Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 97236 times)

Kristenann

• Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #210 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:12 pm »
Even if it was of her own free will, and Christy did get involved with some more unsavory/evil types, I think Adam would still put a claim on her. I think he would still do everything he can to protect her, and by default Mercy would be sticking her neck out too. No one will probably agree with me, but I think Adam still loves Christy and thinks in a lot of ways she might still be his, sort of in the wife sense. At least now that her coming back would invoke some of those very familiar feelings.

Random thought, but I keep thinking of that scene in one of the batman movies when the joker or two face drops both Robin and Batman's woman down a hole, and he's suppose to choose which one to save. If Adam were ever in that situation I assume he'd go for Mercy but I think there might be some definite hesitation. I don't know if I hope Christy never shows up again, or if I want her to be a bad guy, the kind they can no longer make excuses for, and see her for the person she truly is. Taking off the rose tinted glasses so to speak and judge someone for their actions not just their words or tears.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:36:56 pm by Kristenann »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #211 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:38 pm »
He does think of her as his, I suppose, like Ben in "Redemption".
As far as the who to save, he might save Christie under the "Mercy's apt to save herself, she usually does" thing.
 >D
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #212 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »
Your right he'd probably save Christy, Mercy has saved herself before, but I think she has a longer history of sacrificing herself for others, even when she isn't sure of the outcome, or is sure and think's she won't survive it. Maybe Adam would assume that would be what Mercy wanted him to do, that and there isn't anything he wouldn't do for Jesse, and Christy's the one that gave birth to her, Mercy's more like a really good friend.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:25:29 pm by Kristenann »

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #213 on: October 30, 2014, 08:22:53 am »
I think it would probably depend on the situation, and how close to the surface Adam's wolf was.

If it was really dangerous, he'd probably go for Mercy, but if he thought it was something she could get herself out of, he'd go for Christy, since she's so much more helpless.
And I think that if the wolf was close to the surface, he'd go for Mercy regardless of anything else, since Mercy is his mate, Christy is not, and the wolf didn't seem to want to claim her even though Adam was married to Christy for years anyway.

I wonder if Adam's wolf is better at seeing through Christy than Adam is? If so, maybe that's why he didn't claim her?

As an example of the wolf seeing through a situation more clearly than Adam, in Frost Burned, when Mercy was caught by the magic from those bone wrist cuffs, pg 198, Adam thinks 'His beast had noticed immediately and become frantic, but Adam hadn't wanted to see anything wrong.' And there's that bit earlier, when Adam's captured and drugged, when the wolf tells Mercy (pg 41; 'My eyes see, but Adam doesn't percieve'.)

So, anyway, with the wolf able to see some things more clearly than Adam, the fact that he didn't claim Christy as his mate and the whole being more present orientated, rather than getting bogged down in the past (the present being where Christy is only the mother of his child, not even Adam's wife anymore, and where Mercy is his mate), means that I think if the wolf was  close to the surface and both Christy and Mercy were in danger, then Adam would pretty much ignore Christy's issues until Mercy was safe.
I think if Adam was more in control, then it would depend on the severity of the danger, and whether he thought it was something Mercy could handle or not.

I wonder if maybe the wolf got closer to the surface when he heard Mercy on the phone, (when she was trapped in the garage in Night Broken,) and if perhaps that's why Adam was able to get past Christy's weird manipulations and actually yell at her/tell her off about it, which Honey said he'd never done before?

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #214 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:34 am »
Itsy-Cat that's sort of what I was talking before in a previous post. When I mentioned that Mercy and Christy are two completely different people, I know what Adam sees in Mercy and why he loves her but I haven't seen anything noteworthy with Christy, even at 18 I sort of picture her the same person, only more innocent in the way she wants to marry a man whose very attractive, has money, power, and does whatever she tells him to. I also would like to know how long Christy was on the phone with Mercy until Adam finally decided it was time to take it away. If he had a seconds hesitation of whether to continue hearing Mercy's panic and fear, in order to not make Christy upset with him while Christy started to get rude and nasty with Mercy. Also Honey mentioned after that call Adam snapped at her, personally I think that was the least he could do since Mercy's life was greatly at risk, she would of died, but then the topic was over and not brought up again, how long did he take yelling at her before he was out the door?

I think Adam's wolf is really the one that chose Mercy and gave Adam a push to start a relationship with her. I'm not saying Adam's human side doesn't love or care about her, I just don't think it's as much. It makes me think that Adam side would take Christy back if Mercy wasn't already his mate, and if he didn't have so much honor to keep his word to her. When Mercy first joined the pack and created that bond Bran came down to check on Mercy (because of the rape) and he told her there was a way to break pack ties, I don't know if that was added into it because the readers thought it was a question some of the pack would call to ask so he was answering, or if there was another reason for it that we'll see down the road, kind of foreshadowing, Mercy is getting used to the bonds now but she did have the hesitation with Bran that she'd like to know just not yet, (gut check/ instinct). Mercy in a conversation with Coyote said coyotes don't mate for like, he said old Joe Coyote would of with her mom, I wonder if there was a reason for that part of the conversation to at some point, it wasn't exactly needed for the conversation they were having.

I can't wait until the next Mercy book is out so we know at least what it's going to be about, and if those hints were dropped. I don't make Mercy rocking the boat with Adam, him and the pack deserve some grief from her.

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30:13 am »
I also would like to know how long Christy was on the phone with Mercy until Adam finally decided it was time to take it away. If he had a seconds hesitation of whether to continue hearing Mercy's panic and fear, in order to not make Christy upset with him while Christy started to get rude and nasty with Mercy. Also Honey mentioned after that call Adam snapped at her, personally I think that was the least he could do since Mercy's life was greatly at risk, she would of died, but then the topic was over and not brought up again, how long did he take yelling at her before he was out the door?

Yeah, so maybe Adam's wolf heard Mercy's panic on the phone, got upset about it and pushed closer to the surface, and then there's the snatching the phone from Christy and snapping at her, because the wolf really doesn't care about upsetting Christy when Mercy is in danger, whereas Adam on his own probably would have been... milder? about it?
Either way, he probably didn't yell at Christy for long, since he needed to leave the house and go help Mercy as fast as possible. Maybe that's why snapping at her was all he did too; the wolf just wanting to get Christy out of the way so he can go to his mate, not having time to waste etc?
As for why the topic wasn't picked up on before... I guess sometimes people miss certain points/topics and maybe other times it's just no one really disagrees with it or has anything further they want to add?

With the thing about Bran offering to tell Mercy how to break the pack ties, I'd guess that the reason behind that was more because Bran raised Mercy (as much as her foster parents did, she said at some point, though I don't remember where), and Bran is also very good at reading/understanding people.
For a while, as she was getting used to the pack ties, Mercy was really uncomfortable about it, so maybe Bran, knowing what Mercy is like, knew she might feel uncomfortable about it and so was letting her know that, if it was too uncomfortable, she could ask about how to break the pack bonds and Bran would show her, so she wouldn't have to feel trapped as part of the pack if she didn't want to be?
Maybe that's another reason Bran never considered bringing Mercy into his pack when she was in Aspen Creek; not only that they didn't know it was possible, but that maybe Bran knew she'd feel uncomfortable with the pack ties?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:32:37 am by Itsy-Cat »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2014, 12:10:58 pm »
What Bran knows and understands is often mysterious. :)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2014, 02:04:19 pm »
Either way, he'll probably claim credit for it. LOL

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2014, 05:08:48 pm »
I was just so disappointed with the whole Adam and Christy thing during Night Broken, I was actually wishing Mercy might leave at least to clear her head and think through some of his actions about what they really mean as far as his feelings for Christy and her are concerned how upset she was throughout the book because of them and still willing to risk herself, and not question him. Maybe that's why I was hoping that breaking pack ties would be brought up again. I really want Mercy to come first for not only Adam's wolf but for Adam the man himself and that just didn't seem to be the case.

Nille

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2014, 09:22:05 am »
I think Adam didn't stop Christy enough from playing with Mercy. He basically abadonned her except for then she was at the phone calling for help. I WAS SO DISSAPOINTED IN ADAM FOR NOT MAKING IT EASIER ON MERCY  >:(
[/url]

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:24 am »
Yea well if Mercy had a big enough problem with it, she could always go stay at Kyle's house....

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:15 am »
She could also invite Adam out to coffee, or a run, or dinner, or somewhere they won't be overheard by whatever pack members are in the house, and make plain to him how she feels, including the "I can't smack her down at the house without weakening your position, and we had enough of that when you'd claimed me as your mate WITHOUT TELLING ME, thank you very much, before I accepted you.  You need to step up.  Stop falling into the old pattern." 
Mercy didn't HAVE to be passive aggressive about it.  Werewolves like things to be the same, comfortable, familiar.  Christy was his wife for what, 20 years?  That's a lot of inertia to overcome, especially with the pack bonds pressuring him about it.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »
Right Mercy wasn't her usual self in this book, she seemed to shrug a lot off and take her licks. In the Hollows short when Adam seemed to steady/calm himself and accept that Mercy was dead or not going to make it, I hope it didn't have anything to do with Christy being back and a part of him taking comfort in that, that he wasn't going to be alone. Put it that way Mercy seemed more of a victim in this book, I was she would stop taking the blame for things that aren't her fault, or at least get some recognition for the things she has done, and the person she is, but other than a few pack members she doesn't and maybe she never will.

Does anyone thing belonging to the pack has somehow made Mercy less of the person she is or use to be? She was always pretty careful about how she acted with there werewolves and the things she said in front of them, sharing Adam's power and authority didn't do anything for her in Night Broken, you would think she had to restrain herself less. She seemed to walk on egg shells, and since it was her husband, pack, house she shouldn't of had to do that, but she was always so careful of other pack members thoughts and feelings and how they could/would interpret it and go on the offensive with Mercy that she couldn't react like she normally would, being the Alphas mate you'd think she'd be able to tell them "this is what I say or how it is" not that exactly maybe but something along those lines.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »
Read it again.  Mercy's thoughts clearly run along the lines of "I could demand this or that regarding Christie, and make it stick, BUT"
And they're big butts.
But it's going to be resented immediately by everyone involved.
But the emotional whammy from C means it's going to be resented long term, even if it's proved C was being manipulative and generally in the wrong.
But if she forces the pack to do a lot of stuff about C that makes them unhappy, they'll do it in the most miserable way they can, making it as slow and as horrible for Mercy as they can, and it's going to affect how they react to future orders from both her & Adam.

Kristenann

• Mechanic
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
I know Mercy always reigned it in, and I know she had some pretty good reasons for doing so. My point is that she really shouldn't of had to, being the Alphas mate and all,, part of the pack, everything she has done for them etc. The fact that Christy has so much power over them, when she even lies and they can tell she is lying they still don't call her out on I and a lot of them still take her side, even though she clearly doesn't think much about them, and calls them monsters. She even got between Daryl and his mate, and they seemed to have such a close relationship. And Adam doesn't really seem to have a problem with it, when Daryl went off on Mercy because Christy again manipulated a situation Adam is just like "that's our Christy" all tender and caring, like it was a cute thing to do which is the opposite of what it was, and normally if one of his wolves came at Mercy in that way he would of made them back down but because it was Christy vs Mercy more then anything, he said nothing. How much longer should Mercy keep biting her tongue to try and please everyone else, which clearly is still not working. I liked Mercy more when she was her own women, even before Christy made her appearance when she called Daryl's mate when on te offensive with Mercy and got aggressive when Mercy never said anything against Christy the fact that she was coming to stay with them, or that Adam was again paying her fees and offering more money.

Mercy doesn't want Adam's money she's trying to keep that part of her dependence, but the fact that he's so financially tied to Christy even when she left him and he remarried is odd.

Maybe Christy has some witch blood or made a demon deal? Or a deal with some powerful being so Mercy or the wolves wouldn't sense it, for her to have that kind of power. Even though she isn't super strong or fast, being able to influence people to do whatever she wants and come to her aid, and shake the ties between mates is a good gift to have. It's more then Mary Jo, Paul, and Henry were able to do, and they accomplished some damage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:02:49 pm by Kristenann »