Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 307241 times)

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
Found it at the library. :)

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2015, 06:47:25 pm »
Good plan!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2015, 07:58:23 pm »
Olivia Butler's been dead for years, they ought to be available in paper!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:11 pm »
I’m surprised that they are available in audio. :)
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2015, 11:01:51 pm »
Finished Anne and now am making my way, one can say progress, through Little Women.

Should have started with the latter I fear, for unlike the movie version it aged badly IMO, and doesn't fare well in comparison to the light hearted Anne. Not that it ain't fun, at times, but man is she delivering her morals with a heavy hand - not to mention, it's a wee bit too religious for my taste.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2015, 07:19:54 am »
Olivia Butler is available in PB, but Robert Galbraith is JK Rowling, so very much alive, and HB until the next title is readyto release. She is an excellent mystery writer. I heard that the one sort of literary novel she published under her own name was not really worth the trouble, but I love Cormoran Strikem

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2015, 08:36:07 am »
 :-LOVE Little Women
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2015, 05:49:14 pm »
Rowling's A Casual Vacancy suffers from lack of a protagonist. IMHO. The humour is there, the stye of writing is there, and the excellent characterisation is there. But the focal point of the story is the man who died, and how his death effects the community. The dead man, the protagonist, is missing from the narrative. Makes it a more difficult read. I was about a third of the way through when I started asking myself why I didn't like the book.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:59:29 am by Janilee »

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2015, 08:20:18 am »
That is useful information. Others have noted a lack of sympathetic characters, with the possible exception of two teenagers, but not having read it myself, I don't know firsthand how sympathetic they may or may not be.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:51 am »
Addendum:
I progressed on to Little Women book 2, and must admit that I was too rash in my judgment of the book. It becomes a remarkable funny and timeless read in this part. From Jo's experiences with criticism as a writer, to Meg's marriage and the general take on falling in love and romance - it's always nice to see how few the really important things in life have changed over time.
It's easy to see in this part why it has stood the test of time so well and went on to become a much regarded classic.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51:30 am »
 :)

White roses

• Mechanic
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:47 pm »
Rogue's Pawn
Rogue's Possession
Rogue's Paradise

Which is The Covenant of Thorns series by Jeffe Kennedy
I'd give it 4 stars.

Reidiwr

• Big Bad Wolf
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:39 pm »

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »
2015 Locus Awards Winners

Totally OT:
The name of that magazin always brings out the School Boy in me, for in Germany we use "Lokus" colloquially to say WC (or use a diminutiv of place "das Örtchen" <- see, there we find locus again).

More on Topic:
I see that there's a lot of female authors on that list, seeing how it was impossible not to note that the Hugo got heavily under fire in recent years for a lack of same I wonder, is Locus more gender blind coming to that or is this a recent development?

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
The Goblin Emperor totally deserved that win. It is an absolutely fabulous book.