Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 97455 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:21 pm »
Get annoyed at Adam.  But then eat his dead bunny and let it go.

This ^
 LOL LOL LOL

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2014, 06:00:09 am »
Ha Rivermarked, now that was the Adam we know and love, definitely one of my favorite books in this series. I didn't think there'd be another monster who could of been out done by one that can swallow the world. Even if Christy made Adams offer into dead bunny stew I'm not sure I could swallow and chew on this one. Christy pushed her way into playing wife and resuming the role, while Mercy got the physical contact at nights when they had a door and weren't too exhausted. Already I can't wait till the next book I really want to see where all these new character roles fit into place, and I feel bad for the two new wolves. Lucia didn't get her husband completely back but he isn't dead either, maybe Coyote will come back and give Mercy a cryptic message on how to make him human again, and how his old wolf pack will respond to what happened to him, an the fact that he now belongs to Adam. Will the two wolves stay or go? The walking stick wouldn't stay with Lugh's son but it stayed with Coyote and remained loyal to Mercy. Then there was that weird dream Mercy had with Christy and her mother in it, I don't remember what exactly it was, but I keep thinking of what Marge's response would be if she met Christy. Mercy's mother is yet another great character I can easily see why Coyote said he could of settled down with that one.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2014, 10:09:39 am »
In River Marked, they were away from the pack, and from the greater political picture, for the most part; certainly away from Christie!
Which stresses was Adam under in Rivermarked?
Did he have to act as one of the spokeswolves in gooberment hearings?  No.
Did he have to keep assorted peace in his own pack?  No.
Did he have to deal with his business?  No.
Did he have to deal with his precocious teenage daughter?  No.
Did he have to deal with the negotiations with the Fae about going into an alliance against the US Gooberment, or any other international gooberment?  No.
Did he have to deal with Christie?  No.
Did he have to deal with Marsilla, the seethe, or even Stephan?  No.
Did he have to deal with Mercy's propensity to take responsibility for the world?  You betcha.
Did he have to deal with unexpected new semi-relatives of Mercy's, including her sort-of father and his sisters, and the other Primals?  Yes indeed.
Did he have to deal with something that could have eaten this world?  Well... He wasn't the warrior of choice, was he? 
Which got his wolfy knickers in a knot, but not the way that dealing with all those other things AND incomplete information on this 'stalker' of Christie's got him knotted up in this one. 
Plus, please note, that courtesy of the whole "hey, Mercy, did werewolves do this?" "No, it looks like a Canary Island Volcano God."  "Oh, okay... wait a minute, you mean there are more supernaturals than fae and werewolves?"
Well, there's another stress coming down the pike, isn't there?
Gee, I wonder why Adam might have acted atypically?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:09 am »
All true things, I get why Adam acted differently between the two books, they were two different situations. I just said that out of the series Rivermarked was one of my favorites, and I loved all the time Adam and Mercy got to spend together. I liked their private moments in Night Broken too. Good point about the authorities realizing there might be a lot more out there than just werewolves and fae. Wonder how all that's going to come down, I don't expect it will be good. That reminded me of the reporter Larry Torbett from the  Watchdog Times when he said he had documentation of the Cantrip agency wanting a pack of wolves under their control, and knowing what they planned to do with them. Wonder if we'll ever get some insight into those documents in the next book?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2014, 11:08:27 am »
Various people have been grumbling about Adam's behavior, so this is addressed to all of them, nothing pointed at you specifically, Kristenann. 
Remember too, that Christie has dinged Adam for around 20 years as 'monster', and responsible for anything in her life she didn't like.  He's been trained to sit back and accept that, where from the beginning he & Mercy have fought, more or less amicably. He knows that of the two, Mercy is the stronger.  Christie was always someone to protect, not argue with, and he's being pressured by the pack to go back to this as well as the ingrained habits she's laid down with him.

He expects Mercy, coyote that she is, to find her own ways of fighting back.  The not noticing she was losing weight, that's not so good, but as Lou Tice taught back in the '80s, you get used to seeing something or someone in your life and if they change only gradually, your eyes gloss over the changes until something happens to jar you out of 'seeing' the earlier picture of them or it.  Even when they were presumably having marital relations, his sense of touch would have still been responding largely to familiarity, not noting more prominent bones, for instance.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2014, 07:04:33 pm »
I think Janilee has it right -- they're working very, very hard to protect Jesse, and following the rule of "don't say anything negative about the other parent."  As I was thinking about this discussion, it occurred to me that maybe the same sort of thing applies to pack psychology.  If you've read Alpha & Omega, remember when Charles told Leo that as alpha, all of his wolves are his children, to feed and protect, etc.?  So the wolves may be reacting to Adam & Christy's divorce in some respects as if they were their children.  Unlike Jesse, though, they haven't had the dubious benefit of having lived with Christy for a while afterward and experienced her parenting skills firsthand.  To them, she is like the totally absent parent, who abandoned them because they are monsters, but who is idealized in her absence.  Adam might realize this and be trying to protect them as well -- because as alpha, that's what he's driven to do.  Add to that that he was deeply conditioned to be manipulated by her.  Those patterns tend to kick in strong and hard when you're suddenly back in the presence of the manipulator, no matter how long it has been or how clearly you might see it when you're not in their presence.

One thing I don't get is why they keep saying that none of this is Christy's fault and that she is a good person.  Some parts of it are revealed to be pretty obviously her fault.  No, don't blame the victim, but parts of this (like hiding her belief the stalker was a werewolf) ARE her fault.  And no, don't say negative things about the other parent -- but don't lie to the child, either.  Refraining from saying that Christy is a bad person doesn't require saying that she is a good person, and it seems to me that we have lots of evidence that she is not a good person, and little to no evidence that she is. 

And, on a different topic, I really got a chuckle out of the nod to the Dresden files, when the lawyer's assistant is all geeked out and Mercy thinks she knows where some of that info came from

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:57 am »
And, on a different topic, I really got a chuckle out of the nod to the Dresden files, when the lawyer's assistant is all geeked out and Mercy thinks she knows where some of that info came from
I'd forgotten about that!
I got a kick out of thinking, "I know where she got that info, too."

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2014, 02:44:40 am »
I don't think that allowing Christy to apply uncontrolled manipulation to gain sympathy from his pack and family is acting like an adult.  Mercy is placed in the unfortunate position of not being able to point stuff out without making the opinion of other pack members worse, just because they are looking for the worst from her but I think if Adam had been acting like an adult he would have made an effort to stop Christy in her tracks.  Instead he acted at minimum as a bystander (for example during the meals) and at times a participant (for example the phone and make-up situations) to her manipulation.

I realize that Adam and Mercy have the mate link, but I don't recall Adam using it at any time to reassure Mercy.

As to the pack feeling like the divorce split up their parents, I think that could only be possible if Adam and Christy were mates and they never were mated, just married.

I agree that River Marked was a completely different situation so I'm not sure it is relevent to this discussion except to demonstrate that in some circumstances Adam can be a great husband (what is more romantic than a couple dead bunnies -lol).   I guess this book is showing the opposite, sort of dunderhead, side of Adam.

I realize that he lived with Christy for 20 years so he could be falling into the marital pattern that they had.  However, he knew up front that she would attempt to manipulate him so I would think that he would be paying attention to stop himself from allowing those attempts to (at minimum) impact Mercy and Jesse - how hard is it to keep your cell phone or stop your ex-wife from using the master bath????

As to not wanting to make Christy look bad in front of Jesse, wasn't it in one of the earlier books that Jesse was basically left alone at home for a couple weeks by Christy while she went on vacation and Adam brought her home with him when he found that out.   And didn't Jesse make the decision to stay with Adam because she didn't want to be around her mother?  She already knows that her mom is a weak and manipulative person, not to mention someone who will abandon her in a heart beat if it is to Christy's benefit so I don't think pointing out manipulative behavior would be detrimental.  In fact, I think it would have been positive because that would let Jesse know that others are seeing the behavior for what it is and are not tolerating it.

jacalynsue

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2014, 02:08:49 pm »
One of the things I loved about this book was how imperfect all of the characters are. Adam is a great guy, but is not doing the right things for Mercy. Mercy isn't speaking up enough. The ex? She's being herself… and that's pretty flawed.

I feel like I am reading about real people, not superheroes who have only 1 or 2 flaws that ONLY become apparent when needed to drive the plot and are then fixed by the end. Here, we have people making all sorts of mistakes in pretty reasonable ways. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and say they're behaving badly. It's a lot harder to be perfect every day. I'd rather read about flawed people, myself.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:47 pm »
THANK YOU.  Yes, this.
Mercy didn't even tell us about what consequences she set up for Christie after she'd been warned once about encroaching in Mercy's bathroom.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
I agree!  So many times during this book, I could think, "Oh, I've been in a place similar to where Adam is now with my ex.  There's no RIGHT answer, only a menu of compromises.  Which one will he choose and what will the consequences be?"

It also strikes me that since this book is completely from Mercy's POV, we don't know what Adam is thinking about all this, or what he's doing while Mercy is at work or wherever and he's trying to deal with Christy and his wolves and find the stalker -- only what Mercy sees of his actions. 

I imagine we'll see some fallout from all of this in the next book(s) -- it will be interesting to see how they all deal with it.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »
Exactly. 

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:36 am »
I agree!  So many times during this book, I could think, "Oh, I've been in a place similar to where Adam is now with my ex.  There's no RIGHT answer, only a menu of compromises.  Which one will he choose and what will the consequences be?"

I imagine we'll see some fallout from all of this in the next book(s) -- it will be interesting to see how they all deal with it.

I can agree with that during the meal times when they were all sitting around the table talking and excluding Mercy.  I can also believe stress and just not thinking would cause Adam to listen to Christy and initially think that Mercy had done something to hurt Christy.   Those couple scenarios are ones that can happen when someone is not thinking things through.

I don't see how you can say what Adam did was understandable when he gave his cell phone to Christy TWICE (at least) or when he let her bring the make-up into their bathroom and especially, after Mercy said no to the make-up, he let her bring her shampoo and conditioner into the shower or when he suggested to Mercy that she could stay at Kyle's place while Christy stayed at their house with him.   

I understand that a lot of people on this forum love Adam and want to defend him, but if it was your husband and his ex moved in with you for a while, would you be okay with the things that Adam did?

As to Mercy being to passive, I sort of agree with that with the caveat that she really couldn't make too much of a fuss with Christy without many in the pack feeling like Mercy was being mean to her.   I don't know that Mercy was in much of a position to defend herself or her position in her home without appearing to pack members as abusing her position.  Even when she caught Christy in a lie in front of the pack, it still wound up being a poor Christy party so I can just imagine the fallout if she put her foot down without being able to show Christy's true colors to the pack.

And, when Mercy did point stuff out to Adam - like the make-up oops- he didn't follow through with her wishes.  Hence the shampoo and conditioner in the shower (the only excuse for those things being in the shower would be if she put them in when Adam wasn't looking.  But if he was being truly supportive of Mercy, he would have removed them as soon as he realized they were there).

As to fallout, I hope you are right and there is some because I think it certainly deserves to rain down on a few heads.  I suspect though that will only happen if Christy decides to stay in town.

gingerwood

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2014, 05:27:44 am »
About the shampoo, I'd just like to point out that we don't know if Adam knew about, much less gave permission for Christie to use their bathroom again.  She could have just used it without checking with anyone and Mercy was the first to notice

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2014, 08:58:54 am »
Exactly, Gingerwood! 
That's the same for the cell, because my guess, unlike those of several people, most recently CatchMeIfYouCan, is thatAdam did NOT 'hand over' his cell to Christie, but that he used it, set it down, and she - in her constant encroaching, possessive fashion - picked it up and started screening who she would or would not let talk to Adam. We have no eyewitness account of how many people other than Mercy didn't get to talk with Adam because Christie was doing her "Warren doesn't like me, I won't let him talk to Adam" thing.

Additionally, with regard to the shampoo & conditioner, when was the last time before Mercy found them in her shower/bathroom that Adam had been there?  He might not have known, because, like trying to track the cat through the house - as they were doing right then - they couldn't easily track her in the house, due to her scent being everywhere.  Christie has trouble taking no for an answer.  She was denied - quite politely, all told - the right to have her makeup in their shower, so she'd try encroaching AGAIN by weaseling in the hair products.  Mercy DID polite.  It didn't take.  Next level: dye.

Now, I'll agree, Adam still seems to have been letting Christie walk all over both of them.  He's not perfect.  But I go back to the comment earlier about "look, mortals, not superheroes, with only 1 flaw to push the plot, which will be resolved by the end of the story arc!"  Real people goober up.  And we have all :D got the right to be disappointed in them, or angry at them, for doing so.  Nonetheless, let's not turn it into "Adam is a jerk after all", okay?  Mercy could have spent some of her considerable brain power, and Coyote-bequeathed genius for mischief, on doing more to undermine Christie herself, at least before things reached the boiling point with The Stalker in her garage, throwing his finger at her.  So why aren't we railing at her behavior, which is also - for the most part - wimpy?  Losing weight? Taking the baked goods to Tad? And all she has as a riposte is Spudnuts?  Feeeeble, people.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:49:00 pm by Patti L. »