Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 99537 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:13 am »
Something to that effect, or the truth but not the whole truth, or even just a Christie spin on the truth, as she does so often.  Reminded of that conversation, you wonder who the little so-and-so drove off that way before?  And how badly she hurt all of them by doing so, in her self-absorption.

I'm wondering about Cookie, too.  Do you suppose she's going to end up being important later?  Joel's observation on good people being a larger group than bad is wonderful, but sadly, Gary's observation about what it means is also true.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 04:11:51 pm »
I agree about Joel and Gary's observations about good people, I don't see how Cookie will be important, but there has to be a reason why she was the only dog that wasn't sacrificed. The dead dogs was really sad, and after how hard Joel and his wife worked to rescue them. I'm reading the book again, and I'm finding even more interesting questions I don't have answers for. Adam met Christy and was with her since she was 18 and he was already a werewolf, I wonder at which point in the relationship he told her what he was. Someone in the previous books I think it was mentioned when werewolves were aloud to tell the humans they were with what they were but I don't remember it, because if he eventually did tell her and she stayed with him all those years anyway I don't see how she can continue to blame him for what he was. I also wonder if he explained to her the chances of a miscarriage rate being with a werewolf were, and yet she still chose to keep trying to have a child, then she couldn't keep making him feel guilty about it because it takes two and she'd had fair warning. There's also the fact that Christy told Adam she was scared to being alone with the wolves without him when she apparently went places with just Mary Jo and Auriele, and if she was so scared of them why deliberately go for a guy like Gueyota thinking he was a werewolf? I was also thinking at which point Christy realized how off balance the volcano god was, and that he wasn't going to leave her alone? After all she was with him and then at some point started dating Troy? When Darryl snaps at Mercy about how he's irritated with her about upsetting Christy and than realizes that he was just manipulated Adam comments that he's not used to standing up against someone like Christy and thinks its again amusing. I really wish he would wake up when it comes to her, but it seems she still can make Adam do whatever she wants, and he doesn't really seem to care. Christy even made that comment about how she knows she's been a bad mother but she didn't say it because she felt guilty it was just to gain sympathy, I'd think Adam or someone would at least not like the fact that she's using Jesse as a ploy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:29:56 pm by Kristenann »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 07:05:49 pm »
Christie is supposed to be 100% human, but what if she's got some kind of supernatural power nobody around her has run into before?  I swear, the way she gets sympathy, and gets sympathy, and has all these champions, you have to wonder, especially as they come up against supernaturals from other cultures.  Has Bran ever met her?  I don't suppose he's run into every kind of sup in the world, but between him & Asil... I thing they should sniff her out, by golly.

I also think that Adam cares, a lot, but he doesn't have the emotional tools to fight her effectively.

In Moon Called, when Mercy told Kyle about werewolves, that's where the "only wives/husbands" thing came in.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:48 pm »
I also think that Adam cares, a lot, but he doesn't have the emotional tools to fight her effectively.
This.  This exactly.  He doesn't know how to smack Christy down in a way that won't cause backlash that's worse than the original problem.  If she were a wolf, he'd know how to do it.  If she were Mercy, I think he'd do it anyway because he's come to trust Mercy to take care of herself.  But she's not one of his wolves and she's not Mercy.  She knows how to prey upon his sympathies and those of his pack. She's the mother of his child.  And she's human and being stalked by a super-dangerous creature that she can't handle herself.  Adam is stuck between a volcano and a coyote, and he's not infallible.  So the situation (Christy in the house, not the situation with Guayota - that was out of hand to begin with and requires much less delicacy to deal with) gets a little bit out of hand.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:08 pm »
Additionally, Christie's not pack, and never was, for all that the pack treats her as such to a large degree.  That is where the real problem exists.  The pack keeps treating her as a submissive mated to the alpha, I think.  Protect, protect, protect.  She's not his mate, she never was, but they were around her for twenty years, more or less.  They've assimilated the habit of protecting her, just like (and partly from) Adam, and like situations with Jesse (remember the bullies who tried to beat her up?) they rush to her defense.  She doesn't have the "competing (and lessor!) predator!  Chase off/Kill!" vibe that Mercy has, and she's always done the "poor sweet, helpless me" thing that kicks any hint of dominance into overdrive.  Put all that together with the other stresses this pack has been under since... Was Warren brought in before or after the divorce?  Whichever of those two came first, anyway.

In fact... Given that Bran ordered Adam to bring the pack (or was it a split of the pack?) to move to the Trikes to guard Mercy, and presumably that means that not just Christie, but pretty much all the wolves that came with Adam to Washington had their lives uprooted on her behalf... man, there's some bad feeling dumped on the wrong person.
Again.
Remember, they also resented Mercy not declaring yes or no on Adam's claiming her as mate?  And she didn't know what it was doing to the dynamic of the pack?  Well... she didn't know the pack was sent for her protection, either, did she?  But guess who would get the blame in the eyes of the wolves?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:59:37 pm by Patti L. »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 08:39:07 pm »
That could definitely become of the back story for the trouble Mercy has with the pack.

I have another theory about Cookie and the new submissive. Like Karra, they are there for the story and we won't see them again until Patty Briggs has a need for them.

I still don't know how Mercy found time to chase Media around the house, with Adam, and still find blue dye to dump into Christie's shampoo.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:43:29 pm by Janilee »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:16 pm »
Blue food coloring.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »
In fact... Given that Bran ordered Adam to bring the pack (or was it a split of the pack?) to move to the Trikes to guard Mercy, and presumably that means that not just Christie, but pretty much all the wolves that came with Adam to Washington had their lives uprooted on her behalf... man, there's some bad feeling dumped on the wrong person.
Again.
Remember, they also resented Mercy not declaring yes or no on Adam's claiming her as mate?  And she didn't know what it was doing to the dynamic of the pack?  Well... she didn't know the pack was sent for her protection, either, did she?  But guess who would get the blame in the eyes of the wolves?

I'm pretty sure Bran sent Adam to the Tri-cities to take care of a rogue pack, Adam decided to stay for the government contracts he could get there, and then Bran asked him to watch over Mercy.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:24 pm »
Blue food coloring.

Perhaps, I'm not sure it would be strong enough for the effects mentioned. I'm not certain Ritt Dye would be. An those are the two I can think of as being available in the 'average' household. My natural indigo is off limits Mercy!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:07:11 pm by Janilee »

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2014, 01:29:21 am »
Christie is supposed to be 100% human, but what if she's got some kind of supernatural power nobody around her has run into before?  I swear, the way she gets sympathy, and gets sympathy, and has all these champions, you have to wonder, especially as they come up against supernaturals from other cultures.  Has Bran ever met her?  I don't suppose he's run into every kind of sup in the world, but between him & Asil... I thing they should sniff her out, by golly.

I've wondered if it is possible that Christie has a touch of Fae in her family tree. Not enough to smell like it, but enough to give her a touch of glamour that would let her seem right all the time.

I'm also wondering what will happen with the garage, now in ashes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:18:58 am by Patti L. »
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 05:36:21 am »
Blue food coloring.

Perhaps, I'm not sure it would be strong enough for the effects mentioned. I'm not certain Ritt Dye would be. An those are the two I can think of as being available in the 'average' household. My natural indigo is off limits Mercy!

Oh, but remember that Jesse likes to dye her hair interesting colors.  I have a kid with similar taste in hairstyles and I can assure you that I could find hairdye in any of a number of interesting colors at a moment's notice in our house! I'm not sure how well it would work if applied as a mixture with shampoo - and probably rinsed off immediately -- but since Christy is blonde, it would at least leave a stain.  And...sorry Mercy, it almost certainly stained the inside of the shower.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 10:13:08 am »
Mercy's garage isn't in ashes to whoever it was said that.  The floor was damaged and parts strewn all over, but the fire department checked for embers and hot spots and left without any big problems found.

I must say that I did have to laugh at the irony of the story Auriele was telling about the kid in her class, Clark, who lies and manipulates people with every word out of his mouth.  Then of course, she falls for every lie and manipulation that Christy gets up to.   I suspect the difference is the HS student knows that he’s lying, but Christie just thinks she’s swaying things a bit and mostly telling the truth. (till the end there!)

I'm guessing that Honey is going to adopt Cookie because of where she mentioned about possibly needing to adopt a dog. (though I can't remember exactly at what point that was, I know she did say it)

I agree with a lot said about how Adam put up with way too much from Christy as far as Mercy goes.  Not all, I think he was at a loss how to deal with it without going all Alpha on her which he probably thought was too much, (and to be fair, probably was in some, but not all ways) .   Also, he was trying to give Mercy the chance to use her authority herself about most things, and they were both trying to heal the pack politics, not tear things up worse.  Makes it complicated, which WWs aren't all that good with.

Not finding many details that need masked, nothing much plot-wise given away, but smack me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:20:36 pm by DandelionWine »
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 11:25:20 am »
Oh, but remember that Jesse likes to dye her hair interesting colors.  I have a kid with similar taste in hairstyles and I can assure you that I could find hairdye in any of a number of interesting colors at a moment's notice in our house! I'm not sure how well it would work if applied as a mixture with shampoo - and probably rinsed off immediately -- but since Christy is blonde, it would at least leave a stain.  And...sorry Mercy, it almost certainly stained the inside of the shower.

Now that would do it!  LOL

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
I don't think Adam would of had to pull his Alpha rank or smacked Christy down, if he would of kept his phone on him to make sure he'd get Mercy's phone calls especially after Christy told Mercy he was unavailable to talk to her. Isn't there anyway Adam could of told Christy no, without treating her like he's the big bad Alpha wolf? Like Christy using their personal bathroom because her stuff didn't fit with Jesse's in the other one, I mean how much room does a make up case and shampoo take up? I get him falling into old patterns and behaviors with Christy but it pushed the patterns he got used to with Mercy out the door. And everyone giving Mercy dirty looks because Christy's table cloth had a mark on it seems excessive. I actually hope Christy has some kind of fae blood or magic that would make more sense to everyone falling to her whims. I really hope she doesn't move back, and continue to try and cause problems. The hair dye thing was funny, Christy should just be lucky Mercy didn't pull out the big guns and take all her shoes. I just hope Mercy gets better treatment in the next book, then she did in this one by certain people, she has more than earned it. I wonder what Brans reaction will be when he finds out Adam now has a tibicena in the pack.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:26:47 am by Kristenann »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:08 am »
You know what that last question prompted in me?  Now... Adam has in his pack
A gay
A coyote
A Tibicena
A (at least one!) female acting like she's exactly as dominant as she actually is, mate or no mate.
So... Bran is aware - none more! - how strange old werewolves can get. 
He's also aware that other than his sons, who don't much actually seem to want to be Alpha at all, let alone Uber-Alpha, Adam is the most dominant werewolf in North America (possibly South too.)
Is he grooming Adam as vice-Marrok? In case/when he goes down?

>D