Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 96890 times)

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 02:04:21 am »
One other thing.....how in the world is PB going to come up with a more terrifying monster for Mercy and Adam to fight?  I mean, seriously, she has set the bar so extremely high that it isn't even funny!

I hope that is not the future of these stories. I'd like to see something small, sneaky and nasty or anything but an attempt to keep finding a bigger monster.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 02:05:45 am »
Yes, but Patty has said she's a pantser. Do you think she's planned that far ahead? Though I do like the idea him being there just to show a world exists outside the plot.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 02:36:56 am »
Yes, but Patty has said she's a pantser. Do you think she's planned that far ahead? [/spoiler]

Pantser? I missed her comment, and I'm afraid it's over my head. :-[
Leo Buscaglia

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 02:55:26 am »
Writes by the seat of her pants instead of planning it all out. I could be mistaken. It's too late for me to go looking through interviews for that comment though.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 03:04:03 am »
Mercy's fight being seen by the rest of the pack.  Good.  Very good.  Let them FINALLY see that she's fighting for all mankind.  Mankind as base human, werewolf, witch, or fae.  Mankind as CANTRIP or North American supernatural.  It doesn't matter to Mercy, she's fighting for the right of the underdog to dog, if you will.  And if the pack gets some back-splash, well... they're strong, and once upon a time they were base-human too.  Most of them wish they still were, so why do they object to her fighting for the base humans to continue living in their dream world?  Yours was spoiled?  Don't pee on your younger siblings' parades, wolves.

This is what Christy shows she does not understand at the end. She whinges about how the pack all think she farts rainbows (or words near that) while not all loving her and misses that Mercy is all about the others while Christy is all about Christy.
Oh, yeah, and Bulldog Drummond popped in my (alleged) mind as well.

Thanks, Zealth. So, I dunno. We'll see.
Leo Buscaglia

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »
O.K., this is after my first read through. I usually need two reads to solidify my ideas.

We know that the story will continue. (Contracts and interviews and all that.) My bet is the next story will be the rescue of Tad and perhaps a way to lower the tension between the Fae and the mortal world. Perhaps with Alpha and Omega help to uncover the CANTRIP plotters.

Christy is a lovely plot twister to throw in for general mass confusion. I love how both Adam and Mercy cooperate to lessen her effects. I also like how their relationship is evolving. Darryl's irritation with himself she he realize Christy has once again used his wife to play him against Mercy is beautiful. Christy's twistyness is also a great plot devise to show Honey as the fully developed personality she is. Honey likes and admires Mercy, but does not like all of the changes Mercy creates. The fact that Christy's plots let Honey move from her sorrow to defense of Mercy when the pack starts to split shows how well Patty Briggs can develop a complex character.

As for our new submissive in the pack I can see him doing several things for the plot. He made it possible for the audience to view the ceremony of the entry of a new pack member. It had been hinted at, but not fully shown. It gave us an image to link up with then Joel was teasing with the wound on Mercy's arm. Zack's fear provides a way to see Gary in a more complex way. Zack also provides Ben with a future good deed.

The pack is also evolving with the changes that Mercy is inflicting upon them. Their acceptance of Honey as a fighter, and Warren as a valued members due in some part to Mercy's effect as a catalyst for change. (For which I do believe she can blame Coyote!  :D ) It is also due to Adam's skills as a leader. And then of course the Character of Warren and Honey allow for the change to take place. :)

I predict that the next adventure will not be a more powerful monster precisely, but a more complicated plot that will require Mercy to use not only her knowledge of other cultures, but her contacts in many worlds.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:49 pm »
That last strikes me as most likely, Janilee.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 02:31:34 am »

I started to try saying I agree with and like that also, and then realized I was failing to say that I like the whole post. ???
Leo Buscaglia

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 02:33:16 am »
I really loved this book but it is funny, the villian didn't impress me very much. To me he wasn't nearly as intimidating as many of the other bad guys that Mercy and Charles/Anna have already taken on.  What gripped me was everything that happened within the pack and with the mischief that Christy created (talk about Coyote being a mischief maker, I think Christy is right up with the way she causes havoc!). 

That so many members of the pack would be foolish enough to fall for Christy's very obvious traps and power plays really angered me (they obviously never read Games People Play by Eric Berne.  Christy really, really seemed to take pages right out of that psych book.).   I understand Mary Jo falling for anything Christy says since she, I think, is still motivated by jealousy  but I really thought Auriele was more discerning than that.  Loved that Honey, Warren and Ben were not pulled in at all!! 

I would have liked Adam to have been more assertive with Christy on her place in the household and for showing less respect to Mercy thans she deserved.  And why, after Mercy said no to Christy's stuff being in their bathroom, would Adam have been okay with Christy leaving her shampoo in their shower?  I didn't get that at all unless Christy just snuck it in and Adam didn't notice with everything else that was going on.

As to the future, I'm sort of hoping that Gary continues to show up.  I think it would be great for Mercy to have a sibling around and I think Gary would be really helpful in getting Honey through her grief.  I wonder what role Joel will play in the pack and how the pack members will react to him - bearing in mind that he was instrumental in ending the volcano god's threat.  And I wonder what caused Zack to be so frightend, he reminds me of Anna before Charles helped her out of her shell.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:35:49 am by catchmeifyoucan »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29:47 pm »

I started to try saying I agree with and like that also, and then realized I was failing to say that I like the whole post. ???

LOL Why, thank you. I'll have more when I've finished the second read through.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:24 pm »
Won't we all?  Including the :o - Mercy thanked a fae!  Ari, but still...

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 05:20:49 pm »
Wait, I missed that.  I thought she thanked Tad.
I'm waiting to get my hard copy from Labmate this weekend for the re-read, though.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:24 pm »
That one is 50% so who knows if it sticks there?

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:17 pm »
He might have 50% human blood, but he kind of proved himself more than just your average half-fae in this book, didn't he?  BUT he is Mercy's friend.  I trust him with her thanks more than I trust Stephen.  And I'm not particularly suspicious of Stephan.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »
That's fine, but it's still the other one, with Adam & the Gang of Four near the end that I'm referring to.