Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 91589 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:18 pm »
Gah, spoiler bars are making it hard for me to keep people's comments straight. 

But first I have to say that I, too, have every intention of using "Don't juggle porcupines!" as a parting remark. 

Loved Tad in this one, and glad we got to see a little Sam, Ari, Stephan, and Tony, but I could have done with more of them.  I mean, I like Gary Laughingdog, but I guess my preference for old friends and suspicion of new acquaintances however awesome they may be, is reflected in which characters I want to have around.  But I liked when Samuel claimed Adam as a brother-in-law.  And speaking of Cornick men, I love getting little glimpses of how Charles loved Mercy and protected her when she was little, even though she says back in Moon Called (and maybe at least one other time) that she thought he hated her; and of course she says many times that she was scared of him.  I think he had/has a great deal of respect for her.

Re: the walking stick.  I can't decide if I think that it just finds Mercy more interesting at the moment than ap Lugh (ie, he's going to try to keep it in fairy land, while she takes it out on adventures), or if it's hungry and thinks Mercy will let it eat some more interesting monsters, or if maybe Beauclaire encouraged it to help Mercy this time, or if it has just developed an affinity for Mercy... My money is on the first one.  Especially since it didn't come back to her from Coyote, and you know he was keeping it interested.  But isn't one of the things you learn from fairy tales, that you never know what the fae are thinking?  Especially when it's a fae thing that technically shouldn't be thinking at all?

Re: blood bond to Stephen.  Not surprised.  A little miffed that he lied to her about it, but I do understand his motivation.  And while I only trust him about 85% (he is a vampire after all), I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Re: Gary/Mercy/Coyote, family dynamics and revelations.  Love that Mercy has the possibility of a long life.  I was worried about Adam.  Also LOVE that Gary and Mercy identified as siblings.  I hope Mercy introduces him to her sisters. And I think that for all he says about disliking Coyote, I suspect things are a lot more complicated than that - aren't they always, between parent and child? - and also that Coyote is playing a very long game and I think he'd like to keep his offspring alive for as long as possible, but death and danger simply don't mean the same thing to someone who regenerates each time he dies.  Coyote is impulsive and rash, and he means it when he says that rules and safety are boring... but did you all notice how he shut up when Mercy said she followed rules when it meant those she loved were safe? and how Mercy basically agreed that rules are meant to be broken and too much safety is boring. 
Gary Laughingdog has an affinity for trouble because he's Coyote's son, but he also doesn't have a death wish so he'd like to keep it to manageable amounts of trouble, thank you very much.  And Coyote's rashness gets a little too close to the line sometimes.  Over the course of his very long life, Gary has probably had more than enough experiences too add up to being very suspicious of bad things coming, any time Dad comes to visit.  But I think he also thinks it's sort of fun, to be in the middle of the action, or he'd have acted a lot more reluctant.  Even if he stuck around only because he needed to protect the people he'd come to care about, I got the wrong vibe for him to be really that upset about it.

Re: the pack watching Mercy's fight on the projection screen.  Oh, this made me laugh so hard.  I got an impression of collective "Not all of us like her all the time, but she's a little spitfire and dang, we're glad she's on our team."

Re: new submissive.  I'm not sure from where, but his name tripped something in my memory banks and I spent twenty minutes trying to figure out where the heck I've heard of him before.  So is it this series or someone else's where we've got a character surnamed Drummond?  This is going to bother me until I track him down.  I suspect that he had one of two purposes:  Either he needed an introduction here so that he can be more important in the next book, which I think is more likely, or else it was as simple as the pack needing a submissive so that the tension with everyone being at Honey's didn't boil over... so his place in the plot was to keep it from getting side-tracked by too much pack politics.

I was kind of surprised with how long it took, and the hinting required, to get Mercy to think of trying to bring Joel into the pack.  She notices that the bonds are like and not-like pack bonds right away.  I also think it was smarter for her to try stealing the bonds rather than cutting the dog-thing loose as Coyote apparently expected (and okay, I expected it too.  I didn't realize that Mercy could bring someone into the pack herself!) Joel himself might be a good person, but who knows how much control he would have over the volcano spirit thing if left to his own devices... or Guayota might have been able to re-gain at least some control again. Instead, Mercy brings the immortal's loyalty over to herself, and they can figure out later if it's safe to let Joel go it alone. 
Granted, I'm sure there's going to be plenty of backlash over another non-werewolf in the pack, but since the action kept Guayota from killing them all I almost think Mercy's going to get less backlash than Adam did when he made Mercy pack.  Also, Joel's canine form isn't seen as quite as underpowered as Mercy's coyote. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 07:46:50 am »
Must we use the spoiler bars here?  It really is annoying and this is clearly a spoiler section.  I thought we could go without since the topic is totally a spoiler area.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:51:48 pm »
We usually use them for a week or two after the release if I remember correctly.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 12:32:51 am »
Sorry, DW; I have strong memories of an old member grumbling about 'there were the spoiler penguins doing their spoiler dance, and I waltzed right past, and was annoyed to see spoilers out in 'the open'' so... bars.

Now... Stephan... oh, that's a humdinger.  And Adam's acceptance of it, after he pulled her into the pack in response to Stephan's pull on her when his 'sheep' were sundered from him!

Joel, the new 'pack member' from Mercy stealing him from the volcano god... that's interesting on a lot of levels.  She can bring new members in of her own, as Alpha Mate.  She thought of it.  She stole him from Ebil Guy. He has to be canid 23/24. Oh...  poor sod, too.

The new submissive.  The pack needs at least one.   Hope they get more!  Poor Zach.  And think "Bulldog Drummond" perhaps.  I suspect that for all Patty says "I write SHORT novels!"
this is... well, a novel in two parts.  Zach's utility will show up in the next volume, I dare say.  Interesting how he reacted to Gary, and Gary to him, don't you think?  How would that have played out if Zach had been put up at Adam & Mercy's house, or Honey's, to start with, inste  ad of Kyle & Warren's?

Warren's 'for the moment' acceptance from the pack. . . wow.  That was a tear-jerker!  Seriously deserved.  Still.

Mercy's fight being seen by the rest of the pack.  Good.  Very good.  Let them FINALLY see that she's fighting for all mankind.  Mankind as base human, werewolf, witch, or fae.  Mankind as CANTRIP or North American supernatural.  It doesn't matter to Mercy, she's fighting for the right of the underdog to dog, if you will.  And if the pack gets some back-splash, well... they're strong, and once upon a time they were base-human too.  Most of them wish they still were, so why do they object to her fighting for the base humans to continue living in their dream world?  Yours was spoiled?  Don't pee on your younger siblings' parades, wolves.

Now, the ending.  Did you ever see anything that more clearly showed that the author intended to continue writing the series?  Beauclaire's involvement... could have been left out unless he's going to be important - or the walking staff is going to be important - in the next volume.  I think... this is going to be where the alignment of the fae & the werewolves, or other, unclassified supernaturals, is going to come under scrutiny. 
The Walking Stick itself... you wonder, at this point.  Is it now blood hungry, and sensing somehow that Mercy is going to be getting more immortal blood to feed it?  Or is it... a person in itself, now?  Perhaps, because of quenching, rather late, in River Devil's blood, it is now a dark artifact? Will Mercy be required, reluctantly, to destroy it before it too has an unquenchable hunger, like the volcano god?

Whew, I did go on a while!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:37:10 am by Patti L. »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 11:18:51 am »
What I liked about the ending was that it is absolutely clear that the series will continue, and there are plenty of unanswered questions, but none of them is really a cliff-hanger.  It feels resolved. 

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
Loved this one--it may be my favorite for the Mercy/Adam relationship. It was nice to see them content with each other, even though the circumstances were far from ideal.

I think that the walking stick ends up back with Mercy because of how Beauclaire initially rejects it.  He throws it back at Mercy--nearly hitting her and she notices that it is sulky and reluctant to go to him a second time.  I think the walking stick is a case of the fae underestimating one of their own objects.

As for Zack, ok, let me say here, I read the last chapter first, always do, bad Jenni, bad!  However, it sometimes let you catch some foreshadowing you might otherwise miss.  When I read the scene where Adam brings Zack into the pack, my thought was, oh hey, that's going to be how they defeat the bad guy!  As for Zach himself, I'm assuming he'll be important in another story.  At this point, I trust PB when she brings in someone I may not initially like or think is very interesting.

One thing I really want to see, somewhere, soon, is a scene with Mercy and Charles together--INTERACTING--with perspectives from BOTH!!!  I really just want to know what goes through his head when he deals with her.  PB has dropped too many tidbits throughout both the Mercy and A&O novels that I really want to see how he views the relationship, especially since so many of those bits imply that he had a much larger presence in her childhood than we originally thought.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »
Jenni, I'm also in favor of some sort of "Charles POV" of Mercy. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:44 pm »
Yes, I would love to see some of that as well.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:26:41 am »
I have a huge list of points to ponder, but I'm not going to just list them all out because that's just monotonous.  My biggest two things are:

Is the guy pulling the strings of the two CANTRP agents Orton & Kent one of the same ones who was behind the kidnapping of the pack in Frost Burned?

Did Mercy ever tell Adam that she is likely to live longer than normal?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
Frost was behind the kidnapping; I suppose if Armstrong didn't get enough info to arrest the CANTRIP Higher Up, he could still be at it, but the impression was that there was some house cleaning done.

As to Mercy, She had no clue, remember, SHE never met another walker/Avatar until River Marked, and while Carson Twospoon lived a long time, it was humanly long.  We have no idea if any of the folks she met in RM have talked with her about how old they might expect to live, or her either, as being purer blood.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
Well Patti L., I got the impression in Frost Burned that there was more behind the attack on the pack than just Frost.   I reread FB before the release of NB, and I still think that.

Mercy's talk with Gary Laughingdog in NB, where she learned how old Gary is and that she is likely to have a similar life expectancy barring disease, bullets, getting hit by a bus etc etc. since they are both direct first generation walkers... (or is it second?)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:14:54 am »
If we think of Coyote as first generation, I'd tend to think of Mercy as 3rd, because she always insists he wasn't her father, or else she'd have to hunt him down and hurt him for leaving her mom.   Her actual purity of blood... well, this is magic, not science.  I'm not going to make my head hurt trying to parse that out.

And there are always more motives than one.  Consider how The Monster's weapon grade taser tool meshed in with Gary Wallace's activities.  So, yeah, it could well be.  Or different people with the same hatred, not necessarily coordinated.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
The way I see it, if she accepts that Gary is her half-brother, to me it's clear that she knows that Coyote is her father, even if she is choosing (at least so far) to verbally maintain that it was not he but Joe Old Coyote who was her father.  It has been a necessary (to her) fiction for her to maintain so that her Mother doesn't get involved in the confusion of Coyote being alive, and so she can stay on reasonably decent terms with Coyote.  Also, she now probably will have to consider his discussion of what it is like for him to die, one moment he is there, then, *clap* he is elsewhere, and everything is different. 

Perhaps she can accept now that while Joe 'could', maybe 'should' have been more careful because of Margie, that would have been about as likely as it would be for HER to avoid trouble and not scare Adam half to death, or he to scare her.  They all behave as their natures demand.  She, (and Adam) are heroes who can't leave people to their deadly fates, and Coyote (and Joe) are/were the trickster who can't help taunting vampires or anything else that pops up in their path.

Gary Laughing-dog has done his best to avoid trouble, (and Coyote), but this time he stepped up to the plate and helped when he was needed, so perhaps HIS nature has begun some small change.  Perhaps now he has found something to love and care for, family? Friends? Loved ones?  Something to regret losing, but also, something worth standing to fight for.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:11:02 pm by DandelionWine »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:17 pm »
Yeah, I think Mercy is F1 generation (first offspring) as well.  Joe Old Coyote was not Coyote's son, he was an individual who was both his own individual, and Coyote.  Joe wouldn't have seen himself as Coyote, therefore he was not Coyote.  But at the same time, he was fully inhabited Coyote.  Maybe Coyote's insistence that Joe is Mercy's dad, not Coyote, is partially out of respect for the human man... and it might also be partially to spare Mercy's feelings.  Don't you remember back in River Marked, Mercy says something about how if Coyote was her father, she'd have to be angry with him/resent him for never being there for her.  So complicated as it is, she prefers it if Coyote is not her father.  And I wondered then if Coyote might understand that on some level.  He might not be sparing her feelings for her sake, but rather because she'll be easier to manipulate if she doesn't hate him... but he has also shown that he understands the need to protect loved ones.  Even if Coyote's idea of protection isn't always the expected... Coyote, like Joe, sees himself as the hero, I think. 

I think I believe DW's assessment of Gary Laughingdog, as well.  I think he's spent an awful lot of time trying to avoid trouble, but I can see him staying in touch with Mercy and the CB pack, and giving them a hand when it's needed. It's not so much that he's found family, I think, because all of the coyote walkers would technically be his nieces, nephews, and great^n -nieces and -nephews.  It's that he's found family who he can be proud of; family he can rely on... and now that Mercy and her people are people he cares about, he'll be there for them. 

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 12:54:54 am »

I kind of feel like the new submissive didn't have much plot purpose though.

This is a series, and it makes sense to introduce something in one book (characters, situations, upcoming events) that will not come to fruition until the next story.
That said, it is also a classic convention of story-telling that goes back to the Greek and Roman times to include things in the story that merely show the audience/reader that the characters are not just in the story, but have a life. Shakespeare used that convention, so if that's what it is here Patty is following the lead of the masters of old. :)

I don't know if that's considered spoiling (spoilish?) or not, so I've used the Bars of Darkness.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia