Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 296423 times)

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2015, 10:57:50 am »
Just about ½ way through The Journals of Lewis and Clark 1804-1806 ~Meriwether Lewis and William Clark (audio).

Amidst the “we saw a ______, killed it” :( are some interesting observations. Things were sure different
in the early 1800s. :-\

What I don’t like is the repetition; the two of them often seemed to copy each others’ journal entries. ;D
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:42 pm »
 ??? Do you think the same things happened to both of them?

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »
More than that, almost word for word in many cases. Often they would be separated
for at least part of the day.
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »
Hmmm? Interesting.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #394 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:45 am »
Thanks to eBay, which is not all frauds, praise be the Lord, I got three of Patty's Mercyverse Books home today:
Shifting Shadows, Night Broken and Dead Heat.

They are UK editions unfortunately, and I'm silently cursing Orbit right now for not being able to stick to one darn format, but at under 12.-€ for three books I can't curse too much (still, it hurts my inner book nerd). 9)
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #395 on: December 02, 2015, 10:25:49 am »
Congratulations ans commiserations LOL
I have to agree completely about the necessity of having the series in the same editions.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2015, 09:40:15 pm »
More than that, almost word for word in many cases. Often they would be separated
for at least part of the day.

I found the answer to that on University of Nebraska website.

It was the daily custom of the captains to make rough notes, with rude outline maps, plans, and miscellaneous sketches, in field-books which they doubtless carried in their pockets. When encamped for a protracted period, these were developed into more formal records. In this development, each often borrowed freely from the other's notes—Lewis, the better scholar of the two generally rewriting in his own manner the material obtained from Clark; while the latter not infrequently copied Lewis practically verbatim, but with his own phonetic spelling. Upon returning to St. Louis, these individual journals were for the most part transcribed into neat blank books—bound in red morocco and gilt-edged—with the thought of preparing them for early publication. After this process, the original field-books must have been cast aside and in large measure destroyed; for but one of these [the Elkskin-bound Journal] is now known to exist. There have come down to us, however, several note-books which apparently were written up in the camps

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:00 pm »
Good research Reidiwr. :D

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #398 on: December 20, 2015, 10:37:47 am »

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2016, 01:31:20 pm »
I love time travel stories — in good part because of the variety of “takes” by different authors.

Really enjoying OF ALL POSSIBLE WORLDS  by Jay O’Connell (novella). Mostly because of the complexity of the story, but there are a few good quotes.

"I was between temp assignments, doing laundry and listening to National Public Radio. My Master's Degree in Nonviolence Studies was somehow not turning into lucrative job offers,...”

"I took another sip of the Postum. They burned the grain. And mixed it with dirt.”

"We drank to the Beatles, who, oddly enough, existed in all 127 timelines. We drank to Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek, who had as well."

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #400 on: January 03, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »
Well, of course they did.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #401 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:44 am »
Heinlein's "The Number Of The Beast", published in 1980, starts out with the invention of a time machine, which turns out to actually travel time, space and alternate dimensions.
As the protagonists start crossing time lines they hit on the idea of comparing the worlds by reading almanacs.
Reading one worlds almanac and looking at U.S. Presidents, Time Traveler Zeb Carter looks up and declares "I don't believe it. My family never gets into politics!"
Another such investigation has the reader calling out "Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy...."

Not much Time Travel fiction manages to even try to cope with the realization that to travel in time means traversing vast distances as well. Heinlein doesn't touch on the fact in this story, but has a device that goes anywhen/anywhere in the blink of an eye.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #402 on: January 04, 2016, 11:22:48 am »
That’s part of what I like about TT stories. It’s such a foreign concept to our brains that there are no rules, so long as the story is internally consistent it works for me.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2016, 12:30:57 pm »
I wish.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2016, 03:29:14 pm »
Just finished re-reads of Cry-Wolf and Fair Game, back to Dead Heat.

For bus to & from Wr0k, I've got Tangled Webs by Anne Bishop.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.