Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 308207 times)

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2016, 11:31:39 am »
 ??? And?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
Just finished From a High Tower. Inspired me to look up Karl May. Now that is a colourful character.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »
I just finished Saving Simon, by Jon Katz. Part memoir of rescuing a donkey, part meditation on the various faces of compassion. Altogether worth the read, it's now possibly my favorite of his books. Got A Wizard Of Mars on my Nook, and am about a third of the way through catching up so I can start Games Wizards Play. I haven't got Lifeboats yet.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2016, 09:20:07 pm »
40 Freaking Creepy-A** Two Sentence Stories

*language and "seriously creepy" warning*
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:50 am »
I'm currently reading Storm Front. The first Dresden files book. One down, 12 to go. I do want to read the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. I actually loved The Keep film by Michael Mann, so it inspired me to check out the series soon.
Forget money, I have a vision!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #425 on: March 06, 2016, 01:59:32 pm »
Finding something to tide me over until Tuesday when Fire Touched comes out. I did a re-read of Penric's Demon, a short story by Bujold, but that wasn't enough.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #426 on: March 06, 2016, 02:50:27 pm »
Did you get Gentleman Jolie and the Red Queen?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #427 on: March 07, 2016, 08:39:59 am »
Apparently there is a new Seanan McGuire/Incryptid out? It's requiring all my discipline to stay away from B&N until tomorrow. Currently reading the new Patricia A. McKillip, KINGFISHER, and about 1/3 of the way through. There were a couple of lines that were so mystical I wanted to smack someone, but mostly it's been good. It's solidly UF, or possibly Resort Area Fantasy. The setting reminds me of the Pacific coast. The characters are sort of modern day Arthurian, in that they are driving sports cars, pickups etc. but talking about quests with a complete lack of irony. McKillip is a fabulous writer in every sense of the word.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #428 on: March 09, 2016, 07:19:14 pm »
I finished the new Incrypted. Much fun with Aeslin Mice. I'm now reading Home from the Sea by Mercedes Lackey. Nice shout out to Elizabeth Peters.  :D Waiting for my new book in the post.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #429 on: April 05, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »
I read it (CHAOS CHOREOGRAPHY) last week. Fun! Just picked up Laurie R. King's THE MURDER OF MARY RUSSELL, Seanan McGuire's EVERY HEART A DOORWAY, and Faith Hunter's latest Jane Yellowrock, SHADOW RITES. However I had started Leon Panetta's memoir WORTHY FIGHTS a couple of days ago, and it's interesting enough that I will probably finish it before starting any of those. The guy has lived through a lot of history.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »
Looks like a good story.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2016, 07:17:09 pm »
Re(etc) reading "Shadow Magic" by Patricia C. Wrede.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2016, 07:31:48 pm »
Huron Hurog, (^%$#@! autocorrect, my worst enema) FB, Twitter, hotel services binder. Interesting but the plot is lacking.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:40:24 am by Reidiwr »
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2016, 11:55:09 pm »
Uncle Tom's Cabin, and some Civil War accounts on the side.

I'm surprised how readable, entertaining, and still relevant Beecher Stowe's book feels, although it's at times a tad more difficult to read than more modern novels and she sure doesn't spare with the Christian message.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2016, 08:25:55 am »
Huron, FB, Twitter, hotel services binder. Interesting but the plot is lacking.

Autocorrect strikes again?

Anything about the Civil War and slavery is still relevant, sorry to say. It's looking more and more like that will always be true.