Author Topic: Dragon Blood Discussion  (Read 27633 times)

gallandro_83

• Tool Wrangler
Dragon Blood Discussion
« on: January 18, 2008, 03:21:16 am »
First time through this discussion board.

I will say that I for one can't wait for another Hurog novel. I like the Mercy series but there is so much that is left out since it is in the real world with such a large theater for the characters to play in I'm always left with the feeling that we only see such a little piece of everything that is going on around the area.

In particular I will say that I loved the way Ward and the prisoner from dragon blood interacted (as well as ward's comments to Tisla after his own debacle) I thought it was great that we were able to see not only a hero that was a hero but someone who didn't win and then was tortured brutaly I mean that is defenitly something you don't see every day.

I do want to see a little more however about the shivian gods I mean Ward called on the war god in the first novel and tried again in the second and we met the Avanish god a couple of times I want to see what the frozen dragon countries diety might make of our new ruler.

gallandro

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Dragon Bones Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:15:52 am »
Wow, I'd forgotten most of what you just mentioned, Gallandro!  I'm going to have to get the rest of my library out from under the house & onto shelves, so I can find the Hurog books & re-read them.  I'll put them in the special case with Masques.  Just as soon as I find them,. . . . le sigh.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Dragon Blood Discussion
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:13 pm »
gallandro, the calling of the War God was a really subtle moment wasn't it? I enjoyed that part, very powerful.

Ward is a great character isn't he. I liked his interaction with Kellen as well, pushing him just enough but not enough that he broke.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:14:49 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Re: Dragon Blood Discussion
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:13:28 pm »
I like that Ward is a good guy, but he does what he has to, which means he isn't always nice.  Plus he's so funny when he plays dumb.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
What I found even funnier was everyone's response to him when he wasn't so dumb, especially the Avenhellish lords. ;) 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

PaulaL

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »
But, Ward was dumb for quite a while quite literally, from the physical abuse his father inflicted on him, and it permanently impeded his ability to converse with others.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:19:40 pm »
Quite true, PaulaL.  As much so as his sister.  It still bothers him in subtle ways.

AdrienneEtienneHouseman

• Grease Monkey
    • Deviant Art Site where I post some of my writings
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:54:12 pm »
I loved the character development in this book.  Especially how Ward and Oreg interact now that Oreg is free.  As I mentioned elsewhere, Oreg is my favorite character.  And I love that he remains really devoted to Ward even though he doesn't need to anymore. :D

AEH
"The ultimate aim of the martial arts lies not in victory or defeat. Instead it lies in the perfection of those who participate." -- Gichin Funakoshi

I'm looking for literary or sf/fantasy magazines to submit to, if you have any good suggestions, drop me a line!

Kitarsha

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 02:43:51 am »
Darn...my library doesn't stock this series...will have to keep an eye out at the book stores!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 12:16:09 pm »
Sometimes libraries will ship books to each other that they don't carry, maybe you can ask your library about it?  Not that I'm trying to talk you out of buying them!  Personally, these are my favorites. ^_^
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Granite Owl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 06:53:08 am »
Both of my local Hasting's stores still carries the Hurog series, and i'm sure you can get them online from B&N or Amazon.
I just purchased Hob's Bargain and Dragon Blood this weekend and read them both yesterday!  GREAT BOOKS!

Owl

caldep

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:39:16 pm »
I would just like to say I loved the two books and hope there will be another.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »
I just read Dragon Blood after happening to see it at the library.  (I might've also saw it at the bookstore.)  Since I have Cry Wolf, I recognized that all those backstory references sounded like there was a prequel, and wouldn't you know, I'd skipped the prequel?

I WANT to read that prequel, too.  Okay, so I like Tisala, I like Ward, but my fav is Oreg.  *wants to give Oreg a hug*

Poor guy.  Patty needs to write him a novel with a girl to replace the dragon his dad murdered... (I'm assuming the dragon killed wasn't Oreg's grandmother, though I realize that's likewise possible.)

I'm a mite confused by Ward's dad + Aunt Stalla and hope she's a maternal aunt and not paternal.

Anyway, I'm off to find Dragon Bones!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »
It wasn't Oreg's dad who killed the dragon. It was some old Hurogmeten who Ward idolized.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:02:12 pm »
Ward's Mother was the legitimate sister of his Aunt.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:21 pm »
Selig was the great hero with giant feet of clay.  And Stalla was the bastard daughter of Ward's maternal grandfather, not the paternal one. 

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 05:50:01 am »
Um... my impression was that Seleg was both Oreg's father and the one who killed the dragon.

In fact, I'm currently reading Dragon Bones, and the Tamerlain's god calls Oreg "child of the dragon killer".

I'm not sure what you mean by the "giant feet of clay" Patti.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:57:51 am »
No, check the name for Ward's father.  It's like the "Marrok'son" or "Smithson".
Ward thought Selig was a great hero, tried to be like him, until he found out that instead of protecting dragons, he'd chained the one whose bones are under the keep.  That act was what I'm referring to with the 'giant feet of clay'; great looking idol, in the head, torso, thighs, made of gold, it seems, -- right until you get to those troll sized clay feet.

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:43 am »
Whenever Ward's father comes up in discussions, my blood boils.  In my opinion he is horrifyingly violent and crazy.  Historically, royal families have engaged in such evil in pursuit of the power and wealth the royal position gave them, for centuries.  There certainly is written record of many *royal* atrocities, for example, whatever happened to those two young boys locked in the English tower, never to be seen or heard from again?  History...and Ward's father...are appalling.

**grumble**

Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pheodora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 06:35:12 am »
I keep thinking about Ward's admiration for Selig, with his subsequent disappointment. I suspect such a course is inevitable when we greatly admire someone.  Humans are...dreadfully human (and wonderfully too, of course.)  But everyone has feet of clay, no one is heroic 100% of the time.  I think we are all capable of some heroic deeds, some of the time. I read a small book once upon a time about the everyday heroes in us all; it takes considerable courage to just live an everyday life sometimes. Anyway, I think losing hero-worship is part of Ward's growing up, and he will be the better for a more balanced view. Admire the good deeds, and not the hero....

Pheo
"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson