Author Topic: [Mercy #8] Night Broken Speculation **Possible Frost Burned Spoilers**  (Read 54683 times)

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
Re: [Mercy #8] Night Broken Speculation **Possible Frost Burned Spoilers**
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:31:13 am »
My first thought, when reading FB yesterday, was the multiple mentions of the sobbing ghost and in turn them not complaining when it woke them up at night. It seemed like the ghosts were coming back into the story a bit more in general, really.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 09:43:52 am »
It happens to all of us, DandelionWine - I've had to shift whole passages of posts that I engaged in, sometimes even instigated, because they were off topic.  You've got a good discussion going, just keep it going in the appropriate thread, okay? ;)

I'm also wondering how far the fae/werewolf negotiations will have gotten when this opens, and what precisely they're negotiating over?  Bringing werewolves underhill? The fae informing the world that werewolves are considered allies, and attacking the werewolves will be considered the same as attacking them?  What would the werewolves be giving in exchange? 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:16 am »
I was sort of wondering if that ghost would come back into play in later books, as well.  I wondered if she might be Tad's mom. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
Oh, I hope not!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:02 am »
I think that ghost is going to crop up in the future - She caught Mercy at a weak moment and I wonder if she drew more strength and in some ways power from that? And I bet she will be troubleling Tad even though he looked excited he had a ghost in the house.

Also did anyone think that mysterious book which Adam stopped Mercy from touching to show up in the future? I got a feeling it will.

And I can't wait for Christy's appearance in the book! It was confirmed in an interview this will be the book where we will meet her!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:21 am »
More speculation drawn from a PM exchange earlier:

The other 2 (still extant) vampires in "Frost Burned":
Thomas & Wulfe (again) strike me as "I have my own agenda, I'm not telling you,
and I'll kill you without thinking too hard about it if you get in my way" types,
 really.  Wulfe is a bit... Asil, you might say.  Old & a bit unstable with that &
his magical power.  You did note the speculation that he turned Marsilia or possibly even the Master of Milan, right?

On Asil:
I'd expect Asil is on his way back to Aspen Creek too, but it is fun to speculate.
  The separation from the power plays & presumably dominant types talking with Bran
 might be good for Asil.  There might be other rogue elements or 'super patriot'
factions who will have noticed him with Armstrong, who might be trying to keep tabs
on him & find out more about weres & their power structure through seeing who he
 meets & where he goes.  Or Armstrong might ask if he can keep him around to help
troubleshoot other things, since I doubt Adam & his pack are the only targets of
this kind of nonsense.  You know how once an idea gets into the air, several
people/groups will take it up at about the same time.

Also, Asil needs something to keep him occupied now that Anna is presumably fairly
 well up to snuff on Omega abilities, needs, and etiquette in general. Being around
the Cornick guys who are all as/more dominant than he is won't help his stability,
 going out & about with lower ranked wolves might.  Getting into the habit of helping
people again might, especially since the new century AND the new political climate
mean different things than what he's been through too many times before, that he was
 musing about in Cry Wolf, perhaps.
Knowing where he stands is good, but he did mention (or Patty mentioned for him)
that it rankled when he discovered Charles to be more dominant than he is, after all.
I'm really wondering what Bran expected Asil to do in this, and how he's going to
 get back in touch with Bran... will he be lurking around the edges of Adam's pack
like Samuel?  Where's Samuel?  How will he get on with Coyote or any of the other
Primals if he meets them?  I can't but think they'll push Asil's frayed edges a bit...
 maybe even into matting into firmness again.  Odd idea, isn't it?

Next bad guy something else, sure... what if it's not so much one terrible menace
 as the synergy between two or more smaller ones?  And what if Coyote & Co. make
themselves known to the world at large as more than legends of the natives?  What
if more people wake up to "geeze, if the European legends of fae & werewolves are
true, isn't it likely that most of the other older cultures have myths based on
actual supernatural beings?  Where are they, and what are they doing?  Who are
they?  My neighbors?"  Which could lead to more nasty pogroms & prejudices & crap. 

Skepticism on the Primals "Coming out":
The Primals might not go out of their way, but they might stop being so shy, too.
As for not making waves, hello!  Coyote?  Raven?  THUNDERbird? These are all natural
 makers of waves.  Not to mention Coyote's sisters.   :D  I really want to see more
 of them! 
Well, if you're making waves behind the scenes (which most of the above do!) and get carried away, you'll knock down the scenery or be heard by the audience, at the least, and...
they'll know you're there, even if they don't see you to identify you.  And the play
suddenly has that extra dimension/removal of suspended disbelief.  As Armstrong
mentioned/proved with werewolves.  Was it Ben in wolf shape that disillusioned him of their being managable?

As far as whose best interests are served by going public, that's as much a mess
 as any other aspect of the situation, & I don't suppose most other supernatural
types have plans to go public, but I'm still thinking that there are surely going
to be people who connect the dots & say so in public.  They might be blurting
something out without thinking through the consequences, they might expect them to
be different after (inadequate/too optimistic) thought, or they might be doing so
with malice aforethought.  Or, like Coyote himself, just because they enjoy chaos.

But it's still possible that someone will take the information about existing
known Euro fae & werewolves, & the Iron Kissed lawyer's knowledge of Mercy, plus
what's happened in FB with Mercy changing in front of Armstrong, and extrapolate
publicly.  And woe betide us all at that point, I suspect.

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:55 am »
Aha! Just got into this one, too.

I kind of was suspecting this next one to take a more vampire-centric route, as well. I feel like we got a lot of backstory on the Master of Milan at the end, there.  ;D

Though it could involve the fae. I just think that unless something big changes, much of their influence is moderately tamped down.

Or perhaps it's all about Mercy getting a new car?

Would be nice to see a spring book - so far the Tri-Cities aren't getting all of their seasons, how sad...
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
Or perhaps it's all about Mercy getting a new car?

*searches Wikipedia*
Maybe Adam buys her an Eos?  (Eos=named for goddess of the dawn)

Alternatively, a Lupo might be appropriate, though not particularly relevant to the title of this book. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 09:57:35 am »
I think Marsillia should give her the car she wrecked, she could treat it as a 'throw away' thing, thus saving face, but still showing an offhand gratitude for the help Mercy was able to give her, even though it was a case of forcing her to do so.

Then, Adam could be happy that there was bullet proof security for her, and that it would be much safer than the Rabbit or the Vanagon.  And at least it is still of German descent!  Would make Zee happy too because he seems irritated by many of the VW traits of unreliability!
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 10:00:08 am »
LOL
That would be something. Still perhaps too expensive to accept.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 10:11:27 am »
I like that idea, actually, but don't see Marsilia being that nice.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:25:51 am »
Oh, she could act as if she were scraping something dirty off her shoe as she did it.  Damaged goods and all that.  It's all about saving face while still repaying a debt she owes.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 10:39:53 am »
Also, I'm really not sure I would be confident that the car wasn't sabotaged.  If I were Mercy, I sure wouldn't be driving a car I got as a gift from Marsilia. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 10:53:59 am »
Bah, between Mercy and Tad, they could be sure it wasn't either mechanically or magically any trouble at all!  I hope she gets it. 

Marsillia can act like she's tossing a crumb, and Mercy and the pack can act as if they're doing her a favor by accepting it.  All parties can feel good about it!   8)

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 11:21:12 am »
Maybe it'll be a Knight Rider crossover, Kyria.... LOL

Heh. Maybe not so much.

And no, I wouldn't trust even a crumb tossed from Marsilia if I were Mercy. Just goes to show how scary Frost was that she tag-teamed with her willingly.
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.