Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 97237 times)

Kristenann

• Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2014, 10:25:06 pm »
In an interview I read with Patricia Briggs over Night Broken, Patty lists a few of Mercy's strongest female relationships; Her mom, Marisilia, Leah, Honey, Mary Jo, Auriele, and she says that some of them will become good friends and others will be enemies. Now some of these aren't surprising especially after the last book. On the hate Mercy side we've had Marisilia, Leah, Mary Jo, and Christy, also I'm moving Auriele on that side (because I personally think if Christy can influence her relationship with her mate to where it was straining and giving them issues, I have no doubt she can get her BFF Auriele to hate Mercy enough to do a lot of damage), and on the side who likes Mercy out of the ones Patty listed we have Mercy's mom and Honey. So since it has been easy for a few books now to know who Mercy's enemies would be and who could maybe be her friends, I'm taking this to mean either one or a few of those Mercy haters will either move toward the other side of the spectrum, slowly becoming Mercy's friend, then turning out to be a good friend, and some of the ones listed that we know don't like Mercy will openly be her enemy (being proactive about it, though Mary Jo already did that). What do you guys think? And which ones?

She also mentioned the next Mercy book will be the fae reminding people why they are feared. Since I haven't officially read the Alpha and Omega series (because don't the stories collide?), I might be at a disadvantage. Will the fae just openly start attacking people? Or pulling something like a Trojan horse? I remember Mercy asked Zee if they were going to try and rule the world, I just need to go back and since what his response was, whatever it was I don't think it calmed Mercy's worry.

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2014, 02:26:31 pm »
What if Marsilla was one who slowly became a friend? ??? Pretty unlikely, I guess, but... I don't know, it could be funny, seeing the expressions on certain wolves faces if they walked in to find Mercy and Marsilla chatting at the garage or something. For something like that to happen though, Marsilla would have to change her eating habits, and get her whole seethe to follow Stephan's example or something... maybe she'd be willing to do that if it was the only way to get Stephan to rejoin the seethe? Maybe she'd hate Mercy less if Stephan fell under Christy's spell and Mercy helped get Stephan back?
It does seem weird how Christy is able to influence people. Maybe she's descended from a lesser known type of supernatural with that ability? Except neither she or the people around her know it?

With the fae, I suspect they'd go for more covert sneak attacks/trojan horse type stuff, since they're very good at things like glamour, misdirection, lying without exactly lying etc. Some of them are very powerful, and they could go for direct attacks, but they'd be severely outnumbered and facing humans with lots of cold iron weapons if they did so, so I doubt they'd go that route. Only a few fae (like Zee and the gray lords) would be likely to have a chance of surviving something like that.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:18 pm »
Yea but the fae aren't the only supes in the game, for world domination if they wanted to turn humans into slaves, and kill many of them off, I think the vamps would have a problem with them attracting so much attention and cutting into their food supply? Then there are the wolves, I'd think they'd be on the human side of things since a lot of them have family members they care for, and have enough problems with people thinking they're just dangerous monsters who should be put down.

I can't see Mercy ever forgiving Marsilia because of what she did to Stefan, and how her vamp problems got so many humans killed (Andre being hers and her responsibility). Also, it funny how Mercy takes responsibility for all of her actions, and blame for things that aren't her fault and beyond her control, and Christy takes none. I want to know how Adam can "fall" for two completely different woman. Adam loving Christy, and his wolf choosing Mercy makes the most sense, even if Adam agreed with his wolf and the assessment of Mercy. Patty has said that her vamps have souls even though a lot of them think and act like they don't, though Thomas Hao told Mercy good people don't become vamps, Stefan's sheep didn't seem to be horrible. I have no idea why the wolves choose Christy, don't put any blame or responsibility to her (even though this latest mess she brought to their door step), they know she's lying, and doesn't feel guilt, and has a lot of distain for them, yet they ignore all that. No matter what their senses and instincts tell them they continue to be Christy's prey. And Mercy has never got a pat on the back for almost dying, or the number of times she's saved them, bled for them. This grows tiresome. I get the coyote thing, and wolves instinct to kill lesser predators, I get Mercy being able to carry children, and their contempt for that. What I don't get is being irrational and blind (uncaring) of her sacrifices. And Though I was a huge Mercy and Adam fan in all the previous books, this latest development did a number on me. And I saw a side to Adam I didn't really want to see or accept, I didn't like it. And kind, forgiving, understanding Mercy, I want to see her come first, she deserves it. My thoughts are where is the line going to be drawn? To where Mercy says I don't want nor deserve to roll with this punches anymore. It's one thing to love someone, it's another to love and be with them. And no one still wants to see Mercy and Adam together, some of the pack members deliberately mentally attacked her, and her bond with Adam, nearly got him and Ben killed, but because both Mary Jo and Paul got a few bruises, broken bones, all is forgotten? Seems weak. If Henry went to Bran because it was his idea, Paul and Mary Jo should of went to because I don't think they still can be trusted, not after something like that.

I think it would be nice to see Mercy take a break from the pack and their problems, get back to who she was without having to worry about stepping on so many lethal toes. Freedom and a break from living in a glass bowl, no matter how much Adam is worth it. I also wonder how Adam's second is dealing with Christy living with them and Auriele being her best friend, (if they are planning something together, I didn't think his mate would go that route but Christy seems capable of getting people to do anything for her, and she wasn't crying over her boy friend Troy getting killed by the got, the man she went out with as soon as she started ignoring her immortal ex, instead if just telling him it was over).

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2014, 09:53:09 pm »
Well here's a good review on Night Broken, I'm really posting it the comment at the end. It's not a Patty interview per say but the question why Adam married Christy is there, so I'll post that too. I'm sure there is more too it then that, because these reasons seem bad for Adam and Christy to get married, though the person Adam turns in to when he's with her, and the person she is seem right on the dot.

http://ebookobsessed.com/2014/03/night-broken-by-patricia-briggs/

Mike Briggs March 12, 2014 at 3:27 am # 

Dear Lucy,
 Sorry we didn’t manage to get an interview with you — Patty’s publicist does most of the choosing. Patty spent almost a week doing interviews, and that’s all she has time for if she’s going to get the next book written. We’ll clone her as soon as we get a chance. However, I’ll try to answer the two questions you proposed.

Adam was attracted to Christy because she’s the soft, sweet girly-girl who needed protecting. She IS manipulative, and competitive (which were on display in this book), but she’s also the sort of girl who just loves to hang on the arm of a big strong man who makes her feel safe and bat her eyelashes at him.

Adam is a good man, but with a bit of a paladin complex. Most guys like being able to rescue a woman now and again. Feeling like a hero is a good thing (particularly if you have a deeply buried sense of self loathing). She needed a hero, and a bank account, and he was happy enough to oblige.

But Adam’s wolf never accepted Christy. She married Adam, and they even had Jessie (so obviously, in a physical sense, they were mated). That that was only only Adam the man, the wolf never accepted her, and she was never officially made part of the Pack. She was just the Alpha’s wife (and a darn fine cook). The pack liked her, but she wasn’t bound to Adam’s wolf by the mating bond, or to the pack bonds.

Thanks for the great comments!

All Best,
 Mike

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #229 on: December 24, 2014, 03:34:55 pm »
Thank you for linking to that. That was more or less my impression, but it's nice to have conformation on occasion.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #230 on: December 24, 2014, 06:10:34 pm »
Your very welcome! I've been looking everywhere, through all the Q&A's, and interviews to see if any of the questions I've had and am curious about ( by that I mean nearly obsessed in knowing/finding out), have been answered or commented on somewhere else. But that was the only one that even came close to one of the things I was interested in. I don't think I know this Adam, the one that was with and chose Christy oppose to the one I've known since Moon Called. It just seems so superficial and hollow. Although that answer makes sense to Adam sort of reverting to the husband he was with Christy when she came back in the picture. Christy and Mercy couldn't be more complete opposites, Adam has mentioned he's thankful for that and I know he has compared the two before, but isn't there a small part of him that wishes she wasn't? Or that likes a few of Christy's characteristics (other than cooking) more? Does he miss it at all? I'm going to say for the sake of the Mercy and Adam undying perfect true love they would do anything for each other relationship. No. Yet it doesn't feel like the right answer to me. A part of Adam still is under Christy's thrall and the moment she appears over the scene, Mercy takes her hits all the way down the line.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:19:38 pm by Kristenann »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
 Anne Sowards ‏@AnneSowards 2 hours ago

Also out today: NIGHT BROKEN by Patricia Briggs, in ppbk. Hint: price drop! Latest in Mercy Thompson series. http://www.penguin.com/book/night-broken-by-patricia-briggs/9780425256275
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2015, 11:27:17 pm »
Mercy... What have you done?

Diane Duane retweeted
NASA ‏@NASA 13 hours ago
The Canary Islands are seen kicking up von Kármán vortices off the Atlantic coast of Africa: http://go.nasa.gov/1AUa57n 

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:11 am »
He just finally woke up from the nap she induced. :D

Kristenann

• Mechanic
Questions about Night Broken
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:21 am »
First I want to say that I love the Mercy series, since book 1 the characters and story were interesting and compelling. I have some questions concerning the latest book in the series Night Broken, because there are a lot of things I was unsure about and I’m not sure if I’m reading it right, adding in my own biased perspective.

First since Christy appeared on the scene, it seemed like she had taken over the role as Adam’s wife, as the story dragged on it almost appeared like Mercy was just the stand –in wife until Christy decided to come back. I understand that Adam is an old fashioned man, and how easy it was to fall back into the role he was accustomed to when Christy lived there, even though Mercy is his mate. Christy took the room next door, and had Adam stay home from work because she felt more comfortable with him around even though she calls him a monster. Christy had Adam’s phone which nearly got Mercy killed at one point when she refused to pass it on to him when Mercy was in trouble and called, was Adam there when this happened and he allowed Christy to answer his calls and just didn’t want to be rude and take the phone from her? Adam asked Mercy at one point why she just didn’t leave a message for Christy (like Christy would really pass it on to him), and Honey asked him if he was asking his wife to leave a message? Christy took over the household why Mercy was treated like dirt at some points, like she was almost expected just to put up with it. Adam shared tender and sentiment looks with Christy when they were sharing stories of their past, though it made Mercy uncomfortable, though I understand they had a past together and it’s expected they would talk of the good times they shared. Mercy lost weight and was upset, at first I thought it odd Adam didn’t seem to notice, except when Mercy mentioned stopping to pick up food and Adam mentioned she should eat that she has lost weight, he even offered her to go stay at Kyle’s house. Did Adam really just ask his wife and mate if she wanted to stay at a friend’s house instead of what is supposed to be her home with her husband? Like “if it upsets you so much you can stay elsewhere”. Then when Christy was tearing Adam down in front of the pack and Mercy stuck up for him, he tells her “as long as she understands none of this was Christy’s fault”, but that wasn’t strictly true. Also it was obvious when Christy was tearing him down a lot of the things she said applied to the pack and other werewolves, Honey was even upset, he lets her say that about him, but he also let her upset his pack family when he should have been protecting them?

Christy looked Mercy in the face and commented how Adam would of never left her (which is probably true), and told Adam she loved him. His response to Christy was “thank you”, and it was specific so with Christy’s ego she could have taken it as a hopeful sign that he thanked her for still loving him. I just found it rude with Mercy standing right there. Christy starting trouble in the pack and having them go after Mercy for it, and Adam just says “that’s our Christy” like Mercy needed more trouble and Christy’s actions were okay. When Mercy was in the hospital Christy tells her she wished she would have died, I didn’t find that at all amusing and acceptable, though Adam said she was told not to come back. Also Adam is alpha so very protective, especially with his daughter Jesse, but sometimes a parent’s duty is to protect their child from the other parent when their actions are deemed harmful to the child. Jesse being left alone and abandon by her mother so many times, and when she was 12 one of her mother’s boyfriends slipping into her bed is a big deal. I doubt Christy called the police on this man so he could of done in to another child later on, and though Jesse wasn’t physically harmed that doesn’t mean something couldn’t of happened. Mercy has also wondered how many times Jesse has walked in on her mother with men, like her mother just told her to go back to her room. Adam might have said something to Christy about these events, but they kept happening whenever she was with her mother.

Adam also still pays for Christy, while Mercy pays her own bills. I know how he keeps taking care of her and Mercy wants to support herself financially, but now that he’s remarried it seems odd. And how Adam has married someone the complete opposite of his first wife who was 18 when they got together, sort of makes me question if it was Adam’s wolf that wanted Mercy first and gave him that push, though Adam the man might of found a woman like Christy more to his taste. Like Adam the man loves both of them equally and it’s only his wolf that tips the scale? I’m probably reading too much into this.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
Lots of us - as you see by the previous 15 pages of the thread - are asking the same things. 
We're hoping the next volume will answer some of this. 
Personally, I'm wondering if Christy, like Phin Brewer the bookstore guy, has some fae blood way back that comes out this strange way in her.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2015, 12:37:16 pm »
Yea, I was hoping PB might be able to answer some of these, if they aren't too spoilery or planned to be settled in future books. There was nothing mentioned in the scene that came from Adam's pov, or from the short that took place after Night Broken, like the matter was already settled. Or that none of the things I mentioned are an issue at all, but they still really bother me.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:20 pm »
Well, she doesn't plot far enough ahead (as we're frequently told, she's a 'pantser') to have originally had long range plans for this line.  It's possible that she's got something simmering in the back of her mind, but she doesn't tend to answer this kind of general "what were you thinking?" question, as far as I can see.

If you put it less as "all this is confusing and dramatically unsatisfying" and more "What caused ____?" or "Do you have a plan for how Christie's walking all over Mercy?" you might get an answer, but check the date of the last time she came in and ran up answers to any of the things in the "Ask Patty" section. 
Most of the answers there for about the past... two years?... are things mods snipped out of interviews and pasted in where we saw her answering these things.

L8girl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:22 am »
I just spent the last hour (yay, I'm off today!) reading everyone's posts on Night Broken, with all of your inferences about Mercy, Adam, Christy and the pack.  It's awesome how much a series and the characters in those books have become such a part of everyone's existence!  My circle of friends and family don't understand how I can be so immersed in a book that I talk about these characters as if they were real people! 

L8girl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2015, 02:13:44 pm »
Oh, wow, I just saw my post, and only the one paragraph showed up!