Author Topic: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**  (Read 70229 times)

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 04:10:25 am »
No, the Shaw thing is new. Guess we better add it to the ID card!

As for the dominance thing, I think Asil may rank higher, but he's sort of out of the regular list since he's not up for consideration for Alpha.
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2013, 05:06:42 am »
Yeah... when Mercy was talking about the various wolves/wolf packs, I took that as their standing rank wise as Alphas.  Asil is a bit like Warren IMO (in the situation between Warren and Darryl I mean).  He's stronger than a lot of wolves, though not in Bran's immediate pack, where he was surprised/irritated that Charles is more dominant then he is, but he's not interested in having a pack, so he tamps it down.  I think it makes him feel both irritated AND secure though that both Bran and Charles, and possibly even Samuel, though again there, Samuel doesn't want a pack so they are sort of equal in that way!  I'm not sure what point in Cry Wolf he said it, (at the end, in the 'wrap up' I think) but he said he has no desire to ever be an Alpha again. 

Good thing that he's very good at using good wolf etiquette because if he ever looses it and gets into a dominance fight with another Alpha, Bran will possibly/probably HAVE to go take him out.   What a mess that would be!  I'm guessing that the biggest reason he knew he could send him to the Tri-cities is that he also knew that Adam is smart and has good manners too.  Or else he was desperate! hehe, maybe he also thought it would do Asil some good to have some interesting experiences and Mercy usually sees to it that things are interesting!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:10:53 am by DandelionWine »
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 06:31:06 am »
The dominance list from Moon Called is something Mercy remembers from her childhood -- at that time, Asil had not yet arrived in the Marrok's pack, and was presumably still in Europe somewhere, so he wouldn't have been considered in that list. So... still a mystery! 

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2013, 06:37:30 am »
Ooh, good point, Katy - she had thought Asil a myth, so she hadn't known where he ranked, except on the scale of fantasy - like Santa. With sharp teeth.

I'm trying to remember, Samuel was helping Bran with talks with the fae, but was Charles, too? Or did Charles not go to the Tri-Cities for a different reason - not wanting to work with Cantrip for a bit, having another job, Bran thinking this wasn't so big a deal? Hmmm...Charles, what were you up to?

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2013, 07:17:31 am »
I don't know what Charles was up to.  More than likely it was something interesting though.  Charles and Anna always seem to have interesting things to do.  Samuel would be a good person to negotiate with the Fae though. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:38 am »
Maybe Samuel for negotiations with the fae, Charles for the Feds?  Since they're aware of him, aware that he's "higher up" than Isaac of Boston?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Fair explanation, Patti. That could be it - just talking things down post-faepacolypse to help keep both sides from freaking out (and, you know, trying to bomb each other or anything...). That would be a better job for him than Samuel or Asil any day.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
Especially if he can bring Anna along! :D

Gremore

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2013, 07:45:48 am »
So, Frostburned... WOW.

The day I bought this work was extremely quiet and for the first day ever I managed to read a book in one day... I have never taken less than 3/4 days before.
SO much happens in that book, so very amazing.

Poor Peter  :-'  He was one of my favourites since the Sword incident with Fideal... absolutely brutal him dying!

Tad - I had high hopes that he'd prove to be more than 'basically human' and hoped he'd eventually be in one of the books chipping in... As for "not really got a handle of the scary stuff" this makes me think he's secretly 'rock hard' :P

Sylvia - It was nice seeing more of that evolution and involving Tony again, I always thought there was huge scope there.

Asil - Epic as always, as soon as the door was opened I was like "huh, wouldn't it be funny if it was Asil"... brilliance.
Plus I really like the way he was described, I love how original and different he is, plus the nod to the history between him and Zee was very funny (people at work looked at me funny for smiling so much to a book).

Samuel and Bran/Fae talks - I'm glad those two weren't in it to a certain extent as it kind of forced Mercy to rely on herself and her other less (or in some cases more) powerful.
I think the reason Samuel has gone is a few fold, other than Bran he's probably one of the oldest wolves who still has full faculties, he lives with one of the ONLY Fae's the Grey Lords don't have control of, he speaks fluent Welsh and has no Pack affiliations so no drive for specific benefits for a certain area over others (which also means no pack listening in). I think he's the perfect backup for Bran in the negotiations.

As for Asil vs Adam, I think Asil is the more dominant (like Samuel was) but did the same thing as with Ben "I'm not submitting but I defer authority to you and do not wish to challenge/steal/attack your pack."

Adam point of view chapters - MORE PLEASE!! Huge hit for me, I'd love to have more of those (hugh Werewolf fan in general and these are by far some of the best incarnations!) expecially if some would be Ben? I have liked that guy for a long time now, I think he deserves some true recognition!

Info Guy, it was partially resolved as it could be something Gerry gave to someone for if he died... but I don't think that chapter is over. If we look back at all the books there is ALWAYS a cause and affect response!

Mixing up the format was very well done, it would be very easy to use the previous formulae but with this book it was the best of both worlds with Mercy helping but not specifically saving Adam and then Adam arrives to make it easier but she could have won the fight anyway :P

I expect Charles was off with Anna looking after that young girl who's been turned that was hinted at in an earlier book? Anna seems the perfect choice to look after her.

The title of the next book makes me think the Prince of Night is going to be told of Adam's transgressions and pop over for a visit... NO GOOD CAN COME OF THIS!

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 02:25:12 pm »
Alrighty, listening to the audiobook at the gym today, and got to Adam calling Elizaveta for clean-up. He mentions that witches can deal with bodies, but can't repair objects. Now, I was remembering In Red With Pearls, and Warren sees her granddaughter fix a windowpane with blood. So....is this more of that supernatural misinformation, a continuity issue, or some other breed of creature?

Hey - wasn't driving this time when stray thoughts hit me, at least  LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:18 pm »
My guess would be it's a continuity issue, although... are there ever people who have some of both kinds of power? Wizard & witch?

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:56 am »
I dunno. that's where characters like Wulfe confuse me.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »
My guess would be it's a continuity issue, although... are there ever people who have some of both kinds of power? Wizard & witch?

Good question. In that specific instance I'd guess a continuity issue. I think it's possible that someone could have two different kinds of magic. I think Charles has the ability to learn witch magic if he wanted to, which he doesn't. Too tired to flip through Cry Wolf right now and doublecheck.
So, if you had someone who was half wizard and half witch, he/she might be able to learn both kinds of magic.
In Wulfe's case, the vampire blood probably just mutated his magic enough that he can do multiple scary things. And considering the 'you are what you eat' rule for vampires, maybe he feeds off of witches every now and then.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2013, 06:55:30 am »
I dunno, I think that was more for Blackwood than anyone else, but maybe.

Temari

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • The cup is half full.
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32:19 pm »
Finally had a chance to read the book last night - loved it!!  :D

It's really fun having Asil in a Mercy book, and like Gremore I was laughing at the idea of Zee chasing him around a mountain!

I really liked the way Wulfe behaved too - unpredictable and a bit insane, but I don't think Marsilia has anyone else to rely on, so she has to have him. Now I'm guessing there's a whole load less vampires around in certain areas now, which would affect the power balance.

Humm, wonder how soon I'll have a chance to read it again....  :)