Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 99503 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 07:41:42 am »
Ksr17, Alpha's mate can pull on his power, as we've seen a number of times - Anna can pull on Charles' too - and she is Coyote's daughter.  I think it's probably due to both of those that she managed.  I doubt (hope not!) Leah could do the same thing, for instance.  Consider the consequences of that, if she discovered it. Brr!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

gingerwood

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 07:46:22 am »

How is it possible for Mercy to bring someone into the pack?
Not only is she not Alpha, she is not a Werewolf!

It's the nature of Mercy's magic to warp other people's magic to her benefit.  Add to that the Coyote's daughter 'Rules are for other people' tendency.  So all she had to do was bend the rules and warp the pack magic to her own ends.  She did something similar in Frost Burned when she pulled the silver out of the pack.

Completely in character for her and probably impossible for anyone else. 

ksr17

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2014, 07:14:05 am »
Thanks for reminding me of the silver!
And yet another reason I do not understand the wolves attitude towards her!

I do realize that Mercy has many special qualities and look forward to how these qualities affect her fate and place in the various worlds!

gingerwood

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2014, 08:39:44 am »
I do wonder if Christy threw out all her cosmetics and whatnot, rather than risking what might happen if the too had been tampered with    >D

A sudden thought.  Given that it's well established that werewolves can smell a lie, when Bran was investigating the shoe incident why didn't he simply ask Mercy if she had anything to do with it?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »
A sudden thought.  Given that it's well established that werewolves can smell a lie, when Bran was investigating the shoe incident why didn't he simply ask Mercy if she had anything to do with it?

It might not have occurred to him. He knew she had done it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2014, 03:51:13 pm »
Or he didn't want to have it proved, because, Leah, you know?

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »
Or he didn't want to have it proved, because, Leah, you know?
That was my first guess.
My second was that he was irritated because he couldn't figure out how she did it, and was determined to figure it out for himself because dangit, he's old and clever and powerful and she's just a half-grown coyote pup! 

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:27 am »
I could also see Mercy not exactly lying to Bran if he did ask....but converting the truth like she did with Adam in Iron Kissed when he asked Mercy if she was able to get the scent off of Jessie for the people that jumped her.  Mercy could've just skirted around it....Plus, she also had Charles AND Samuel backing her up.  But, I think the more realistic answer to that is that Bran wanted to figure out exactly HOW Mercy did it.  It would drive him up the wall.....and come on.......you have to admit.....I think that Bran LOVES it that Mercy really isn't afraid of him and has the audacity to steal shoes of all things from his mate!  LOL

LynnL

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 09:19:22 am »
I'm sorry, but as I see this book, Adam isn't even handling his pack (Mary Jo and Aureille went way beyond acceptable behavior with Mercy throughout this story- can you picture what Bran would do to either one of them if they gave a a tenth the attitude they give to Mercy to his mate, Leah),  I don't see how Adam could possibly be considered Marrock material. 

Adam needs to get his house in order before he aspires to anything else.  It sounded to me like the pack was a mess back when Mercy didn't realize she needed to give him an answer on being his mate and it still doesn't look like the pack has improved much at all since that question was answered with Adam and Mercy marrying.  That house cleaning, IMO, needs to start with him actually backing Mercy up instead of leaving her blowing in the wind when she needs him to guard her back.

It still infuriates me that he actually suggested she spend the night elsewhere while his ex-wife stayed at home with him.   This has nothing to do with not talking bad about the ex.  That was a very firm demonstration of support for Christy over his mate - even if Adam didn't intend that.  How do you think Mary Jo or Aurielle (or Christy, for that matter) interpreted that suggestion.  Not to mention, his letting Christy keep his phone when he knows Christy has been jerking Mercy around when she answers his calls...so many examples of Adam letting Mercy down or not even thinking of her in this book it really made me  sad (and angry, as you can probably tell).

I totally agree, Adam absolutely dropped the ball on this one.  And the pack takes their cues from his behavior, too.  Mercy is so used to being to odd woman out, first in Bran's pack and then Adam's,  that she forgets what is entitled to her: her  husband's 100% support.  I wish we could have seen Adam's "taking a strip" of a Christy from playing phone tag while Mercy fought for her life.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:21:01 am by LynnL »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2014, 10:00:24 am »
Human or werewolf, if a person is under enough stress, he or she will drop the ball sometimes.  Consider all the stresses Adam is under, too.  Maybe someone should have given him a whap upside the head, but other than Mercy, who understandably didn't want to start a fight with him over this right now, who could/would have done so, among those on the spot during this period?

Yeah.

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
Human or werewolf, if a person is under enough stress, he or she will drop the ball sometimes.  Consider all the stresses Adam is under, too.  Maybe someone should have given him a whap upside the head, but other than Mercy, who understandably didn't want to start a fight with him over this right now, who could/would have done so, among those on the spot during this period?

Yeah.

Why would it have to be a fight?  It shouldn't have to be anything more than reminding Adam that he and the pack are being manipulated.  And that happens several times:

Darrell points out that Christy manipulated him when they were going to Zake's place and Adam was right there.   

Honey also was willing to give Adam reality checks.  Remember when Adam says it is okay for Mercy to blame Christy as long as she remembers it isn't Christy's faulty (WHAT???), Mercy says "Only if you remember that while she is drumming up sympathy for her heaping helping of guilt - she doesn't really feel responsible.  Just for now responsible."  And Honey says "Sounds like you know our Christy as well as those of us who lived with her.  Some of us, anyway." 

My point is that enough people pointed out the manipulation to Adam (including Mercy) and yet he kept going right along with it.  At no point did he try to rectify the situation or at very least call Christy on what she was doing.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2014, 11:17:25 am »
I agree there didn't need to be a fight, or argument, or Adam having to pull Alpha wolf rank to straighten Christy out. I think he should of told Christy conversationally I have to keep my phone on me and take my wife's phone calls. He could of told her lets see if Jesse will move some of her stuff around in the bathroom and see if we can't make room for your makeup bag and shampoo. Adam was stressed about the Guayota situation and probably some of that due to the pack being split, but he seemed amused by Christy ( I could be reading it wrong) and he knew how upset and frustrating Mercy was finding it. I understand Mercy not wanting to add to his problems by bringing any of it up, maybe she'll address some of it now that Christy's gone to stay with Auriele. I mean Christy not telling anyone she thought her stalker was a werewolf putting EVERYONE in danger, Adam says oh it isn't you fault you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. A place that before Guayota went crazy on her she enjoyed and openly pursued. Everyone else in the book has to take responsibility for their actions and mistakes, but not Christy? And Christy pressed every advantage she could get by making Mercy feel left out like she wasn't part of the family and that Christy could easily have her position back, and by Adam not saying anything or even acting like he was comfortable with it, fueled on that hope.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
I see all of Mercy and Adam's reactions being tempered by Jesse. In their consideration of Christy, they always first remember she is Jesse's mother. They do not want to make Jesse feel she must side against her mother. There are all sorts of psychology books on parenting that tell you this is the best way to treat children from broken homes. And for minor glitches in human behavior this is the best way to act. Both Mercy and Adam are using this method during a very less-than-normal situation. They believe they should take the hit as adults.

This does not mean that I, in any way, was against the bitch slap that Mercy gave Christy with the dye job. >D

Jesse's reaction shows that she is aware that Adam and Mercy are not reacting for her sake. They are the three people who are trying to act in a non-childish manner. Jesse is learning that good adults sacrifice for their children. Being the sensitive sensible young lady she is, I expect she will treat her children much better than her mother treats her. She has had a very good example in her father and her step-mother. It is difficult to learn that the best thing you can do with a very flawed relative is love them and not like their actions.

This does not mean I don't believe that Jesse, Mercy and Adam need to have several talks about the hurt done to each other by this situation. Mercy and Adam have the mating bonds to show each other the love and intentions behind their actions. Jesse will need more of a verbal response.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »
Christy abandoned Jessed on numerous occasions so she could run around with different men she's met, she sleeps with her best friends husband just to prove she could and other men within an hour probably of meeting them and didn't Mercy mention she knows this because Jessed told her? And then there's the fact that her mother dates the kind of men (at least one) in which try to climb into her child's bed. I didn't hear that Christy called the police on this guy who if he did it to her daughter, will probably try it with someone else's too. Maybe Christy does love her daughter Jesse, but even at Adam and Mercy's house aside from having Jesse help with cleaning off the dinner table and watching a movie with her, most of Christy's attention was on trying to get between Adam and Mercy at the same time trying to cause more trouble with the pack, when they had a psychotic god to deal with. My point is maybe Jesse also needs to be protected from her mothers influence, standing up to her might not cause a larger gap but close one. Jesse knows how her mother is, which is why she was scared about her staying there and practically  begged them to have Christy stay somewhere else, even with a stalker. Sometimes one parent needs to protect their child from the other, even if the child might not see it that way sometimes its necessary. Her mother I'm sure would never physically harm her daughter but there are other types of harm, some she's already done and some she's trying to do, and this hurts Jesse. Jesse seems much happier and safer emotionally with just Adam and Mercy.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2014, 05:17:26 pm »
Regardless of Christy's bad behavior towards her daughter...
Well, look.  I know someone a lot like her.  A couple of someones, actually.  And their daughters, despite logically knowing that their mothers are bad news, refused to do anything against them.  Of course, neither girl had a dad, so they didn't have an "easy" (And I use that term loosely; I'm sure that sharing the right information to get Adam to pressure Christy into giving him primary physical custody was difficult for Jesse in many ways) way out of the situation. 

Now, Jesse's lucky.  She's got her dad and and she got herself into a better situation.  But the thing is... she loves her mom.  And you may be right, Kristenann, having Adam and/or Mercy put Christy in her place as she deserves might be the best thing to validate Jesse's complicated relationship with the woman... but no matter how mature she is about handling the situation, she's still in a tight spot here.

Adam is an Alpha werewolf, but that doesn't make him infallible.  Is anyone here certain that, had he reacted to her in a different way, things wouldn't have blown up somehow?  Christy's good at manipulating people, so maybe if Adam had put her in her place, she'd have gotten all upset and that would have gotten the wolves all upset on her behalf, and then instead of focusing on ignoring Christy and finding and dealing with her stalker so they could get her to go home, Adam would have had to deal with increased resentment from Christy, plus anger and resentment from his wolves (when he was just getting things settled back down after the last blow-out in the pack), PLUS getting rid of the stalker. 

Did Adam drop the ball here?  Absolutely.  But would any of us necessarily have done better in his place?  Maybe, maybe not. 

I also think that we're not giving enough credit to the fact that Adam's not a young man.  My dad's half-siblings are a couple of years younger than Adam.  For instance, divorce was much less common in Adam's youth, and single fathers raising their kids was apparently virtually unheard of.  So maybe Adam just isn't sure how to handle having his ex-wife and his wife living under the same roof.

He's driven to protect the mother of his daughter.
Allowing Christy to live with another pack member and sew dissent from outside his supervision is obviously a bad idea.  So he lets her come and stay in his home.  But then, what is her place?  What position does she hold?  She's not one of his wolves, so he can't rank her by dominance.  She's not his wife any more and he has no desire to treat her as such.  Besides, like I said before, no matter how much he's come to terms with her being his ex, having her back in his personal space has to be screwing with his head even without him being otherwise unsure of how to deal with her, and outside of her treatment of Mercy. 

Get annoyed at Adam.  But then eat his dead bunny and let it go.