tone, could be Adam or anyone else.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:25 am »
Yes, that's what I meant by enough negative energy to go on. And you know that the pack structure has never been set in stone, or we would not have seen the dominance challenges which are significant scenes in certain books. Also, if Mercy is the one changing things up, it seems a little hard to say that she is the only one allowed to challenge the order of things.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 01:29:02 pm »
I don't think Mercy is the only one allowed to change the order of the pack structure or anything else throughout the series, there are plenty of other characters that could make the attempt. I don't think the structure is completely set in stone, just not so easy to move or change in a short amount of time, I've always thought of these type things as taking time, time for people involved to adjust. The dominance fights I've always thought were two alpha werewolves close in dominance butting heads or battling it out to remove someone and place themselves in that position. And there is plenty of negative energy going around in real life and fiction novels, I never thought Auriele should completely except her place, I think it'd be great if she wanted to have a position of her own different or higher up than her mate if that's what she wanted to go for, if she wanted to become an alpha of her own pack woman or no she can go for it, more power to her. If Honey ever wanted to be an alpha and climb up the ranks as they are I think that would be great, but since I like her character I just hope she wouldn't get hurt doing it, but I haven't heard of any alphas so far getting their position without some pain along the way. This all is just my viewpoint of a character that changes or strengthens as I go along with my continued read of the series, I don't have a positive viewpoint of Paul either, because that's how he was written for me. Maybe some people don't feel the same. Some people go to work everyday and don't like their job position, they might have negative views of a boss or manager, the CEO of their company ect, maybe they don't like the structure and want every employee to be on the same paying level and position, I would never tell these people that their life is set in stone and thinking about them only having one place in the world never moving up is too negative to comment on, I'd say you don't like it change it, go for the move.

Actually I'm pretty sure Auriele's mate Darryl told Warren quite a few times what his place was. He's Adams second which I thought meant the werewolves and their mates took certain orders from him, like when Adam was injured and his pack didn't know where he was, when Warren wouldn't talk and tell Adams second they fought. And Mary Jo like a few others didn't want Warren in the pack at all they didn't think he belonged, I never said that I LOVE Warren, but they did or at least that's what Ben told Mercy. I'm not writing their place or position, I'm interpreting it. I don't tell anyone what their place is and how they should keep to it, I was just that her doing certain things I don't think are respectful or treating and talking to Mercy the alphas mate in a certain matter was breaking some unspoken rules. After all I'm pretty sure Auriele told Mercy that she didn't belong with them she was just a coyote, her place wasn't in the pack and wasn't with Adam.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:38:40 pm by Kristenann »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »
The fact that Auriele is both female and African American makes that phrase doubly questionable to me.

Quick point of fact, Auriele, is actually Hispanic according to SB.

I suspect that Auriele might have some issues with no longer being the most dominant woman in the pack. However, in the short period of time before Christy showed up in NB, Auriele did seem to be able to get along with Mercy. They were working together and carrying on a conversation that was not strictly necessary. It might be that Auriele has difficulty not taking sides, and knowing Christy longer/better than Mercy she jumped to Christy's defense without thinking it through.

Nille

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:50 pm »
I don't like Auriele I think she was quick to turn against Mercy, ever since that first phone call from Christy, and she even partially turned against and argued with her mate about the Christy issue. Her interrupting Mercy's shower when Adam was in there was rude and inappropriate, that she can just walk right in their bedroom at a personal time for something stupid. She was rude and just plain nasty to Mercy throughout Night Broken and she doesn't know her place, doesn't see Mercy as an alpha after all Mercy has done and also died in that book for them (Christy), she seems to think way more highly of herself and that her and Christy are so much better then Mercy and our poor coyote can never do enough or prove herself enough to change that or make it better with characters like this and we have come so far in the series.

If anything you'd think she'd show a little respect for the fact Mercy is Bran's adoptive daughter, since she won't show it as the mate of her Alpha, and therefore disrespects Adam.

I think the same. Auriele didn't show respect to anyone or even being nice to people. I find it hard to cope with people who act like Auriele did in Night Broken. To me it looked like she were running a kind of spoiled brat show.
[/url]

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:08 am »
"Quick point of fact, Auriele, is actually Hispanic according to SB.

I suspect that Auriele might have some issues with no longer being the most dominant woman in the pack. However, in the short period of time before Christy showed up in NB, Auriele did seem to be able to get along with Mercy. They were working together and carrying on a conversation that was not strictly necessary. It might be that Auriele has difficulty not taking sides, and knowing Christy longer/better than Mercy she jumped to Christy's defense without thinking it through." - Zealith

Sorry, and thanks for pointing that out; obviously a reread of SB is in order for me. But the different ethnic group does not change my original point. And as you note, our original view of Auriele was much more positive than from the perspective of her behavior in Night Broken, which I found a little perplexing. Your hypothesis makes sense.

Also, people like Christie can be very adept at sowing discord without others catching on. I once had a colleague who went around basically telling lies about what other people had said, purely in order to set everyone at odds. I had been warned about her, but didn't believe it until she slipped up and lied about what people were writing in logbooks. That was easy to check, and it turned out that she was making things up out of whole cloth. This woman had no motive to do this other than pure malice; it didn't gain her anything but satisfaction. Christie has, in her own mind, valid reason to get rid of Mercy, and manipulating Auriele to be on her side would be right up her alley. It doesn't say a lot for Auriele that she can't recognize this, but I'm not ready to give up on her completely yet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:36:25 am by pondhawk »

misspiggy4ever

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 08:12:50 pm »
I'm about to get in my feelings so be warned.

I can't stand Auriele. She drives me crazy and I don't like her. She's a female werewolf and a minority. So her treatment of Warren makes me so mad. As a minority myself, I think she should have more empathy and understanding. She herself is part of a group that is marginalized, especially being a female wolf. In addition, she's also married to a man that's half black and chinese. One would think she would understand what it's like to be judged and mistreated unjustly. But instead of learning from that and judging others based on their character, she is one of the pack members that were mean to Warren. Drives me crazy every time I think about it. Patty has said that the older wolves are stuck in the past regarding social rules that governed them in their past, however, Auriele isn't that old so she can't claim that very weak excuse either. Nope, I don't like her at all. ::takes deep breath:: ok, rant over.

Hopefully, she'll warm up to Warren and will realize what an asset he is to their pack.