Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 291492 times)

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2015, 05:15:08 am »
A friend of mine just read that and loved it. Her recommendations have been hit and miss for me, though, so I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Enjoyed it very much. For a book with maybe half a page of action scenes it grabben my attention and held on very well. Almost unputdownable. Even if there isn't much physical action going on there is still a tension and "drive" to it that really grabbed hold of me.

Also found out that Katherine Addison is a pseudonym for Sarah Monette whose writing I do enjoy very much

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:27 am »
Expectations, or a variation on it, should be a better fit, yes.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2015, 10:39:38 am »
Oh, I've reat Sarah Monette's Mirador series. She really is an excellent writer, though sometimes I think she is a little into trying to shock the reader. One thing that really impressed me about that series was that she was able to use an invented slang that actually worked. Most invented slang just ends up distracting me to the point of annoyance. I will definitely look for The Goblin Emperor.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:39 am »
The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:05 am »
"The Lurker at the Threshold", by H. P.
Interesting, but I did expect more from it.

And I've got Rose Lerner's "Sweet Disorder" waiting on my eReader, Historical romance, but I did enjoy her "A lily among thorns" - hope this one can compare.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:30 pm »
Oh, I've reat Sarah Monette's Mirador series. She really is an excellent writer, though sometimes I think she is a little into trying to shock the reader. One thing that really impressed me about that series was that she was able to use an invented slang that actually worked. Most invented slang just ends up distracting me to the point of annoyance. I will definitely look for The Goblin Emperor.
She does have a way with language. :) That is part of what made the Goblin Emperor very enjoyable I think. The very careful and conscious use of words, style and level of formality really adds flavour and texture to a read. This one is not as dark as the Mirador series. Allthough the intrugue and politics are still quite deadly.

Have you read her collaboration with Elizabeth Bear? So far there are two books: A Companion to Wolves link and The Tempering of Men link and there is supposed to be a third one in the works. I read about it on Elizabeth Bears blog I think ? anyway, not sure when that will be out. But I enjoyed the other two. Those two ladies do excellent world building and charachters.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

wolvin.mm

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2015, 08:41:04 am »
Just finished 'Raven's Shadow' and onto 'Raven's Strike' :)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2015, 04:01:19 am »
Poor Child of Doubt and Death, a bonus short story to Sweet Disorder by Rose Lerner, putting her heroes in a paranormal romance setting as vampire and dragon shifter.
'twas fun!

http://roselerner.com/blog/2014/12/25/sweet-disorder-short-story/
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2015, 06:46:16 am »
You know Varg, I had looked at the synopsis and reviews of TCOW when it came out, and it did not sound completely like my cup of tea. The Mirador series was right on the edge for me, and I really appreciated her writing in that. But in that series, and in a blog post of hers I once read, she seems a little overly enamored of gratuitous transgression, and it may be that I read for different reasons than she sometimes writes.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:05 am »
I interrupted Rothfuss to read Jeaniene Frost's Bound by Flames, because I  :-LOVE this series. It was great. Dark, but great.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2015, 09:46:23 am »
The Witches of Wenshar by Barbara Hambly, an oldie - gosh, nearly 30 years! Sequel to "The Ladies of Mandrigyn", and (to be read next) before "the Dark Hand of Magic."

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:31 pm »
Finished "An man named Ove" - it was in the kind of "Gran Torino", and yes, amusing.
Finished "Ich schreib dir 7 Jahre", Liz Balfour - nice story to read along the way.

Now "Das vierte Siegel", Liane Sons a German author. A great fantasy-story, I hope. More than 900 pages  :)
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2015, 11:53:31 pm »
Working on book 2 of the "Black Dogs" duology by Ursula Vernon,
but tomorrow I'll be reading "Impulse" by Dave Bara, to review for Bea.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2015, 09:07:40 am »
Just finished Burn for Me.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2015, 12:20:45 pm »
Deceiver ~C. J. Cherryh
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs