Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 308213 times)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #525 on: June 24, 2017, 12:51:45 am »
"Growing Strong Daughters", Lisa Graham McMinn

It's a re-read, still the intro caught me just as unawares as the first time. There's something feeling really disconcerting about an author talking about God and The Fall as if they were real - but apart from that, it's a great book.
She comes off actually quite levelheaded.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #526 on: June 24, 2017, 05:35:49 am »
Believe it or not, many people who believe in God are, in fact, quite levelheaded. There is not, in fact, any scientific way to prove that God does not exist. Atheists are choosing a belief. Agnostics are the only completely scientific thinkers.

ETA: The Fall, on the other hand, is admittedly pure mythology. However, I can think of a few technological innovations that may eventually qualify as metaphorical Falls in hindsight.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:42:16 am by pondhawk »

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #527 on: June 24, 2017, 07:59:00 am »
Believe it or not, many people who believe in God are, in fact, quite levelheaded. There is not, in fact, any scientific way to prove that God does not exist. Atheists are choosing a belief. Agnostics are the only completely scientific thinkers.

I have to disagree with the last. There is indeed no way to definitively prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being. My rational thought, weighing the evidence, concludes from same that there is none. You can evaluate the evidence differently. My ‘belief’ is based on my best and most honest interpretation of the world I see.

Agnosticism can be the result of not having enough information to make a choice, and that’s okay. (‘Believing’ that there is no way to tell.) It can also be, and in my experience often is, a fear of renouncing belief in supreme being and being condemned to hell. Being raised in a religious environment, I had to struggle with that myself. Eventually the cognitive dissonance became too much for me and I became an atheist.

IMO
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #528 on: June 24, 2017, 10:21:28 am »
Back to what's being read, folks, remember, religion is one of the forbidden subjects. :)  Feel free to PM debate, but Private, not Public, okay?

I'm doing a re-read of Gentleman Jolie and the Red Queen, by Lois McMaster Bujold.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #529 on: July 18, 2017, 12:45:26 pm »
After my foray into classic Andre Norton, all books I'd previously read a few decades ago, I'm reading some classic Charles deLint that is new to me (I've read a few of his, but not these). Bedside book is GREENMANTLE and car book is MULENGRO. Both are from the 80s and quite good. The former in particular has a lot of thinking about Big Questions in it, which in no way slows down the action.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #530 on: July 18, 2017, 12:51:22 pm »
I've enjoyed Charles de Lint in the past. Haven't read him in a while. Should go look hm up again. Have been reading Ben Aaronovitch's The Furthest Station.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #531 on: July 18, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »
Ben Aaronovitch is my new must-read. It's just so long until the next Rivers of London book comes out! I have to get Audible so I can listen to the short story.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #532 on: July 18, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »
Have you been reading the graphic novels as well? I'm saving up for The Black Mold set.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #533 on: July 19, 2017, 01:49:28 am »
Just finished Stephanie Osborn's Alpha and Omega. Enjoyed it, enough that I've downloaded the next to my Kindle. It's titled A Small Medium At Large.
(Don't blame me, I didn't title it!)
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #534 on: July 19, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »
Have you been reading the graphic novels as well? I'm saving up for The Black Mold set.

I haven't yet. Not sure whether I will. I read one of our hostess's, and discovered that at least one visual kept me up at night. That has only happened once with print books, and not with hers. The visuals might be too vivid for me.

ETA: It might be OK if they don't involve children. I have a tough time with stuff happening to kids.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:55:33 pm by pondhawk »

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »
I don't remember anything with children, hut I would have ti do a reread to be sure.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #536 on: July 25, 2017, 12:13:48 am »
Just finished Ilona Andrew's Wildfire. Thoroughly enjoyed the story. Still don't know the identity of Caesar.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2017, 08:13:27 am »
Red Mars ~Kim Stanley Robinson
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #538 on: July 25, 2017, 08:32:27 am »
Red Mars ~Kim Stanley Robinson

Loved them, great Space Soap Opera. :D

Giving the King/Straub collab "Talisman" a second chance - but can't really get into it.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #539 on: July 25, 2017, 10:48:26 am »
re(etc) reading "Starpilot's Grave" by Debra Doyle & James McDonald.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.