Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 97363 times)

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 02:06:09 am »
Ahh, I missed that one. Gee, I guess I'll have to re-read it. Horrors! :-whistle
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

YuleRule

• Tinker
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2014, 07:00:35 am »
I think it's quite interesting that Ariana says that she is much weaker than she used to be, while Zee and Tad are so powerful. (Does anybody know whether Ariana has panic attacks near Mercy, as she's also a canid.)

As for Mercy and Coyote: My understanding is that Coyote IS Mercy's father, and she's aware of that, but that she denies it, because it hurts her that he, in essence, abandoned her. However, the more they interact, the more she can come to terms with that.

I thought it really interesting that Gary mentioned
Fingerprints?” I said. “DNA? Facial-recognition software? Hard to lose yourself in this day and age.” That had been the main reason that the werewolves had finally come out to the public.
He raised an eyebrow. “You mean you don’t know how to fix those?” Then he shrugged, gestured with his chin toward Coyote. “He taught me a trick or two. He can teach you, too. Gary Laughingdog is no more. I’ll pick a different name and be someone else.”

So not only will Mercy have a long life, but she can learn to have more tricks up her sleeve.

Also, I think that it's getting a bit repetative that at the end of every book, for the last couple of books, that she gets seriously injured. I hope that in the next book, there won't be such obvious monsters, but rather exploring the relations between, fae, werewolves, and CANTRIP.

As for the walking stick, it sems that while it may still be bloodthirsty, Coyote has taught it to hide that, so perhaps it will be discriminatingly bloodthirsty? And I don't think it's leaving Mercy again. Also, I think it may be useful, as Mercy says of the other  walking sticks "One of them helps you find your way home, and the third allows you to see people as they really are.” and considering that Coyote basically admits to teaching it to ape the others, it should be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:02:20 am by YuleRule »
Please Check These Out!

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
The walking stick really likes Mercy.  I think that maybe the reason that it keeps on coming back to her is because it sees all of the adventures that she has in her life and just cannot stay away.  Or maybe....just maybe....the walking stick will help the pack realize what a manipulative person Christy really is?  Just a thought.

You know....that quote about changing your face and DNA.....I wonder Gary could help teach Mercy how to do that....and if she could do that on other people beside just herself?  If the government starts trying to cause problems with the werewolves, can they just disappear and become new people?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 08:44:16 pm »
It took me the second read through to figure out why the title is Night Broken. 9)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
 LOL :D

YuleRule

• Tinker
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »
I'm thinking about it...and not getting it. Why is the title Night Broken?
Please Check These Out!

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »
Page 93 When Mercy and Honey go to visit Gary Laughingdog in prison and he has his vision about Guayota he says  "His children howl his name and hunger for blood until the night is broken with their cries".

~~spoiler bars added at member request. :)
Patti L.,
Busymoddy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:56:06 pm by Patti L. »

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 05:05:09 pm »
I'm glad Mercy still has a bond with Stefan it seems to be the main reason he hasn't completely gone back to the seethe. He's much better off staying bonded to someone who cares about him, than going back to Marsila. Wulfe is creepy to the extreme, but I found him really interesting, I enjoyed both his and Stefan's part in the book. I'm glad Tad's back and working with Mercy in the garage again, I miss Zee's presence though. My favorite parts in the book were when Mercy finally told off Christy, and Gary's story about how he ended up in jail was hilarious, along with the prank Mercy played on Leah coming to light. I wonder what Bran thought when he heard about the whole mess concerning the volcano god, and what he'd do if the Cantrip agents had gotten ahold of Mercy?

I didn't really understand Adam in the book, I liked his character in all the previous books much better, he made me pretty mad at him certain times throughout Night Broken. I mean why did Christy keep answering his phone? Adam had to know Mercy wouldn't like it, and in fact she doesn't when she finds out, but she never asks him about it. When Mercy calls Adam and Christy answers and he finds out she told Mercy he was unavailable to talk to his own wife he continues to let Christy answer his phone. Than there's the deal where Mercy's in danger and calls Adam and Christy decides to delay and play games, where was he? Mercy loses enough weight I think Tad mentions her bones are starting to show, and only after she tells Adam she's going to stop and pick up food on the way home does he tell her he's noticed she hasn't been eating, so he must of noticed she's been losing weight. Adam tells Mercy if she needs a night off she can stay the night at Kyle's, which would leave him with his ex while Mercy is his wife and mate. He defends Christy and says just because Mercy may think she's to blame doesn't mean she is and he's hurt instead of angry when he finds out Christy put the pack in danger by not warning them she knew her stalker wasn't human. I also can't help but think if Adam would have flat out told Christy he would never get back together with her or leave Mercy, instead of saying Thank You when Christy inappropriately told Adam she loved him, maybe she wouldn't of had so much hope in them reuniting. He lets Christy have the peach room because the blue one makes her sad? Christy's makeup in the bathroom upsets Mercy yet he allows her to use it again when Mercy found her shampoo. The tender looks and laughing with his ex wife going down memory lane, while Mercy sits left out. And Christy lived around the wolves when they were married yet she wanted Adam to take off work and stay with her because she felt uncomfortable when he wasn't there, especially when she considers him a monster too. The biggest thing was when Mercy almost died saving everyone again and Christy comes to tell her she wished she died and throws a fit about her blue hair, while Mercy laid in a hospital bed. All Adam had to say when Mercy told him was that she isn't Christy favorite person. Mercy, and Adam both agree Christy's a good person, but nothing we've learned about her seems that way, a good person wouldn't do the things she has or sleep with their friends boyfriend (husband) just to prove they can.

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »
You know Kristenann...I think I agree with you about all of that regarding Christy.  Why in the world didn't Adam stand up to her?  Why didn't he notice that Mercy had lost weight when Tad did?  That does kind of make me upset.  I know Mercy can handle herself....but come on.  She is still a woman.  Maybe in the next book, we need to see Mercy getting Adam since he really didn't stand up for her at all! Although....in Adams defense, he does have to get along with her because she is Jessie's mother.

Once of the things that I wish was a little bit different though and I have kind of been imagining it....was when Mercy finally said something to Christy.  I really kind of wish that Mercy would've voiced her viewpoint on the werewolves.  None of them really know how she feels about them I don't think.  She has stated that she thinks highly of Darryl, she thinks that Honey is beautiful, she likes Ben even though he can be rude......I don't know....just her viewpoint on werewolves in general.  I guess I can wait until the next book to see if Patty kicks Christy out the door if she is still around?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
I may be talking through my hat here, but I wonder if maybe Christie is a bit - oh, what is the term? I don't want to say sociopathic, but I think that's the idea.  She believes her view of things, so the wolves don't smell lies on her. It's like a self-centered version of an Omega or something.  And even werewolves tend to fall for the "beautiful is good" fallacy.  Christie is more beautiful than Mercy, and she didn't bring (even though it started in werewolf politics) trouble that was painful and potentially deadly to the pack.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:11 pm »
To be truly sociopathic she would not care what people thought of her. When Mercy caught her lying in front of the werewolves it was due to her vanity in how she looked to them. So, I'd put her in the tendencies area and more self-centered than truly sociopathic. But your observations are in the right area.  :)

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:28 am »
I agree with you, Kristenann.  I was very disappointed in Adam.  I get that Christy is the mother of his child so that makes her an important person in his life but his respect for that relationship should not equate to his turning his back on his mate.  Adam absolutely did that by not supporting Mercy in front of Christy and the pack and by allowing Christy to continue her machinations in his house...taking his cell phones, putting her make up and shampoo in the master bath, changing her bedrooms, manipulating table conversation.  Somewhere along the way Adam should acted like an alpha (because his mate should be the most important person and the one that he is most protective of) and said STOP OR LEAVE (IMO).   I can't imagine if Charles was in a similar situation that he would ever allow Anna to be as disrespected and abused as Adam allowed to happen to Mercy.  Adam should take a page from Charles' book.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 07:52:00 am »
Yes Adam and Christy's behavior was similar to me, as that if she was still his wife (except for being physically intimate). It seemed his response to her behavior only encouraged her more and gave her more hope that if he would of flat out said something to deter her. He didn't seem to take Mercy's feelings about the whole situation under a lot of consideration, if anything he seemed to find her frustration with Christy amusing, like when Mercy saw the flowers Christy put in Adam's mothers vase and got grumpy about it. He told Mercy he'd have her back, but that only seemed to be the case when she's fighting monsters, unlike all the times he had her back in the previous books. I also think Mary Jo had some nerve making nasty comments to Mercy like she did, considering her actions in the previous book nearly got Adam killed, I think her fight against Paul got her off light. And since Mary Jo "loves" it surprised me a little how she rather of had Christy and Adam back together then him stay with Mercy especially with how Christy blamed Adam for things out of his control. I don't think I'd be friends with someone who thought I was a monster, and tried to make someone I loved feel guilty and bad about themselves. I get that Adam wants to keep the peace with Christy (even when his response to her was more than that) and cares about her since he was married to her for so long and has a daughter with her, but I'd never respect someone who treated my child, abandoned and neglected them in the way Christy did with Jesse. It got to the point Mercy didn't even want to go home or wanted to go home late to avoid talking to Christy, and that's her house, and home. And why would Adam say she could stay the night at Kyle's house? He had to know the impression that would of gave the pack and Christy? More ammunition against Mercy that there was weakness in their marriage. I loved the book but I don't understand anything that could justify Adam in this case, or why Mercy didn't confront him on any of it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 08:28:21 am »
Taking your last point first, Kristenann - and I'm enjoying the conversation! - Why Mercy didn't confront him on it goes to what was happening at the beginning of the book.  Washing dishes that could perfectly well have gone in the mechanical dish washer.  To avoid conflict with Aurielle, Mercy just washed them, right?  To avoid yet more division in the pack, she didn't confront Adam, who she felt was under enough stress himself. 

With regard to Adam's treatment of Christie, part of it is habit.  Werewolves are very fond of habit, not fans of change.  They had what, twenty years together?  Or about 15 together & 5 divorced?  That's two decades of her treating him the way she did, and his (because HE feels he's a monster too, remember) meekly accepting it, so it's nearly as ingrained in his habits as opening doors for women.  Further, he's a dominant werewolf, he protects those he claims, and even if she was never his mate, Christie was his wife, and mother of his child.  He's going to continue to expect to protect her, even from her own actions and behaviors.  After all, he heals better than she does, doesn't he?  -- that last is sarcasm.  Hurts to the soul, like Christie spreads around, hurt as much or more for someone almost physically immortal, I betcha.  We could ask Ben or Zack...

I wonder if part of his 'laxness' in pulling Christie up had to do with the fact that he's a fair psychologist himself; she's scared, she's not in what is currently her home, she's gone to the man she divorced for help, much against her wishes, and she's now a guest in a home she built.  She needs some of these comforts to keep her more mentally/emotionally stable.

Mind you, I'm a little shocked at how he let Mercy lose condition (she's surely losing muscle, she doesn't have fat, right?) with the not eating thing, but give him credit for believing Mercy knows better than to let it go too far, and to make her own decision to stand up to the Christie steamroller.  She could perfectly well say "well, I'm not in the mood for (gourmet dish of the day), I'm going to scramble myself some eggs.  You sit and enjoy what you've already cooked, Christie.  I do know where the eggs and frying pans are."  She also doesn't eat lunch at the house; she could go to the taco truck or other place near the garage for something on the way in, or during her lunch, just like she brought the bag of sandwiches for Mac in "Moon Called", right?  She's doing a bit of martyrdom of her own, here.

On the cell phone... Why is it where Christie is picking it up, instead of in Adam's pocket or clipped to his belt?  I'm actually with you pretty solidly on that one; Christie needed to be smacked down hard there.  Of course, as of the final call, she got that, didn't she?  >D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:15:38 am by Patti L. »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:23 am »
Patti L. I like your observation on the situation, those are a few things I haven't considered. I also wonder about the conversation Adam and Mercy had before Christy arrived when Mercy told him she was more worried about Christy than Beauclaire, and Adam tells her that he is too, and not to believe everything Christy says, and don't leave without talking to him first? Any ideas about what he was thinking? Maybe that Christy would tell Mercy something that she thought would make Mercy leave even if it wasn't strictly true?As far as protection Christy goes, she might have been the one the volcano god was after, but Mercy was the one kept ending up in his line of fire. Maybe Mercy should get rid of anything in the house that used to be Christy's and completely redecorate making the house more hers and less reminders of Christy and Adams time together. That is if she ever gets the time away from taking on all the bad guys and saving lives. I wonder if the pack has ever considered or is even thankful that Mercy has saved them and even the world once, since she's suppose to be a coyote so much weaker than the big bad wolf.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:02:50 am by Kristenann »