Author Topic: Book sales numbers -- would aggregate count?  (Read 4149 times)

trishhenry

• Tool Wrangler
Book sales numbers -- would aggregate count?
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »
Hey!

I was just looking at the "When Demons Walk" author comments and it said something like Masques' numbers weren't great so even though editors liked When Demons Walked, it just wasn't going to happen at that time. So now I'm curious, let's say that book (or any book) slowly ticked up and held steady so the aggregate numbers were decent. Would it be too little too late or might it count? Maybe it just depends on the publishing house.

Sorry to be a busybody, but now I'm curious.  9)  :P

Thanks!
Trish :-D

p.s. Having these emoticons as a menu is hilarious.

mellinatre

• Tinker
Re: Book sales numbers -- would aggregate count?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:45:26 am »
For how things work here in Italy that would be too late, to make any kind of difference the aggregate count should be huge to make a publisher give the OK for a spin-off if the first book haven't sold well enough

and I am talking about spin-offs and not sequels that complete a story because if the books have been conceived right from the start as a duology, trilogy etc. the number of books that will follow the first one usually would have been already taken in account during the stipulations for the contract for the first book...so the all story would be released but due to sales number there would be more/less physical books, markets, royalties and so on

not sure how things goes in USA, it can be that publishers there are willing to keep tracks for a long time so that an increase of sells would be taken in account also if years has gone by