Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 97453 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:39 pm »
This is somewhat off the topic here, but I wonder if being mated means you love your spouse more. I mean would the wolves take being separated from their spouse worse then if it was just their wife/husband, and if it has more to do with being a wolf or a mate bond. For instance Bran lost Samuel's mother when he was still human, and she wasn't his mate, yet he grieved and healed, but when he lost Blue-jay Charles's mom he was both a wolf and mated to her, and he kind of lost it.

I would like to point out that wolves are a bit more likely to be unbalanced than a mundane human.
As for if they love their mates more than humans love their wives I would say it probably is more of a case-by-case comparisin. Remember, Bran admits in Cry Wolf that he doesn't love Leah.

I completely agree with you about Mercy though. However, to play devil's advocate Mercy's mother may not have tried to get Mercy back because she didn't want to disrupt Mercy's life. I'm sure it would be hard for a child to be taken away from the people who raised them by someone they've only seen for two weeks out of a year.

jacalynsue

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2014, 10:16:42 am »
I noticed again that Mercy thanked Ariana for fireproofing several of the pack. Zee taught her better than that! Is she less careful with Zee and Ariana because she trusts them? Or is she opening herself up to a bunch of new problems? I'd hate to think the latter, but I don't know if Ariana's beast much cares about pack bonds.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »
Not to mention that the fae don't do permanence the way that humans (or werewolves) do it.  Consider Ariana's father's love for her... Yeah, either Mercy's getting sloppy, or Patty is... or she's setting us up for something further along the timeline? :-whistle
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jacalynsue

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2014, 06:04:25 pm »
My gut says Mercy is getting sloppy. I've caught her thanking Zee on occasion. But thanking Ariana was new. And it may be a product of all the stress she was under. OTOH, it does leave open the possibility for some nasty things happening in the future.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »
Might be she's more relaxed about it now because she has the pack to back her up.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »
It's hard to imagine after all Mercy's been through with different supernatural creatures she'd be that careless/sloppy. Maybe she just thinks Ariana would never take her up on the offer because of her connection with Samuel?

Also this has probably been brought up before, but Mercy was able to become apart of Adam's pack bonded mated and all, yet she was such an outsider in Bran's? I mean no one knew that a non werewolf could actually become pack, so I guess Bran never thought to try and bring Mercy in? Or else he was afraid it'd cause more problems and didn't want her to actually see what other pack members thought of her, I wonder if Bran could communicate with Mercy telepathically in her coyote form when he's in his wolf?

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:02 pm »
It's hard to imagine after all Mercy's been through with different supernatural creatures she'd be that careless/sloppy. Maybe she just thinks Ariana would never take her up on the offer because of her connection with Samuel?

Also this has probably been brought up before, but Mercy was able to become apart of Adam's pack bonded mated and all, yet she was such an outsider in Bran's? I mean no one knew that a non werewolf could actually become pack, so I guess Bran never thought to try and bring Mercy in? Or else he was afraid it'd cause more problems and didn't want her to actually see what other pack members thought of her, I wonder if Bran could communicate with Mercy telepathically in her coyote form when he's in his wolf?

I'd assume that the reason Bran didn't bring Mercy into his pack is the first one you mentioned; the fact that no one knew it was possible for a non-werewolf to become part of the pack, as Bran says in Bone Crossed.

With the telepathy thing, I think its that Bran can only talk to individuals who are part of his pack, or one of the other US packs, (which are his too, connected via the alphas etc)). Because in Moon Called, when Mercy went for help, Charles had to change to human and talk to Mercy, because Bran couldn't talk telepathically to her then (when she wasn't part of a pack). But then in Silver Borne, when the faerie queen has Mercy, Bran is eventually able to contact her telepathically (with the help of the walking stick), and he says that he can speak to her because she's part of Adam's pack, which is also Bran's. I think he only needed the help of the walking stick because she was stuck in the faerie queen's place/hold etc, so I'd guess that now/after Mercy was brought into Adam's pack, Bran could speak to her telepathically the same way he can to the wolves.

With the thanking the fae thing, I suspect Mercy isn't that worried about thanking Ariana, Tad or Zee, because they're all friends and so wouldn't take advantage of it etc. But I guess it could be like a slippery slope type thing? where she starts off thanking only them, which isn't too bad, but might then thank someone like Uncle Mike (if they go to the reservation, anyway, since I suspect he's there now), which might not be as good... then she might thank someone else... and eventually end up thanking the wrong fae and getting into trouble?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:07:31 pm by Itsy-Cat »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »
The telepathy thing sounds right.
The thanking... Mercy still shouldn't do it, friends/family or no.  I think I said earlier, "Consider the sea change Ariana's father's affections took. Fae will destroy their own families" so this is a Bad Idea regardless.  Courtesy is so ingrained, though...

As far as Bran not bringing Mercy into the Aspen Creek pack, I can see several reasons that would play into that.
1. not werewolf!
2. only going to be there maybe 20 years (and it was fewer) to grow up.
3. walker!
4. Leah
5. What would Mercy's natural dominance position be?
6. consider Mercy's reaction to being officially at the bottom of the hierarchy AND "belonging" to Bran! :o

No, no, no, nobody wanted to open that can of worms.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:30 am »
I also wonder how Adam and Christy met, I know I've brought it up before, but she was 18 fresh out of high school and he was already an old wolf. I've been thinking about Adam's behavior with her in Night Broken (again) and I understand him being old fashioned and habits dying hard because Christy was his wife for a long time, so of course he fell into his role as husband with her as if no time had past easily. But Christy his first wife is so different then Mercy is I wonder what he saw in her. To my she seems spoiled, shellfish, childish, I don't know if she was different back then or if her true colors didn't have much chance to shine, but maybe Adam the human part of him chose Christy and maybe still loves her because similar to Samuel he was ready to settle down and start a family? And Christy stayed even after finding out who he was because he was very attractive, powerful, rich, successful, did whatever she wanted, and she loved the prestige of being with him. I think Christy left knowing she could go out and do whatever she wanted thinking he would always be there waiting for her, to take her back, even after he married Mercy. Especially since he pays for everything, and probably always will, their financially still connected and of course they have a child, and history together. My point is maybe Adam's wolf side is what really chose and wanted to mate with Mercy, I'm sure his human side too, but maybe it was kind of taken for the ride? And the wolf is what really brought out those feelings?

I also wonder if Christy will step up her game and stick around to start more trouble, she doesn't seem the type to completely give up with she wants something, after all if she can do it, and she's entitled why not, plus there isn't much to stop her except Mercy.  I liked Mercy's prank with the blue shampoo, but that seemed like something she would of done as a child, as an adult I thought she could of done a lot better. I hope in the next book she gets a bigger pat on the back for saving everyone's butt and breaking her neck (literally) but I kind of doubt it.

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
I think the blue shampoo wasn't Mercy, this was Jesse.
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2014, 12:33:53 pm »
No, Mercy set that up when they went back to the house to get Medea, and Beauclaire showed up to get the walking stick, remember?

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:23 pm »
Oh, really? I forgot this.
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »
Yeah, she found the giant bottles of Christy's hair care in her bathroom, after she'd already banished the giant make-up case, diplomatically removed by Adam, and since it didn't stick under diplomacy, she used something that would make it stick.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2014, 01:07:52 pm »
I thought Mercy took her makeup bag and placed it outside her bedroom door? Adam knew how about it made her, that Christy had taken over the bathroom as her and Adams again, then it happened again with the shampoo and that's when Mercy put the dye in it. Sometimes though you have to say something and stick up for yourself and let people know how you really feel about something that bothers you enough, rather than ignore or hide it, no matter what other people may think of you. Like when they were having dinner and they were talking about the murders Christy told Mercy it wasn't a dinner appropriate conversation, but hey it's Mercy's house and her table, and her pack, she shouldn't have to monitor the conversation especially since it was relevant and she was doing everything she could to help out, and stop the murders from continuing.

Maybe Christy should of been put up at Stefan's house where her ex wouldn't think to look for her.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
O_o Kristenann, I think that's the perfect place for Christy!  Or she can go to Marsilia!  >D