Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 6713 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Gardening
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »
Your post about creating an irrigation system made me laugh.  At home, we don't have fancy irrigation, we have Brotherling and Dad and me and a hose. 

But my grandma has an in-ground sprinkler system.  Great for people with big yards.  Apparently not so great for those who live in sandy areas.  Any given sprinkler will function properly about half the time.  The other half the time, they either get stuck in the "off" position or else they get stuck watering an area that doesn't have plants.  Like, for instance, the driveway.  You fix them by stepping on them and knocking the sand loose, and it takes a certain amount of skill to do so without getting immediately sprayed down. 

Good luck with your garden.  I'm hopeful that this year the weather in the midwest won't be as horribly hot and dry as it was last year (and I have a yard and a hose and a watering can to help me, instead of a balcony, a bathtub, and an empty milk jug), and my tomatoes and strawberries will survive to provide me with tasty food...

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:17 am »
At one time I thought I had a green thumb. Then I learned that having everything I put in the refrigerator come out green didn't count. :-whistle
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »
Kyria, what soil we have (that isn't solid rock, I mean) in southeastern WA is VERY sandy.  And usually riddled with river rock, which makes digging with a shovel... challenging!
Find what you love and do it!

MaryW

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 04:30:59 pm »
Did you loop the lines?  We installed a drip system 2 years ago and it sort of worked.  This year we hired a landscaper and he completely re-installed it.  The lines need to loop in order to equalize the pressure.

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:51:58 pm »
I'd give up on the irrigation.  If the plants aren't hardy enough to survive the odd dry spell between watering they just weren't meant to be.  There are some very realistic plastic flowers/plants on the market now- we won't tell and they don't need watering. ;)

big city wolf

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:02:53 am »
Since we've officially moved to the desert, our plants are doing well.  We don't water them and they like it.  The rocks and pots and other decorative items also like the lack of water.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:09:16 am »
I tried that not watering thing last summer.  By accident: I was away from my apartment for a week at a time on a regular basis.
I killed an awful lot of plants.  But some of them survived. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:57 pm »
Sort of off topic, but somewhere you'd (0ne of you) mentioned having to replace door handles because the cats could manipulate them:  http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2013/05/leon-cat-lets-himself-out-of-house.html
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:41:09 am »
Well, I invested more money in floral gardening this year.  I picked up two new roses, a George Burns hybrid tea, and a climbing Don Juan.  I had planted two Don Juans and a climbing Peace two years ago, but I overdid it with the steer manure and burned the roots up.  :-'  I let the area rest for two years, and now I think its safe to start replanting.  I'm also contemplating dahlias, since one of my coworkers is selling tubers for $3 each.  Some of them are gigantic blooms, 10" across, and I'm thinking those probably need to have support trellises to keep the plants from collapsing under the weight.  :D
Find what you love and do it!