Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**  (Read 91571 times)

YuleRule

• Tinker
[Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:31:07 am »
Just finished reading the book. I really liked it, especially as we get glimpses of secondary characters as well.

We get a glimpse of how powerful Tad is, we see Samuel and Ariana, and Stephan as well. Tony brings up the fact that he saw her shift to coyote last book as well. Oh, and honey and Mercy talk about their issues somewhat.

And major long-term spoiler:
I was so happy to hear that Mercy's going to have a longer than human lifespan due to her father being Coyote (And she says out loud that she has daddy issues, in her denial that Coyote is her father) so she's closer to the source of her magic than the average walker.

There are more Mercy books after this one, right?

And Mercy definitely knows how to/is coyote-trouble, with her actions at the end of the book.

~~Split from spoiler thread.  Mods.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:32:07 pm by Patti L. »
Please Check These Out!

midnight

• Tinker
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken ** Spoilers**
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:01 am »
I've just finished.  :)  Loved it. Mercy is just fantastic. She is completely my favourite heroine. As I predicted Christy drove me crazy. I don't think I could have handled her as well as Mercy did. The only thing that left me a little perplexed was how abrupt the ending was. This made me think that this is a cliff hanger for the next book because I know how good of a writer Patty is. She's leaving me salivating for more.  :D 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:25:28 am by midnight »

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **Spoilers**
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:55:54 pm »
Mods, I think we may need to open up a NB thread with spoilers :)

Your wish is my command!  8)

Thank you, all mighty moderators on high! Sorry I didn't see this sooner - I've avoided the area like plague until I finished, myself.  :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:37:00 am by Baum Diggity »
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **Spoilers**
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »
And done!
Thursday or Friday I'll be using The Black Bars of Doom!  Please remember to apply them liberally, folks.  :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:34:30 pm by Patti L. »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken **SPOILERS**
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:57:22 pm »
I really love how Mercy got her revenge on Christy. And Jesse's response- I'll dye my hair and we can be twins!

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:07:31 pm »
I totally loved all the great things we found out about everyone in this book!!! Looking forward to the next one!!!! I absolutely love the relationship between Jesse and Mercy  :-LOVE  and the way Adam and Mercy  :-LOVE have grown. Christy well I would punched her lights out  >:( !!!! Mercy's restraint was very admirable!  :D

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Moonbeam

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:24 am »
I really love how Mercy got her revenge on Christy. And Jesse's response- I'll dye my hair and we can be twins!

Without going into too many personal details about my failed marriage, and why it failed (mainly because my ex was no Adam, unfortunately... ha), I was at one time in a situation that was almost exactly the mundane version of what Mercy goes through in this book (meaning the fake stalker was not a volcano god - and actually was not even a person because the bitch made him up).

Suffice it to say, when I found her crap in my shower after having already told her (multiple times) to KEEP OUT, I was inspired to do exactly what Mercy did. Unfortunately, I was so poor at the time that I was barely making rent, and destitute to the point that I was on a Ramen-only diet. There was no question of purchasing dye or Nair, no matter how satisfying - it simply wasn't an option. So I resorted to just pouring it all out, leaving her with empty bottles.

If you think Christy is good at looking like a victim and villainizing Mercy... wow... you don't even know. Unfortunately, my marriage didn't survive it because the ex fell for every single trick - hook, line, and sinker. He did not even care when the woman was exposed as a liar who had been using him the entire time. By then, he was so convinced that I was the most spiteful, hideous, mean-spirited sow on the face of the planet. We were no more.

Fortunately, he was never my mate... only my husband.

And though most of that has very little to do with the plot of this book, I said all that to say that this scene with the shampoo in the end really touched me in a profound way. It is such an after-thought amid the rest of what goes on in the book (all of which I enjoyed immensely), but it's what made me connect with the story.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:11 am »
My new favorite comment to use as a sort of farewell is now "Don't juggle porcupines!" 

Not spoilerizing that because really, even if you haven't read it yet, it'll just make you wonder where it might pop up!     LOL
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:58 am »
I really enjoyed reading this last book.  It did end abruptly though like midnight pointed out.  I sure hope that is right though, that it is a cliffhanger.  I cannot believe that the walking stick decided to come back to Mercy again even after giving it to Lugh's son!  Maybe it is because he didn't accept it right away saying that it wasn't the right one?

How does everyone feel about Mercy still having the blood bond to Stephen though?  That was kind of a shocker to me, although, Adam didn't seem to surprised.

How does everyone feel about Gary's feeling towards Coyote?  I honestly do think that Coyote is trying to help Mercy in his own weird way.  I think that he does care for Mercy...but isn't exactly sure how to express those feelings?  Any thoughts?  I also think I need to add that I think it is AWESOME that Mercy found out that she has a brother and was even telling everyone that he was her brother!  I hope that we get to see that relationship bloom!

What do you think is going to happen when Bran realizes that the federal agents were going to take Mercy in for questioning?  I think that if the government were to somehow get ahold of Mercy, then Bran will be right beside Adam, fighting to get her back.....well, that is if Mercy wasn't able to get out of it herself.

I think that is enough for now.  I really did enjoy this book though.  And as DanelionWine has pointed out....."Don't juggle porcupines!"   LOL

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:05 am »
The blood bond between Mercy and Stefan I can honestly say, if it were any other vampire I would be worried, but as it is Stefan I'm generally ok with it. I can see how it might bother her and I can also see why Stefan kept it a secret. It is still not an ideal situation because of who Mercy is and her position with the wolves but at the time it was made, it was necessary.

What I did find interesting though is when Adam said Stefan was more than just a little in love with her. When I read that I had a flash back to that scene in the basement in blood bound, where he was "whispering words of love".
    :-LOVE  I love Stefan, I wish he could find some kind of happiness, he needs it.

Wulfe however,  ??? that man is spooky, fun to read about but spooky. Ironically, I love finding out more information on him. He fascinates me.

skb2k

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »

The pack watching and re-watching the video of Mercy's fight with Volcano God Man.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:35 pm »
There were a number of great scenes. I also liked Adam and Mercy's discussion of shoes.
I kind of feel like the new submissive didn't have much plot purpose though.

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:45:50 pm »
The problem with PB's writing is that she sets the bar so high.  Loved the depth of the relationships and I so want an Adam. 

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:24 am »
Zealith, I think that the point of the new submissive wolf was to show that he was having panic attacks like Mercy used to get.  Did you notice how uncomfortable he was when he first approached Mercy in her garage?  It seems to me that he has been abused in some way and is trying to find a place to belong but is so scared to let people in and help him.  I sure am hoping that Ben is able to take a stand to help him out in the next book, especially with as much as we have seen Ben grow.  Although, I'm not exactly sure if he will stay in this pack with all the problems that they seem to be having, especially with them accepting a coyote into the pack as well as the newest addition (I can't seem to remember the name of the new one that Mercy accepted into the pack....but I do have to ask...did she accept him into Adams pack or did she accept him into her own pack?)  It will be interesting to see if he is going to stay or go.

Another question that has been kind of floating around in my head.  Mercy's brother, Gary, was able to do some sort of magic.  I wonder if he is going to teach Mercy how to do that?  Is he planning on sticking around....or is he going to go?

One other thing.....how in the world is PB going to come up with a more terrifying monster for Mercy and Adam to fight?  I mean, seriously, she has set the bar so extremely high that it isn't even funny! 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:29:34 pm »
I did see that, but other than a comparison to show how Mercy had progressed I didn't see much about him that advanced the plot. Though he could have been introduced to show Mercy's progression. He might have also been used to show the possibility of bringing in someone else to the pack.