Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 99504 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
I like that idea Patti.  >D

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »
@ Kristenann   ~  I hear what you're saying, Adam was careless, thoughtless and an idiot...  Which means, he's pretty much a typical guy!  I mostly just accept that since I'm not the one doing the hard work of writing the book, I'll just have to accept what the author chooses to do.

I enjoyed when Honey made the comments about the phone thing when she talked to him while Mercy was driving, I admit I did think he'd wise up more, but things were pretty crazy and moved pretty fast so I'll give him a pass, especially since I'm not the one writing the books.

That's a pretty interesting idea Patti L.  He could even be doing it without being 100% aware of what he's doing, (maybe only 98% aware?) ...  Samuel likes him, Charles deals pretty well with him, and we know Samuel doesn't want to be Alpha, though we don't really know about Charles.  We do know that Darryl could probably take over the Columbia Basin pack just fine.   Interesting.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »
Maybe he was having his cake and eating it too. He has Mercy who he loves for who she is, and he has Christy who is back and needs taking care of and he liked taking care of her.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2014, 02:32:44 pm »
Patti, your idea also has another angle. In any future conflict Adam is the best known target. :(

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:45 pm »
Yes, but Adam also clearly has the back-up to make him a "Don't mess with this guy" person.
And gets more so every day. 

Not that people won't try, but if any pack is up to the challenge of surviving with that kind of target on its back, it's Adam's.  Bran's pack wouldn't be able to handle it because he's got too many delicate wolves.  Strong, but too easily unbalanced. While the Columbia Basin pack has more than a couple of hidden aces, these days.  I suspect Bran of being up to something far more complex than we're anticipating...

Also... remember that not all of the "aces" in Adam's pack were in any way shape or form Bran's doing.  I mean, sure, Bran put Adam in Mercy's territory, but Adam was married at the time, so Bran wasn't trying to hook them up.  He accepted Mercy in Adam's pack, but it was ADAM who did it, and Bran says he had no idea that was even possible.  He could be lying.  But it doesn't seem that he was encouraging or pushing Adam to do it.  and as for Joel, that was MERCY who brought him into the pack, and we don't know how Bran has/will react to that.  I suspect he'll be quite pleased, at least as far as we see.  He is a very old wolf.  He's got to be incredibly thrilled that Mercy is causing all this ruckus in a pack run by one of his strongest Alphas, not in his personal pack, so he only has to deal with it indirectly for the most part
And the females thing, that's a bit of Mercy again, isn't it?  Bran allows it, but he's not stupid.  Eventually, he'd have to deal with modern American women as werewolves who demand their own place as equals in the pack.  Mercy just happened to be the driving force, and Bran knows that she's a force to be reckoned with.  So he's going with it (on his own terms, of course) because he sees this as the easiest way to ease his old wolves into the idea.  Start it with the coyote, in Adam's pack (the wolves all know Bran has a soft spot for that little upstart, and she's up there in Adam's pack, too far up the chain of command, well-protected and really not worth messing with)... spread it through some younger, less rigid packs... let it trickle down to the old-timers. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2014, 04:43:25 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Adam doesn't want the whole cake and eating it thing in the least, I just can't see that at all and I'm pretty sure a lot of this is way over thinking things.  Mostly, it just is what it is, which IMO is probably for the most part a way to get the story rolling in the right direction, but I'm going to walk down the road anyway.

Christy is the mother of his child, and she's manipulative and selfish and spiteful, which may be something that has increased over the years or not, but he's not going to want to be too critical of Christy in front of Jesse, or have her faults shoved in Jesse's face even IF Jesse is well aware of them.  (maybe especially if she's well aware of them)  Which by the way, is a strict policy that more divorced parents should subscribe to thank you very much!   He's not the first man to be in over his head about this sort of thing, and him being a werewolf isn't going to help him, it's a confusing situation for a lot of parents, and a lot of men. 

Also, he's a product of his upbringing which, (and I do know folks who are old enough to have been there and then,) which means you don't bad-mouth your wife (or ex) and you don't contradict them in front of 'the kids' which in the case of a wolf pack, could have some very complex interpretations, not just Jesse.  The fact that there's a current and an ex involved, only confuses matters even more.  Yes, he possibly should take Mercy's side, but the whole "Jesse's Mother", and old ingrained habits, and pack politics thing complicates everything.  If he rushes to Mercy's defense, does he diminish her ability to deal with it?  It's Mercy!  She might just want to handle it herself, much like other monsters!

He'd possibly, maybe, probably, just rather, rightly or wrongly:  A) Trust Mercy can handle it.  or B) Hope they can get this situation dealt with and get Christy out of their hair quickly.

It isn't a simple high school romance were everything is all trite and simple and cut and dried.  Time and age and circumstances can take things in odd directions even when werewolves aren't involved.  Besides, Mercy is a coyote, she's tough and he knows it, and so does she.

Again, not using the spoilerizing blocks, this is all mostly character analysis stuff which we've all indulged in ad-nausiam anyway.

This question though probably needs it.  Am I right that Mercy never told Adam that Gary is well over 100 years old and that it seems that she will live longer than a strictly human would too?  Maybe did she tell him 'off camera' do we think? 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:06 am »
Also, he's a product of his upbringing which, (and I do know folks who are old enough to have been there and then,) which means you don't bad-mouth your wife (or ex) and you don't contradict them in front of 'the kids' which in the case of a wolf pack, could have some very complex interpretations, not just Jesse.  The fact that there's a current and an ex involved, only confuses matters even more.  Yes, he possibly should take Mercy's side, but the whole "Jesse's Mother", and old ingrained habits, and pack politics thing complicates everything.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say above.

There are things Adam & Mercy have discovered during the action of this story that they haven't had time, privacy and not being in a moving car long enough to reveal to each other.
Also, just possibly, a piece of information we readers glommed onto may have slid past Mercy's attention in the press of more urgent issues.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2014, 10:27:17 am »
I'm sorry, but as I see this book, Adam isn't even handling his pack (Mary Jo and Aureille went way beyond acceptable behavior with Mercy throughout this story- can you picture what Bran would do to either one of them if they gave a a tenth the attitude they give to Mercy to his mate, Leah),  I don't see how Adam could possibly be considered Marrock material. 

Adam needs to get his house in order before he aspires to anything else.  It sounded to me like the pack was a mess back when Mercy didn't realize she needed to give him an answer on being his mate and it still doesn't look like the pack has improved much at all since that question was answered with Adam and Mercy marrying.  That house cleaning, IMO, needs to start with him actually backing Mercy up instead of leaving her blowing in the wind when she needs him to guard her back.

It still infuriates me that he actually suggested she spend the night elsewhere while his ex-wife stayed at home with him.   This has nothing to do with not talking bad about the ex.  That was a very firm demonstration of support for Christy over his mate - even if Adam didn't intend that.  How do you think Mary Jo or Aurielle (or Christy, for that matter) interpreted that suggestion.  Not to mention, his letting Christy keep his phone when he knows Christy has been jerking Mercy around when she answers his calls...so many examples of Adam letting Mercy down or not even thinking of her in this book it really made me  sad (and angry, as you can probably tell).

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2014, 10:43:38 am »
The pack managed to manipulate Mercy before; could they have done the same to Adam?  Or... is there another factor?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »
I wonder how far Christy could of pushed Adam without Mercy there to remove her makeup case from the bathroom, and use blue hair dye to retaliate. If Christy would of said she had nightmares of the boogeyman would he of gone so far as to let her sleep at the foot of their bed? I get him having old fashion values, but I didn't really see where he drew the line. Mercy can take care of herself she's proven that, but it's still nice having people back your play or even speak up on your behalf even if you can do a good job of that on your own. Even Jesse spoke up some of the time, knowing this about Mercy and she isn't pack or Alpha.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:31:13 pm by Kristenann »

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:32 pm »
I still think we're all trying to apply our miscellaneous and varied human values to werewolves which just aren't going to fit.  Some of this is also covered quite well by the convo btw Mercy and Adam after the lasagna dinner where the pack quite nicely pushed back at Christy by continuing to discuss the dead bodies at dinner, even though Auriele didn't like it, Darryl stopped her, and the others took Mercy's side by continuing the discussion, and I got the impression that Adam was quite implicitly if not explicitly pleased by that. 

Again, we may not see it as Adam sticking up enough for Mercy, but he said long ago in a much earlier book that he only uses his authority and pack magic very sparingly as it fades much too soon and then problems fester behind the scenes.  We aren't privy to all the reasons and decisions made by everyone.  A hammer is a very useful tool, and hand grenades can be a great weapons, but both can leave a lot of damage behind, and the pack doesn't need more damage.  As a management tool, brute strength and an overly domineering boss can demand things change, but the changes are usually only superficial, and until people choose to open their eyes the asset they have in Mercy who really cares about Adam, the pack as a whole and the members as individuals, brute force is only going to be a band-aid on an artery. 

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:10 pm »
I'm sorry, but as I see this book, Adam isn't even handling his pack (Mary Jo and Aureille went way beyond acceptable behavior with Mercy throughout this story- can you picture what Bran would do to either one of them if they gave a a tenth the attitude they give to Mercy to his mate, Leah),  I don't see how Adam could possibly be considered Marrock material. 
The way I see it - and realize that I don't think that Bran is grooming Adam to take over so much as Adam would be the most reasonable next choice and Bran is aware of that - Adam is (as werewolves go) the "Young, progressive" alpha.  Bran, for all he likes to seem young and all that, is as old-school as they come.  They have very different leadership styles. 

When it comes to the pack's treatment of Mercy, I think he's leaving it up to her to either lay down the law or ask him for some back-up, especially when it comes to the female pack members.  Mary Jo and Aurielle might overstep their bounds in this book, but remember that MERCY is perfectly capable of putting them in their place, either with subterfuge or by drawing on Adam's power, and despite how they might feel about that fact, Mary Jo and Aurielle both know that Mercy outranks them. 
I'm not saying Adam shouldn't have acted differently in this book.  He could have been a LOT more assertive and cut through some of the internal troubles that Christy stirred up.  However, Mercy's capable as well.  And she didn't take the initiative, either.

I need to do a re-read and pay more attention to any small details we get about Adam's frame of mind.  He was in a bad place for a while after Christy left.  Sure, he didn't love her and he knows her leaving was for the best, and he's dealt with the loss and is much happier with his life with Mercy and so on and so forth...
And having Christy back in his personal space, around the pack, manipulating everyone and trying to upset his mate has to really seriously mess with his head.  I feel really sorry for Adam in this book. 

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:00 am »
[The way I see it - and realize that I don't think that Bran is grooming Adam to take over so much as Adam would be the most reasonable next choice and Bran is aware of that - Adam is (as werewolves go) the "Young, progressive" alpha.  Bran, for all he likes to seem young and all that, is as old-school as they come.  They have very different leadership styles. 

We haven't really seen any other Alphas (with the exception of Angus from the Emerald pack) to really know who else might be qualified to become Marrock should something happen to Bran.  I thought that Angus had a well run pack that even had some diversity to it since Moira was a white witch and mate to Tom his second.  Having said that, this discussion while very interesting to me, doesn't really seem to have a lot to do with this book so moving back to that topic....

I don't really think we are applying human values onto werewoves since Christy is the one instigating most of the problems.  While I agree that we don't know the dynamic between the wolf and human for Aurielle or Mary Jo, it appeared to me that it was the human's attitude toward Christy and Mercy that was driving their behaviors.  They like Christy and they don't like Mercy.  Christy was using that attitude and her history with them to further her standing in the situation.  Adam didn't have to react as Alpha to correct the situation.  He just needed to act like a loving husband and step in when things were going south.  But he didn't do that at any point.  Sure when they were alone he'd be supportive but that isn't the same thing as when they were with the group. 

Think of it like parents with kids that are misbehaving.  If the parents don't work together to keep the family steady, things fall apart.  Adam is not backing Mercy up so the family (the pack) is not functioning properly.  He doesn't need to use Alpha mojo to make that stop he just needs to open his mouth and express support for his wife.

ksr17

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:56 am »
Loved this book!!!
So much new information and so many more avenues for speculation!

I haven't seen this point addressed yet, and I apologize if I am overlooking it...

How is it possible for Mercy to bring someone into the pack?
Not only is she not Alpha, she is not a Werewolf!

I feel that this is of great significance.
Change is mentioned repeatedly in this book.
I believe Mercy represents Change, more so than even Coyote.
How about this change...a non-werewolf, non-male Alpha or even Marrock?!

And who, other than Mercy, would be a better Uniter between the worlds of Weres, Fae, Vampires, Ghosts, Walkers & humans?

gingerwood

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:23 am »

I still don't know how Mercy found time to chase Media around the house, with Adam, and still find blue dye to dump into Christie's shampoo.

I assumed that after the makeup incident, Mercy got the supplies she would need to pull any number of pranks.  It's entirely possible that she had something mixed up and ready to go, and had only to swap out the bottle.