Author Topic: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**  (Read 69899 times)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »
Loved it!!!!

I was so sad about Peter  :-' .

I thought it was cool that this time Adam rescued himself when he got kidnapped (unlike in Moon Called).
I keep thinking about why Asil was switched out with Samuel. What did Bran need Samuel for that Asil couldn't do? Otherwise why did he send Asil instead of Samuel?

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »
Maybe Bran needed Samuel for something and THEN (ie, once Samuel was already out on the job) he realized he needed someone to go to Washington (state, that is).  Perhaps Charles needed a hand with something (I feel like Charles ought to be second choice for sending to help Mercy with Adam's pack, given that Adam knows Charles and the tension between him and Asil could have been avoided that way)?  Perhaps the answer will come in the form of a short story in the upcoming anthology (I can hope, right!!?)? 
As for what Samuel can do that Asil can't - regardless of the concerns recently over Samuel's state of mind, he does still have the control to work as an emergency room doctor.  He can be sent in, if need be, for bloodier or more delicate situations than Asil could manage.  He is also, as Mercy points out a few times, very good with young/new werewolves and [human] children.  AND another thing... Samuel isn't out, remember?  We can't have the feds knowing that Dr. Samuel Cornick is a werewolf, not if he wants to continue practicing medicine.  Though I'm kind of surprised that Asil is out. 

As for Adam's self-rescue, well, we can't ALWAYS have Mercy as deus ex machina.  Also, this time he had a better idea of what was affecting him, so he was better able to respond to it.  And he didn't manage it completely without Mercy's influence, after all. 

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 07:04:27 pm »
Is this the last Mercy book?  I feel like there are so many unanswered questions.  Is Mercy really going to give up the garage?  What's really going on with the fey?  Is Stephen going to recover?  Is Mercy ever going to be accepted into the pack?  Is the US really going to accept the werewolves?  What about Mercy changing in front of the Cantrip guy?  What are the consequences of those actions?  What about Tony?  Is he finally going to ask what Mercy is?  Is Marsillia going to be pissed at Mercy for killing yet another vampire?     

I'm pretty sure that one of the short stories will tell us where Samuel was because I think that Patty said that they were going to be 2 short stories on Samuel.  To be honest, I am kind of hoping for the back story of what happend when he met Ariana for at least one of them, but I don't know if we have any information about what his books are going to be about. 

I kind of get the impression that Adam and Mercy are tired of each other being in danger.  I would also really like to see Adam's view of himself change for the better.  He still thinks of himself as a monster and it is extremely frustrating. 

Did anyone catch when Adam made a comment about his change being faster?  Wonder if that is one of the gifts that Mercy was able to give him?

Also, someone made a comment about Mercy not coming to the rescue.  She didn't in the literal sense, however, she did suck the silver out of his system.  That was able to help him to be able to fight better, plus, saved his life because she felt him die. 

Just some thoughts.  Let me know what you guys think. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »
I actually got just a little hope that Asil has been able to come to terms about his mate now that she's truly at rest, possibly in part due to Anna being in Aspen Creek which has given him a leg up on some stability for what is essentially a whole new grieving process.  Also, that if he's able to venture out a little more, he's able to recover from some of the boredom of his long life and able to regain at least some interest in life.  He certainly seemed to have at least a little fun with his quips to Tad about Adam and Mercy flirting and such.  Humor is always a good sign IMO. 

While I agree Adam and Mercy may wish they had a bit more boredom, Adam is an Alpha with a pack and he's not likely to get much of a break, and they both fully know that neither one of them are in any way able to take a pass on doing their duty or ignoring something that might put either their pack or the mundanes around them at risk... so no, not too much of a break for them!  Maybe, a short story with some of the mundane stuff in their lives could be a bit fun too in it's own way.  Really though, one of the things I really like about Patties writing is she almost always has a story within the story, and a couple intermissions for some really good humor.  I don't mean that facetiously, I think it's totally great!

Oh, I noticed that about how Adam did settle the kidnapping himself, with the help of the pack at the end, but yeah, Mercy played a real supporting role in it, and stayed as low key as possible after the fact, though I suspect Warren and Daryl at least are pretty sure how much good she did them, possibly a few others too.   Thank goodness for Zee huh?  I mean, all that silver?  Would be sure to mess with her liver and kidneys at the very least, and stomach, all her organs, ya gotta figure that even though she is magic and maybe it wouldn't have killed her outright, good thing Zee was able to step in quickly, he probably saved her from a long slow and painful poisoning!  Even if she is magic enough for it not to poison her somehow, their not being able to touch for long let alone kiss?  A-W-K-W-A-R-D !

Ah, I don't think Tony is going to be too surprised about Mercy changing, she's been mistaken for some sort of supernatural creature so often and he's too good a cop not to be completely suspicious, so I bet he's relieved to have some kind of answer at last!  Not sure about the agent seeing it, she's got the protection of the Weres though, and has proven herself a real asset often enough, he might not even recognize her Coyote as being all that differen't from the wolves... sort of a close kin of some sort maybe?  ...not sure, but I bet we find out!  ...later
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 02:05:11 am »
Is this the last Mercy book?  I feel like there are so many unanswered questions. 

As to this question, Patty has said her next Mercyverse novel will be "Night Broken", a Mercy novel.
That being the case, when will the "Night Broken" speculation thread start? :-whistle
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 02:29:05 am »
Also a "By The Way", if Marsilia's bad-ass old lover is the Prince of Night, who's King?
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 03:11:16 am »
This book was excellent.  I think it is up there with Alpha and Omega and Fair Game as one of my three tied for favorite Briggs books LOL.  Heading into reread now.

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 05:32:52 am »
I am so glad that this isn't the last book.  Patty sure does like to keep us on our toes. 

DandelionWine, I know that Mercy and Adam are going to fight evil no matter what.  It really is in their nature to do so.  I just really wish that Mercy would stop getting herself hurt!  It kind of appears that Mercy brought in the change for Adam to be quicker...so why can't Adam help Mercy heal faster?  I know it's a long shot, but man, she is getting hurt way to much. 

I'm also kind of hoping that when Mercy talks to Tony that he takes it ok.  I also hope that she can build some sort of a relationship with Sylvia also.  Hopefully Sylvia has seen now that Mercy and even Adam are willing to fight for the people they care about.  I also really want a happily ever after to Tony.  He deserves it!   

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:31 am »
Is this the last Mercy book?  I feel like there are so many unanswered questions. 

As to this question, Patty has said her next Mercyverse novel will be "Night Broken", a Mercy novel.
That being the case, when will the "Night Broken" speculation thread start? :-whistle

You're behind the time, bud.  http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7304.0;prev_next=next#new
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Bean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »
I love all the new info from the signings. Since I can never go to them (authors always go to San Diego, never LA -- darn you, Mysterious Galaxy!), I love to see the notes and q&a answers after-the-fact.  :)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 07:01:44 pm »
I wonder if Bran will reveal himself as the Marrok so that all these alphabet agencies don't think they have to go around and police the werewolves. There was that brief conversation about werewolf justice that vaguely touched on Charles' part in Minnesota and Kyle talking about how much more brutal the weres justice was compared to the mundane. I was just thinking that it might soothe some ruffled feathers if they could actually see the leader of all the NA werewolves. Maybe I just want more Bran.  >D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »
On the other hand, Bran being out and known as the leader of all the NA wolves would mean revealing Aspen Creek as a werewolf epicenter, which would attract an awful lot of attention directed at his Pack and pressure on the humans of Aspen Creek as well.  Since Bran's personal pack isn't necessarily filled with the most stable of individuals, that's probably something we should avoid, even if we could eliminate the risk of Bad Guys trying to reduce the perceived werewolf "threat" by attacking them there.  Gawkers are annoying. 

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:58 pm »
 >D But fun to chase!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
Yeah, maybe, but killing them causes a ruckus, even if you eat the evidence. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:26 am »
I don't think that it would be a good idea for Bran to be "outed".  First as someone pointed out, his pack is extremely unstable.  Look at Asil in this book when he had to kill the fae that was after Mercy.  It would put Bran as a target and I hate to say this, but Bran is just to important for them to lose.  But Patty does do things that I don't expect her too all the time. 

You know, I just had a thought.  All the wolves in Adams pack think that Mercy is crazy that she isn't scared of them.  But since Mercy grew up in Aspen Creek around crazy werewolves and is still alive even after all the pranks that she pulled, I don't really think that Adams pack should wonder why she isn't scared of them.