Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 296453 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2015, 12:08:35 pm »
I hear you, FedoraGirl; I'm missing 3rd Black Jewels book.  *makes note to stop at library, turn in current batch & look for that one.*
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »
That's what they all say. ;D

Most of the way through the "black jewels" collection, Dreams Made Flesh.
Also "Once in a Blue Moon", the final story of Hawk & Fisher, by Simon R. Green.

FedoraGirl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #348 on: September 14, 2015, 09:10:16 am »
I hear you, FedoraGirl; I'm missing 3rd Black Jewels book.  *makes note to stop at library, turn in current batch & look for that one.*

I need to start going by the library again! I miss it. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find some Jane Lindskold.

Reidwr, I want that mug, because it's so true. I think if someone looked at my history they would wonder what kind of creature I was. I once typed in something like "how to kill [blank blank] in [blank]" and realized just how awful it would look if any one saw it, so I had to add "for a book" juuuuust in case.

Also reading Burned by Ellen Hopkins and re-reading Crooked by Laura and Tom McNeal.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #349 on: September 14, 2015, 09:24:13 am »
...realized just how awful it would look if any one saw it, so I had to add "for a book" juuuuust in case.

Yah, right. :-whistle
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #350 on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:03 am »
Online conversations between writers can be hilarious. Especially the ones between mystery and fantasy writers, who tend to be really friendly and even-tempered IRL. I remember one mentioning that when she's really annoyed, she just kills someone [fictional] and that cheers her up immensely.

Just finished a reread of River Marked and Night Broken, and a first and only read of Hopcross Jilly. I discovered that the visuals in the graphic novels might not be a good fit for someone as visually oriented as I am. I'm not particularly squeamish, having worked as a necropsy tech for fifteen years, but the panel of the boy crying kept me awake for several hours.

FedoraGirl, I loved the Firekeeper series. I've read some of her Breaking The Wall series, but it hasn't resonated with me quite as much. Readers less animal oriented might like it better than the Firekeeper one, though, even though animals are certainly represented. You might try used book stores; I see her books there occasionally.

Currently starting Underground In Berlin, a memoir by Marie Jalowicz Simon which is translated from the original German. She was a young Jewish woman in 1942 when she went underground as the Jewish citizens of Berlin were being rounded up and transported to extermination camps. A couple of reviews and articles about the book made it sound fascinating. It does not sound safe for younger teens without a parental first read, though. And some parents might have issues with even older teens reading it, but I suspect that would be a mistake. I will have more to say when I have read more.

FedoraGirl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #351 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:11 am »
ponfhawk, I know I have the fourth book somewhere. The third I never got because it was "Dragon Bones" rather than a wolf oriented title as all the others had been. I think I will try a used book story, because I really want to see what happens to Firekeeper and Blindseer! I'm glad someone else knows what this series is.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2015, 12:32:35 am »
Started Emily St. John Mandel's "Station Eleven".
Love it thus far (even though I had to read that women can't write SF - not sure now if I'm still allowed to love it or if that will get my man-card revoked).
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2015, 06:45:25 am »
You need to read the reply John Scalzi made to the guy who said that about a recent anthology.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:04 am »
Finished Underground In Berlin. That is possibly the best book I have ever read on the effects of war on the civilian population. Parents would definitely need to read it first and be available for discussion. Jalowicz Simon is completely honest about the things people are willing to do in order to live another day. And her descriptions of those she encounters rely distressingly on the size of their pores, noses, etc. But she is easily as critical of herself as of anyone else.

One of the great virtues of this book is that almost no one she meets is presented as all good or all bad. She shows them in all their contradictory glory, including the committed Nazis who nevertheless knowingly sheltered her as a Jew. Fortunately, given the grimness of the subject, the author did not lose her sense of humor, which lightens the darkness to some degree.

It's well worth remembering that on any given day, somewhere in the world, some fellow humans are living out some version of this situation. I highly recommend this book.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #356 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:09 pm »

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2015, 11:16:05 pm »
Finished the second of the Black Jewels. "Hui" it is dark, surreal, cruel, needs a time to find out the network of the protagonists but then you're fallen deep, deep in the story  :D
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

FedoraGirl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2015, 09:32:51 am »
Reidiwr, Ooooh nooooooo.  >D

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »
Just finished The Red-Rose Chain. The total finally makes sense. :D