Author Topic: Mercy's special gifts  (Read 8944 times)

Kristenann

• Mechanic
Mercy's special gifts
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:47 am »
I read somewhere that Mercy has gifts and powers that she isn't aware of yet (of course she'll never be all powerful), but does anyone have any theories about what they are or what these gifts could be?

So far she can see ghosts, interact with ghosts up to a point and even force them to do small things, she can turn into a coyote, she's resistant to some of the less powerful magic and spells, she can interact with her mate bond to the point where she can do things like draw silver from it and the pack through the dream state (if that's what it was) into reality, she's lucky ( I count that as a power), she's fast, and apparently she can telepathically receive messages from her half brother when he's in coyote form. Can anyone think of anything I left out?

Nille

• Grease Monkey
Re: Mercy's special gifts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:06:58 am »
Can't you say Mercy have the power to interract with every species there exist. She is friends with fea, a vampire, walkers, wolves and is part of a pack and married to a wolf.
Also I think it is only the Alpha who can let other into the pack but Mercy made another pack without being Alpha and having other packmembers with her.
I think Mercy have the power to break the rules. To do thinks, like change fingerprints and escape fx from a prison.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:54:15 am by Nille »
[/url]

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:00:58 am »
I think it was in river marked (towards the end) that it was revealed that sometimes she could true dream also. I think it was about her having dreams that had already happened or was going to happen.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:12:55 pm »
The "River Marked" dreams were forced on her by the River Devil.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:34 am »
I think it is only the Alpha who can let other into the pack but Mercy made another pack without being Alpha and having other packmembers with her.

True, this might have been part of the 'coyote magic breaks rules' thing, but she used Adam's power and authority as alpha to do it, so it might just be something that any Alpha's mate is able to do. (At least, assuming they know how to manipulate the pack magic enough to do so.)
Maybe it's just convention that the Alpha, rather than the Alpha's mate, is the one who's expected to do it. Most of the time, adding new pack members wouldn't be done in such an extreme situation, so even if it is possible for alphas' mates to bring new people into the pack, there'd be no reason for them to do so, rather than just let the alpha do it.

mellinatre

• Tinker
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:51:58 am »
for me she is gaining power book after book...it's a little by little thing but it seems to be there

like when her eyes have changed colors like only werewolf eyes do

and it seems to be an exchange with Adam (maybe with the all pack in the future???) like how Adam was able to change faster than ever after Mercy have used their bond to take inside herself the silver...or how Mercy is sure to be able to keep Adam away from vampiric thralls thanks to their bond?

am I the only one that have read this as a manifestation of her capabilities to gain some of werewolves particular gifts and give some of her walker gifts to at least Adam?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:05 am »
I'm dubious that the instances you quote are permanent. 
The eye color... she was intensely contacting Adam through their bond at that point. My guess would be that if they're not doing something that intimate, the eye color changes will only happen for Mercy when she changes from woman to coyote or back.
Likewise, Adam's shape change after that would be drawing on the strength that Mercy gifted him with, and his rage at the death of Peter, with the plans to kill all of them.  You'll recall that in "Night Broken", Gary commented on the time it took the strike team - including Adam - to change shape.

As for the vampire resistance, that goes way back.  I think it's in Moon Called that either Samuel or Adam explained TO Mercy that unless a vampire could control EVERY wolf in the pack, they couldn't take an Alpha. 

Every mate bond is different, though, and Mercy's magic - like Charles' - comes from North American roots, not European as werewolf magic does, so they could mix in unanticipated ways.  Charles has had training of one sort or another for at least the NA magic, and some idea what Euro magic can/will do (witness his teaching Isaac about the black witch in Boston during "Fair Game") while Mercy was taught very little - consider how little she knew about either pack or mate bonds - on Euro/werewolf magic, and nothing about Walker/Avatar magic, with only a little from Charles about general NA mysticism. 

She may be making things up from observation and hints given her by Coyote, which she interprets in her own way; witness her not using the walking stick to kill Joel, but observing the bonds and transferring them instead, preserving his life and... soul? Mind? Essence? as a human.

mellinatre

• Tinker
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »
mostly I am hoping that this are small signs of how little by little Mercy magic are expanding in unexpected ways

things that happens as exceptional cases at first but that in the future can be the ground for incredible permanent changes...it can happen 10 books from now but I can see how the author having in mind to wrote Mercy books for a long time to come would put her heroine in the condition to gain special gifts and new powers book after books...things that can seems inconsequential right now but that in the future will help her to face a bigger and stronger villain

also they always talk about how Mercy as the coyotes is so adaptable but I always thought that it can also be that her magic is as adaptable as her personality...so maybe her bond with Adam, the pack and Sam will make her develop tricks to use against her enemies

nope about the vampire I was talking about the book hmmmm...Frost Burned...yep.. where Marsilia is all sure about how she could have beguiled Adam to have his consent to use Mercy for her death match against Frost..and Mercy is sure that she would have been able to keep Adam from any mind trick and thrall thanks to their mate bond

it will be cool if let's say in the book number 20 or 30 her bond with the pack will make her able to help all her wolves to not be captured by vampiric tricks..like a power that if used and practiced will become stronger and able to help more than one single person at a time

and Mercy surely will need a way to absorb the capability to heal faster, like werewolves, because Coyote help was a one time kind of help in that department..and she will be in this situation again and again for sure, so heal like the wolves is a thing that I hope her bond with the pack and Adam will give her

I also hope that Coyote (and his sisters) will stay long enough (or come out from wherever they are) with Mercy to teach her something about not only been a walker but also about how her direct descent make her a supernatural creature...for me she is only till now a lot less educated than Charles in her native american magical roots but she not only descent from a Primal like Coyote but she also have a direct connection with 4 different kind of native americans tribes (spirits???) (and any of them have their own magic btw), that should give her a lot more gifts in the magical realm than what she have show us till now

in the long run I think that we haven't seen yet anything about what Mercy can really do with her magic

Nille

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:41 am »
I don't think Mercy gains power in every book but she gains friends, bonds, knowledge, magical things (The Walking Stick) and experience.

About her magical powers I think she is learning about her powers in every book.
Do you remenber in Moon Called there she believes the only things she can is becoming a coyote, have better senses then a human and see, talk and sense ghosts.

Now she knows she is half human, can become a coyote, have better senses then a human, see, talk, sense and command ghosts, she knows she is residens to most magic and she can break the rules(take silver from Adams body into her own).

So I believe Mercy learn about her talents in the books and not getting powers.

I also totally like the idea of Mercy giving the pack some of her powers as protecting and gaining powers like fast healing. She really need the fast healing and the pack could need to learn Mercy is not weak but can protect them.

They also need to learn that Mercy doesn't bring trouble but is the one saving them all, but I don't have my hopes up for that one.
[/url]

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:18 pm »
I think you're probably right in that it's mostly not so much that Mercy is gaining power, but more that she's gaining knowledge and experience, which allows her to become a better fighter and enables her to do more with her existing powers as she learns more about them.

I think that the two main exceptions to this would be:
1) the walking stick, which is an artifact that effectively does make Mercy more powerful by owning and being able to use it, and which really did change and become more powerful after it was quenched in the blood of the River Devil, and
2) Her connection to the pack and Adam, which is something she obviously didn't have at the start of the series and which now gives her more power than she used to have, as the alpha's mate.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 04:10:45 pm »
I'd add 3)Meeting Coyote and learning how as half-primal she's got a little more than most Walkers, with Coyote doing some... telepathic?... coaching from time to time, and otherwise intruding in her life.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:56 am »
I like the idea of Mercy being able to exchange or share powers with those she has a bond or connection to, a little like Rogue from the X-Men who can absorb another's powers briefly, only Mercy could share something back too. I wonder if we'll see Mercy search deep inside herself and try to practice some of these gifts or find out what else she can do, before the crisis situation hits and she has no choice. What if she could turn into a wolf briefly? lol Trick everyone.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:44:23 am »
Fluff Societyā€¸ @FluffSociety
4 hours ago
Owner Story: "This is Blade. The vet said Blade is a German Shepard and Coyote mix"

So... when Mercy was pretending to be domestic and Adam came to pick her up, this is what would maybe have been expected?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:57:06 pm »
 :-LOVE So cute!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:10 am »