Author Topic: Unappreciated Gifts short story in A Fantastic Holiday Season  (Read 21351 times)

txterrier

• Tool Wrangler
Unappreciated Gifts short story in A Fantastic Holiday Season
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »
Okay so I just discovered the existance of the Unappreciated Gifts short story in A Fantastic Holiday Season while poking adound on the website (somehow managed to completely miss any announcements about it lol) but am having a very hard time finding a copy.  Was it a limited run or something?  B&N and Amazon have it online, but none of the brick and mortar stores or local libraries seem to have it. Did anyone else have issues getting it  or do I just have crappy luck finding it?

big city wolf

• Grease Monkey
Re: Unappreciated Gifts short story in A Fantastic Holiday Season
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:28:22 pm »
I bought the Nook version of it.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
I got the nook version, too.  I <3 Asil. 
But I want to know who was behind the dates.  The description on B&N said it was a few wolves from Adam's pack  (And I could see Mercy getting involved) but then they'd have had Ben handle the tech side, not Charles.  Unless maybe the Marrok pack has their own email system and they worked with Charles so he wouldn't get all touchy when he found out he'd been hacked?  ...and Asil says it has to be someone from his pack, because no one else could imitate him so well, but I got the impression that very few wolves from the Marrok pack actually knew him that well.  Plus from what we know of the culture of the Marrok pack, I think very few would risk irking Asil, nor ask Charles for help in a prank.  Sage might... but then, I don't know if Sage would set Asil up on blind dates, you know?

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:15:15 am »
I remember reading somewhere that it was members of Adam's pack that were responsible, and came up with the idea. Although I didn't think any of them seemed to know Asil real well, and as far as I know most of them (Adam and Mercy included) never met him before, other than that one time when Charles sent Asil to watch Mercy. I don't know how many people know Asil well enough in any of the packs to imitate him that well, of course the people they were talking to were strangers so it didn't have to be a perfect job. I could see Sam maybe doing something like this, but again I haven't really seem him and Asil interact.

I got the book at the library. And I loved the little story about Asil. I do wish I knew who did it, and what his reaction will be when he finds out. Consequences and all that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:07:39 pm by Kristenann »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:23:06 am »
Maybe Kara is an instigator? 
Maybe it's a combo of Marrok and Columbia Basin wolves (and Mercy).  Those two packs seem pretty closely-linked. 

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »
It could be a combo of both packs. I could see Kara coming up with the idea, and Sage trying to find some more people to help pull it off (though I don't think she knows Mercy either), it also seems like a prank Mercy would try and pull off, but since as far as I know she only met Asil that once I don't know that the thought would occur, and since he hasn't done anything to instigate her or warrant her getting back at him, I don't see her going through with it, plus how does he know he doesn't have a girl friend or mate? I suppose Adams pack could of went to Samuel, whom I suppose has a long history of knowing Asil, like his father does, even if we haven't heard about it because they're all so old, and Samuel could very well imitate him. I wonder if Sam is still considered Mercy's pack and not Adams or his fathers? Mercy is in Adam's but Sam is in Mercy and not Adams? Confusing. Anyway Charles only helped because Anna wanted him to, so someone who knows Anna contacted her to help pull it off. Of course since they got their test subjects (dates) from a vamp site, that kind of sounds like Mercy too. A lot of the pack members we've met don't seem to have a funny sense of humor, or very few of them do. The vamp site, because remember Marisila's reaction to Asil? And his about vamps being an acquired taste? Of course we could just be thinking too much about this and there are no answers to our questions because it isn't really important to the story.

Maybe Sage should of signed herself up to be Asil's date? lol We know they both like each other. I'd also love to see Bran's reaction when he found out about what was going on, and the fact that Asil's first date turned out to be a man lmao

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
I kind of wondered if Sage might have been blind date #5. 
I could actually see Bran finding this hilarious if not actually being among the instigators.

...there you go.  Bran thought this would be a fun game (and we know that Bran worries about Asil), and Adam seems to be his go-to for bouncing ideas off of.  Voila! Columbia Basin pack involvement.  Then Bran selected a few brave souls from his own pack (basically the short list of people who like Asil more than they find him terrifying) to help. 

I think Sam and Mercy are still Pack.  Remember that Sam doesn't worry about following the rules when it comes to Pack magic.  but I also think that probably, neither Sam or Mercy are going to make use of that bond, out of respect for Adam and the Columbia Basin Pack, unless it is life or death.  But that's just my thought. 

Caro_

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
Are you sure wolves from Adam's pack are involved? I checked and it's not written anywhere in the story so unless it's an info coming from Patty herself, there's no way to know that. And as the both of you wrote, it makes more sense that the prank was set up by a member of the Marrock's pack. Actually, after reading the last message (especially the "we're proud of you" part) and Asil's reaction to it, and given what happened during the date, I assumed that this had all been organized by Bran himself (with Charles and Anna's help of course). I can imagine him using the royal we and kill two (three?) birds with one stone: play a prank on Asil, get him to invite Sage on a date once he realizes how much fun he's having, and get rid of the vampire.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:22 pm »
A Fantastic Holiday Season: This is a Christmas anthology. I wrote a little story called Unappreciated Gifts. Some members of Adam's pack think Asil should get out more, so they've challenged him to accept a series of blind dates . . .

Patty did say so herself. It's listed on her web page under books, at the bottom in the short fiction section. Her description of the short and what it's about. I thought it was odd too, because I didn't know any of Adam's pack had known Asil, and as far as I knew Mercy and Adam only met him that once. Wonder if he was at their wedding? The prank doesn't seem like something Adam would think to do, or care to do, it seems like something Mercy would come up with, but I don't know why she would considering her usual pranks are just a way for her to get back at people for something.

Caro_

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
You're right. It might simply be a lapsus though. Otherwise, the only person in Adam's pack who could possibly have taken part in this is Mercy, indeed. I don't see Adam doing this neither. Apart from his personality, there's the fact that he's Alpha of the pack, and probably quite close to Asil in dominance, so since they don't know each other that well, it could probably potentially could problems. But maybe I'm overthinking this. :D

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:32:25 pm »
Looked it up.  Asil shows up in FB and meets Kyle and Ben at least.  Kyle I could see being involved, even with him not knowing that Kelly was really a guy. 

Honestly, if not for the fact that the first email explicitly stated that technical help was provided by Charles... it feels like Ben to me.  There's a certain lack of consideration for the women involved, coupled with the fact that most of the older wolves probably wouldn't even think of online dating.  Plus the obscurity of the dating sites they chose reminds me of the time Ben was talking about the competition for worst website. 

Also, Adam's pack doesn't live in the same town Asil does; he's less of a direct threat to them than he is to members of his own pack. 

I'm not sure Mercy's involvement would have to be retaliation.  It's set up like a game/gambling.  A game that has a prank side to it, but I'm not feeling the same... I hate to say maliciousness, but that's the word that's coming to mind... as when Mercy is getting back at someone. 

But I do think Bran is involved somehow.  And I agree, it's not Adam's style.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »
I think we all might be over thinking this. Though there were/ are a lot of very good questions, I don't think the short story was supposed to be a lot or too detailed of a background because it was just suppose to be a fun short story about a character we all know and love, and the questions we've been asking might not have any answers because it isn't important? Still I'm always curious about stuff like this, and needing background info on it, because for me that's part of the story and what makes it so interesting even if it has no later meaning. Kind of like the photo of Mercy Adam had in his bedroom and there was a lot of questions about where he got that photo, if he took it, or someone gave it to him and why he had it. And these were things that apparently weren't important or vital to the story and the picture just sort of existed at first with no background history about how it came to be. Still Patty gave us an answer to this, but I don't think it was pre-planned.

I think in the short though Asil mentioned how he had ideas about some of the people who could be involved. I want to know how he gets back at them when he finds out, but I guess that along with a list and outcomes of his other 4 dates are things we might not be getting, because they weren't vital to the story, and it would probably be a lot longer (maybe). Along with Bran's reaction to this, maybe he'd wonder what Asil did to make Mercy do something like this, because like told Asil before back when Mercy was a kid and pranked Bran with a seat full of peanut butter, "who else could it be, could you see any of my wolves doing something like this?" of course nearly all wolves are Bran's wolves. And then there was the whole first email about how Asil shouldn't spend Christmas alone, and Asil's like you know I'm muslim and I don't care about Christmas, he also mentions how the music is horrible. So someone made that mistake, they know him well enough to imitate him but not that he's muslim? And they know enough about computers and sites to set up and look for dating applicants, but not about doing enough homework so where they made a boo boo on the gender? Or maybe they didn't care if the people on the sites, what they looked like, gender, pretty much anything they made up to get on there, and the first site was just for a pretend vamp date, they set his other dates up from different sites. So it doesn't seem like they care about Asil being alone so much on a holiday he doesn't celebrate, because his dates would all be fake and jokes, also it is a little dangerous to set humans up with a werewolf who has trouble controlling his wolf. They said because they care about him, but I don't know. It isn't something I see any of the wolves doing, as far as ideas go it was a decent one, but not played out very well, there were too many boo boos an risks that I'm pretty sure Charles, and Adam wouldn't make. Even Ben he is very good a computers and designs sites right? I'm sure he wouldn't think about doing a background search on these people, or maybe know about Asil's slipping control. So maybe Mercy, Ben, and Kara? Because I can see this being something a child does, and Mercy does, and Ben even just for kicks? Sage I could see being interested in the idea, or the end goal and being Asil's late date, and prize for winning the bet.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
Kyria sorry I sent my message before I read yours. But yea I agree with you about Ben, and the worst websites, you're right he'd know all about those wouldn't he? I mean we meet Meg in this story (at least I think that's her name?) whose great great great uncle is Tag, and she was concerned enough about her friend going on a date with a stranger and how dangerous it was and how this joke was in poor taste, and when she finds out that the joke was also played on Asil she's terrified because doing this to anyone is dangerous, a werewolf? Doubly so, doing this to Asil(the Moor) who she has heard of, is way beyond that. Her Uncle Tag warned her about Asil, and he heard about the date, so I'm thinking yea Bran definitely knows, nothing gets much by him anyway, but I don't know if he'd be directly involved. I would say he isn't the prank type, but I remember Mercy saying how he used to play with her when they both had shifted to their animal forms, and Bran would play rabbit and let Mercy chase him and chase her back (such a cute super sweet funny mental image to have), and even Adam's wolf didn't like playing rabbit to Mercy. So I don't know, part of me doesn't think he'd like the risks, but then again he seems to trust Asil and his control more than Asil does himself. And Mercy has a connection to Tag because she grew up with him in Bran's pack, I think he was the one who tied a shoelace around her neck and pulled her out from under the bed she was hiding under when she thought she was in trouble for something, and then she stole all his shoelaces from his shoes, and gave one back to him as a Christmas present?

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:59:57 pm »
Who cares if we're over-thinking?  It's fun.

I don't think they were unaware that he's muslim.  I think the culprit was taunting him. 

Kelly's profile was set up to make him look like he was a woman.  He said that he wasn't even involved, hadn't even seen the website.
And who would think to do a background check on someone they're setting up with a werewolf?  If he ends up on a date with a total creeper - well, I guess maybe you have to worry about Asil killing them.  But Asil's control isn't as tenuous as he claims.

I also thought... whoever set it up might have been fully aware that Kelly wasn't a woman.  They just didn't care because their goal was to put Asil out of his comfort zone.  They're playing a game.  And if Adam's pack is involved, they'd know that Asil isn't one of the wolves who would react badly to a gay man. 
Think about it: Kelly was non-threatening.  Someone who might just trip a dominant wolf's protective instincts, NOT someone who would start a fight. They may have done ALL of their homework.  Perfection disguised as ineptitude. 
Some people *ahem*Bran*ahem* play a ridiculously thorough long game.  (Also as you said, Bran seems to have much greater faith in Asil's control than Asil does himself.)

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 06:13:09 pm »
Right Right, okay that makes a lot more sense then my blabble. And there's something to be said for the picture of Asil they used, Asil said they he thinks they must of take it a little while back, maybe a few months or so because it was outside and he was shirtless holding a black rose to his chest. Those roses he ended up having to bring in doors, and he didn't sense anyone taking a picture so it must of been some distance away, an a very expensive camera. Oh course he thought the picture was a smart choice because it shows how beautiful he is, it's kind of funny he sounds vain when he talks about himself (even though he's right), but it was mentioned I think that he knew his mate wasn't very attractive or pretty in the physical sense, so I guess he's not vain in that way and what's on the inside is more important to him. Then again he thinks Sage is gorgeous and he likes her personality too.

So someone was able to capture him perfectly through a camera lens, and can afford an expensive piece to use. And was around at the time it was taken (whether the lived there or was visiting), and since it was months ago this thing had to of been planned out, otherwise why sneak to take the picture. Unless it was Sage (wasn't it mentioned she did modeling?), and she either took the pic for this purpose, or it's hanging up in her bedroom? An Asil Alter maybe?

I can't see Kid Kara thinking to take a sexy pic like that, even borrowing a camera for it. And I can't see Charles sneaking a picture of a sexy shirtless Asil? LOL Can you imagine Anna asking him to do that.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »
Now I just want to see a scene of Bran or Sage catching Charles out creeping around trying to get a picture of shirtless sexy Asil. 

Kara's old enough to be interested in guys and to think up taking a sexy picture, I think.  But she probably wouldn't have been able to set up or take one that was high quality, mature, and sexy.  Especially without Asil's knowledge. 

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »
Isn't Kara 13 now? She's old enough for a crush, but she's spent quite some time locked in a cage in her parent's basement at the start of her early teen years so I don't know if that would affect her development. Of course since werewolves can smell emotions Asil would probably tell him she did. Later on or something, it' kind of creepy if Asil can sense Kara's early crush hormones about him, since she's not even a fetus compared to him, and he this 22 is baby years. Though since he's so gorgeous you can really blame the girl, and even though I love him, for some reason I find Bran super sexy. In a few years though Kara will look as old as Bran, weird. If they ever showed up anywhere together people who think they were on a date lol Could you image Bran's face or response if he ever took Kara to the store of something and someone asked him about his girl friend?

Oh gosh I'd love Bran's perspective on ANYTHING but especially the pranks going on around him, and his POV about Mercy and what she did with Leah's shoes. If he was actually furious Mercy did that to his mate, or if he secretly thought it was hilarious and was furious he couldn't figure out how she did it without leaving her scent behind. I think it was mentioned Mercy had never been in Bran's room so there was no reason her scent should be there even though it was in the rest of the house, but then we find out later Leah has her own rooms, and I'm assuming that's where her shoe collection would be, although Mercy definitely had no reason to be in there. And then there was the prank she pulled on Bran with the egg under his pillow case, which means she had been in his private room and left a scent behind, because Mercy mentions how the eggs are too cushioned to break on impact and can be used against her. At least I think it was a prank she pulled on Bran, I'd love to see his POV of it and scoring Mercy with her own eggs. I'd like to see his POV from when he first realized he sat in peanut butter lol Bran the peanut butter butt prank. Or him playing with Mercy and spending time with her as a child. Or his POV of when Mercy's mother first brought her to his pack and asked him to take her in. Little baby coyote. Maybe Bran thought "Oh why me", or maybe he thought "aww she's sOo cute, look at those little fangs and soft ears". What do you think?

Ooh and I'd like to know what Charles said to Coyote the day he saw him watching Mercy play/run with the wolves. Whatever it was that sent him packing, instead of Coyote trying to take Mercy away from them? Not that he would but Charles might not have known that. I wonder if he told Bran about the incident and his take on the matter, because they never mentioned to Mercy someone who was clearly Indian was looking for her.

I'd love if someone asked Patty, but I don't want to bother her. Plus sometimes I think some of my many many many questions (questions on everything), might be stupid or annoying.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 05:11:41 pm »
Okay, I am going to plant a seed here...

Sage is the instigator with Anna's and Charle's assistance. You all seem to think that someone had to be present to take the photo of Asil. Sage very easily could have left an iPhone out of plain sight after rubbing it down with a very musky shirt to make it not smell of her so easily, then simply had it run Facetime. Pull the photo from the recording. I have seen some AMAZING screen caps taken from iPhone video.
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.