Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 308215 times)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2014, 01:10:04 am »
Finally read Metropolis, by Thea von Harbou, didn't like it much - it's terribly overwrought in my opinion, buried in religious symbolisms reflecting the multitude of faiths.

This notwithstanding, I did like this part, spoken by Joh Fredersen's mother (Fredersen, if you are familiar with the story, is the one who rules over the metropolis):

“Du hast vergessen, daß Liebende heilig sind. Auch wenn sie sich irren, Joh; selbst ihr Irrtum ist heilig. Auch wenn sie Narren sind, Joh; selbst ihre Narrheit ist heilig. Denn wo Liebende sind, ist der Garten Gottes, und niemand hat das Recht, sie daraus zu vertreiben. Nicht einmal Gott.”

"You have forgotten that lovers are sacred. Even if they are mistaken, Joh, their mistake itself is sacred. Even if they are fools, Joh, their folly itself is sacred. For where lovers are, there is God's garden, and no one has the right to drive them out. Not even God."

I wish you a merry Christmas everywhere, btw.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2014, 10:20:27 am »
Book 5 in the Fever series  by Karen Marie Moning - two to go

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
Just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi  :P

I just started a New Adult book The Year We Hid Away by Sarina Bowen. I loved the first book in the series, The Year We Fell.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »
Just read the anthology that Unappreciated Gifts is in. WAKE THE SANTAMIND.  LOL
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2015, 05:21:10 am »
Well dumb as it sounds trying to get the newest percy jackson book, and still having issues with my mercy books. The artwork here in the UK is different than the USA. I like the states book covers better. Anyway trying to get a copy of Patty's last book and thinking of starting a book series from Terry Prachett, seems popular here, never heard of him/her in the states.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2015, 09:36:59 am »
BBC4 just did the Sir Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman book "Good Omens" for radio.  Try listening to that to get a feel for him.

Reading "Toad Words and other stories" by Ursula Vernon.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
ya I saw you posted that on my introduction thread - so already checking it out. Thanks.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:34 pm »
Finished "Kate Daniels" -wow-.

Start with  reading "Ein Mann namens Ove" (Frederik Backman) a Swedish author. Don't know what's estimating me, my best friend give it to me.
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2015, 06:42:38 am »
"Estimating?"  Trying to give an educated guess as to duration or size?

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2015, 07:07:56 am »
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2015, 01:43:06 pm »
A friend of mine just read that and loved it. Her recommendations have been hit and miss for me, though, so I will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
Loving it so far. Might be up for a more wordy answer in morning :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »
Nancy Gideon's Moonlight series.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:39 pm »
Finished a cat themed mystery in ebook form, shared with me by charmed, from her eARC.  Not bad, but not something where I'm going to be seeking out more, either.  At least, not if there aren't improvements.

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
"Estimating?"  Trying to give an educated guess as to duration or size?

Again in struggle with words  :-' is expectation a better word?

Found an english description "There is something about Ove. At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local streets. But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so? In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible...The word-of-mouth bestseller causing a sensation across Europe, Fredrik Backman's heartwarming debut is a funny, moving, uplifting tale of love and community that will leave you with a spring in your step - and less ready to judge on first impressions a man you might one day wish to have as your dearest friend."
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.