Author Topic: Mercy Thompson #9  (Read 43876 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Mercy Thompson #9
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
Well, that's going to put the fox among the geese!
How about if the Primals get involved; or other supernaturals that - like the Primals - are not fae?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »
I just noticed that it is suggested Mercy is defying Bran.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »
Looks more than "suggested" to me!
The question is, how is Adam getting away with it?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 09:35:32 pm »
Well, if Bran is not in the immediate vicinity watching and telling him, "no!", Adam may be able to disobey, if Bran does not know. Look at how Leo was able to treat Anna before Bran found out about it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 10:01:28 pm »
Bran hadn't given a direct "don't brutalize Omegas" order.  I'm fairly sure there's a "don't antagonize the fea" order out. 
But I could be wrong; I often am.  :)

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 10:04:37 pm »
Well, there is a don't change anyone without their permission rule, and whoever turned Kara broke it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
Kara AND Anna!  ~but the one who changed Kara was a lone, if not rogue, and Justin... was Justin.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 10:33:18 pm »
True. I'm merely giving evidence that it is possible to defy Bran. If he finds you, your life expectancy is not good, but it is possible.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
I was thinking more of the physical impossibility of defying an alpha, like... the guy who gave Anna Bran's phone number, being as close to defying Leo's orders as he could get.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 11:03:47 pm »
Very true. But as Leo's second, he was usually in or near Leo's presence. He became Leo's second because all of the other more dominant wolves were killed by Leo or his psycho mate. Which means he was probably not any where close to the dominance level of Leo.

Adam is forth in Alpha hierarchy. And he is not in Bran's presence. Who knows how much Mercy's influence plays with is dominance?

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 07:58:45 am »
Adam is forth in Alpha hierarchy. And he is not in Bran's presence. Who knows how much Mercy's influence plays with is dominance?

You mean like maybe Mercy's influence/the mate bond thing might allow Adam to disobey Bran? Since we know Mercy has no trouble with that, and mates can draw on their mate's power, and maybe it's not all one-way?
Thinking of that, wouldn't it be funny if it turned out Charles could draw on Anna's omega power?  LOL

Or maybe Mercy's the one disobeying Bran and she's taken inspiration from Christy's not-letting-Adam-answer-the-phone strategy, but for a far better reason? But then Bran could just give orders telepathically... unless there's a distance restriction? But Bran managed to contact Samuel in Adam's pack's territory in Cry Wolf telepathically while asleep, so maybe not.

So how else could Adam possibly manage to disobey Bran? Unless Coyote decided to interfere or help Mercy interfere, because Bran's wolves disobeying him is fun and chaotic,  >D :D  O) and there's a child that needs to be protected at stake?

Or maybe Adam's dominant enough that he can disobey direct orders from Bran without any help. We know Asil can't, but Charles can, so if Adam is between the two in terms of dominance, he might be able to just decide not to obey Bran if he feels like it. Did he disobey Bran in Silver Bourne? I can't remember exactly, if Bran gave a direct order or not when they were talking on the phone, and Adam refused to hand the phone to Mercy or Samuel, but it might have been an order?

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 06:59:40 pm »
I just cannot wait for this book to come out. But I have to.

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 03:10:48 am »
Hmmmmm, a boy in their protection. I don't think its Tad because he is already being held in the reservation and I can't see it being Gabriel because it says "a human child, stolen by the fae long ago" which to me implies the boy has just escaped. Gabriel was raised with his family.

So I think it's a boy they meet after they track the troll down.

As for disobeying Bran. I think it depends on how Bran phases his orders. Mercy is very good at listening to orders but then take a different meaning to them. So in the end she does her own thing regardless. Similar to the fae lying with the truth. 

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 08:28:53 am »
From the brief description of the next book it almost sounds like the fae are planning to go to war and make a move on the human world until the boy turns up missing or escapes? And if he's human and the fae took him "long ago" how is he still a child? Why would the fae and with all their power want or need this one human child, unless they and Bran have seen something important including him in the future for their use. And does Bran want the child turned over in his custody to use him against the fae and stop the coming war, or does he want the boy turned over to see if the fae back down? And how can Adam and Mercy protect a child even Adam's pack on their side from Bran and all his wolves and the fae? Do they somehow get the aid from vamps? I wonder what their take on the matter is, since if fae start killing more humans that puts a dent in their blood supply, and the number of humans around to turn and increase their numbers?

You'd think since Mercy has a fondness for Tad, Zee, and Uncle Mike the lords would think to try and use them against Mercy and make a trade for the child if they somehow can't get pass the pack to get to him. Coyote could help, but even so, one powerful enemy at a time is a trial for our favorite coyote girl let alone the powers at be coming from all sides. I doubt Bran would try force with Mercy, physical or otherwise, other than to order the child over, but he knows how well she follows those, I wonder how bad he wants the child himself or to be turned back over. And is betraying the humans by protecting the boy the risk of war, or is the boy a danger to humanity because for some reason he's ultra powerful?

It's a little confusing since we've really had no basis from other books, except the fae war storyline.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 09:05:37 am »
Consider how divided human politics are, then square that for the fae.  This will have very messy factional infighting, with magic.
Remember that Ari's father tortured her for an unspecified but probably lengthy period, for his own purposes.  So don't think of it as a monolith coming after Our Heroes.  Consider it as vaguely allied and bickering neighbors in a neighborhood association, trying each to get around the rules to have what that individual wants, without it being obvious enough that the rest of the group will turn their attention on that individual.

As to how the child could have been held prisoner for a long time, remember Mercy's time in the Fairey Queen's mound? Not a full day for her, a month outside?  Like that.

What they'd want with the child... did you read "Dead Heat"?  Or they could have made a pet of the child, to cosset.  Intelligent, but soft and weak, without magic... Monkeys, anyone?