Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 308201 times)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #585 on: October 18, 2017, 04:26:05 am »
In his defense, his comic creation speaks also (for the time) openly about war crimes commited against women.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #586 on: October 18, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »
The movie got good reviews. I haven't seen it, but it sounds a little more nuanced than the trailers might suggest.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #587 on: October 18, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »
Huh. Didn't know that Patti. Sort jof interesting.
Stilll, WW is a strong woman with agency, which is not all that common in the superhero universes.

I haven't seen the movie either. Waiting for it to be available on netflix or similar.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #588 on: October 19, 2017, 06:13:01 am »
They deliberately wrote her that way, though he also insisted that she be tied up on a regular basis. It was still light years ahead of any other female empowerment in popular culture.

I finished PARABLE OF THE SOWER, and did a little research on the author. The series was intended to encompass several books, five or six. She got writers' block after two, which may have been exacerbated by her high blood pressure and meds, and wrote FLEDGELING instead. I suspect that during her research for the series, she simply couldn't see a way to write herself to where she wanted it to go. In her other series, mankind is saved by outside agency, either alien or magical. She intended for humanity to save itself in this one, eventually by going to the stars. I think she realized that there wasn't really a way to get there from here in the future she had visualized, which by the way looks not nearly far enough from where we are currently.

Reread THE GOBLIN EMPEROR by Katherine Addison (pen name for Sarah Monette) for at least the fifth time. Last night I started my umpteenth reread of DEEP SECRET, one of my favorite Diana Wynne Jones books.   

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #589 on: October 19, 2017, 10:39:40 am »
Oh, I listened to the "Mark reads" podcasts/Youtubes of that recently.  Doesn't look as though he's done the sequel, "The Merlin Conspiracy".  Have you re-read that one too?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #590 on: October 20, 2017, 05:40:37 am »
Oh yeah. Just not as often. I might reread that one next - don't think I've ever read them sequentially before. In fact, I originally read TMC before DS, as I had no idea they were related.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #591 on: October 20, 2017, 03:56:27 pm »
Reading the new Felix Francis mystery, Pulse, it's okay so far, and the new Jenna Ryan, Dark Justice, also okay so far.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #592 on: October 21, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »
The What are you reading? vol. 9 thread.
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #593 on: October 21, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
 LOL LOL

I finished Pulse by Felix Francis and contemplating DNFing Dark Justice by Jenna Ryan.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #594 on: October 21, 2017, 06:20:08 pm »
The What are you reading? vol. 9 thread.

Smartarse.

Audio of "High Wizardry" by Diane Duane, as read by Mark Oshiro. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #595 on: October 21, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »
Last Chance Olive Ranch by Susan Witting Albert. China Bales is solving another mystery in Texas.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #596 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
I read a couple of the early books in that series, maybe I should go back to it.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #597 on: October 21, 2017, 08:37:12 pm »
I enjoy the familiarity of the characters, but I would be afraid to invite China to dinner.  LOL

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #598 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:16 pm »
:D :D

I started an urban fantasy anthology, Urban Enemies, and a cozy mystery, Bel, Book, and Scandal by Maggie McConnon.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #599 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:47 pm »
I've read most of the Urban Enemies series. Enjoyed the authors I was looking for.