Author Topic: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**  (Read 68207 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Re: [Mercy #7] Frost Burned Discussion **Spoilers**
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:17 am »
Oh my... on Chapter 2.  Anything I say is going to be too much of a spoiler, not a reason for it really a this point, so I'm shutting up.  It is intense so far though.  Yeah, i know spoilers are 'fair game' now, but it's just not time yet!   9)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:12:48 am by DandelionWine »
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 12:44:07 pm »
its here bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

Parents are threatening to confiscate it and lock it up (I've had my nose in it since I came home from work) so came on here to celebrate. brilliant so far, can't wait to see what happens next.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
 :D Viking burial for the Rabbit!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:45:11 pm by Elle »

YuleRule

• Tinker
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »
Just finished reading the book. The novel was too short by half! Anticipation was so long, and now I just rushed through it. I guess now its time to go more slowly and dissect everything.

I'm really happy we finally get to meet Tad onscreen. I wonder if Marsilia still hates Mercy as much as she did before. This is Mercy's fourth vampire kill (I think), and the third who was significantly powerful.
Where/when will the pack get a new submissive? I'm getting the feel that without a submissive, it would be hard for the pack to stay coherent.

Now we've seen Asil both from Anna's and Mercy's perspective.

Now I can't wait for the next book! Either Alpha & Omega or Mercy or anything in this universe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:45:35 pm by Elle »
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »
I'm wondering if Tad has glamour or not, or if he only uses a sort of mild version of it for what's discussed at the scene with the police.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
Just finished reading!  It was great!  Love it! 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »
No need for the black bars past the release date everyone. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

gingkogirl

• Tinker
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »
I got up at 5:30 am, skipped my yoga class and started reading. I finished earlier today and am pondering the events of the novel a bit. Overall, Frost Burned was a satisfying read with a lot of fun but the biggest question in my mind is, "What is Mercy going to drive now!?"

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »
Ok....so no more black bars.  I'm curious about something.  Was anyone wondering what was going on with Honey?  I thought she liked/respected Mercy.  In IK, she was the one that told Mercy about what was going on with Adam and the pack.  Now all of a sudden she doesn't like Mercy anymore?  I'm very confused. 

I am so sad to hear about Peter.  It just isn't right!  I enjoyed listening to Adam's POV.  I also glad that this whole mess didn't turn into an all out war with the US Government. 

Tony and that government guy (can't remember his name) saw Mercy change into a coyote.  Is it now time to tell Tony what Mercy is? 

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:25 pm »
Unlike Fair Game, which WOULD NOT download at midnight and I had to stay up an extra hour just to get it... FB downloaded at ten 'til. 
'course, I didn't have anything better to do than read FG right away, and I sadly had to take a break to sleep and go to work.

Anyway.  A few thoughts.

I am constantly surprised when werewolves choose to live in apartments or condos.  I mean, I know Samuel is generally the gregarious type but I'm a mere human (and I have a parrot who isn't all that quiet, except as parrots go), and there were certain times when the noises my neighbors made were enough to make me fantasize about physical harm coming to them. (ETA: even in my current house, which is not connected to neighbors and has TREES!  :-LOVE in the backyard, my neighbors sometimes make enough noise to tick me off... or at worst make me feel vaguely claustrophobic).  So I was surprised that he chose a condo.  and sad that he wasn't actually a player in this book. 

But we did get Asil... though I didn't think his personality came through as clearly in this book as it does in the A&O books.  Part of that, of course, was the uncertainty with him and Adam, with Asil being outside of his own territory.  Asil and everyone else knows where he stands in Bran's pack... and what he can get away with. 

BTW... did we ever get a really solid confirmation of who won out in the world of "Bigger, Badder Wolves: Adam Hauptman v. Asil the Moor"?  I kind of picked up a suspicion that whether by pretending (as Charles suggested that Asil sometimes does), by virtue of Adam's being an Alpha, or simply because Adam is just that BA, Adam came out on top.  But I don't think it's ever spelled out specifically. 

And speaking of the dominance question, this brings up something I've been wondering about for quite some time.  Bran is obviously pretty darn BA.  He can keep a lid on ALL of the wolves of an entire continent.  That takes some serious mojo.  Charles says in Cry Wolf that even Bran can't truly force him to do anything; which tells me that he's pretty darn close to Bran's equal (for comparison, Adam seems capable of laying some real smack-down on Darryl).  My personal feeling is that Samuel may be even closer to Charles's equal.  Asil was shocked to find that Charles is truly more dominant than he himself is... but we dont' know how closely ranked they really are, of course.  Adam knows Samuel outranks him, but he seems pretty tightly packed into this knot, as well, and as I mention above, I've got something of a suspicion that Asil has fitted himself into this puzzle as the Fifth-ranking werewolf in all of North America.  So, now that I've established my facts... I keep wondering how many wolves are in this tightly-packed knot at the top, or whether there's a break after a certain number of individuals.  Not necessarily between #5 and #6.  But somewhere close there. 

Anyways, back to our regularly-scheduled programing. 
LOVED the Adam POV moments.

And I do hope that Bran transplants a new submissive into Adam's pack.  (though the thought that just jumped to mind was "oooh, we could suggest that in the meantime Adam's pack could borrow Anna!" just because I think I'd be amused by Charles's reaction to that.) 

Oh... and Ben just keeps getting better and better, doesn't he? 

marci - Honey and Mercy have had a bit of an up-and-down (but mostly down) relationship.  It's been on the downswing particularly since the fight with Mary Jo and Paul and Henry.  And Honey just lost her mate; it's making her particularly temperamental.  Consider things from Honey's perspective:
She's a dominant wolf mated to a submissive. The submissive is meant to be protected at all costs.  Mercy is a coyote - not even a wolf! - that Honey doesn't particularly care for (for multiple reasons that basically come down to personality conflict and prejudices) and mated to the Alpha.  And whose mate came home safe (yet again)?  Mercy-the-coyote's.  AND Mercy got to help Adam, as she has before.  Honey was totally helpless to defend Peter. 
It doesn't make me like Honey any better, but I can see her perspective. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:33:14 pm by Kyria »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 08:49:56 pm »
I'm going to post my thoughts tomorrow but the noise thing about Sam. I think it makes sense he's in the condo. In Moon Called Mercy states she has to sleep with the radio on low to get some rest because of the quiet noise which was distracting. And Arianna may feel comfortable and safer in the city than in the country side and I can see Sam wanting her to be happy and he's a carefree sort.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 09:13:58 pm »
I'm going to post my thoughts tomorrow but the noise thing about Sam. I think it makes sense he's in the condo. In Moon Called Mercy states she has to sleep with the radio on low to get some rest because of the quiet noise which was distracting. And Arianna may feel comfortable and safer in the city than in the country side and I can see Sam wanting her to be happy and he's a carefree sort.
Mercy turns on the radio to create a consistent low-level noise to cover the changeable background noises, not to cover the quiet.  Earplugs created too much quiet, because then she couldn't hear at all so she felt she couldn't hear trouble, either.  But if you live too close together, if you have neighbors who don't have the same schedule as you, they're going to CREATE distracting background noise.  We (humans) learn to sleep through the majority of normal, regular sounds of our own homes (like a family member who snores, loud ventilation, normal traffic noise)... but other humans like to cause unpredictable noises that can disturb our rest.  For instance, people with loud radios.  Or people thundering up and down the stairs outside your door at all hours.  That one neighbor with the diesel truck he sometimes parks outside your window.  The neighbors downstairs who apparently didn't realize how thin the walls were and really needed to keep it in their own personal Naughty Corner.  And so on. 

I have a hard time comprehending the city-dweller mentality, I have to admit. 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 09:24:38 pm »
Sorry I meant that LOL  its 5.22 in the morning and my brain is not in gear but I think if Sam isn't bothered by that its not a huge issue where he lives. And I suspect he lived in a cramped apartment in Texas when he pretended to be a poor student.  So he must be used to living in the cities - and I am a city dweller and you just tune it out- I live close to a railway line and tube so you can imagine the ambient noise at times!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 10:39:27 pm »
Well, there's living in cramped housing because you have to or because you have good reason (posing as a poor college student/med student is good reason IMO)... and then there's living in cramped housing when you have other options available.

I can sleep through trains, no problem.  I live close to the tracks now, and I did in Missouri, too. Cars, now... I can't sleep with the windows open because every time a car goes by, it jolts me awake. 

Bean

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 11:00:13 pm »
Just finished a little while ago and am still processing.

I have one question. Did we ever find out who the info-guy was? I feel like Cantrip was to a certain extent but there were somethings they wouldn't have known, like the info about the drugs, especially.

Anyway, I was surprised by Honey's hostility as well. I thought she and Mercy were developing a strange, kind of fragile bond. Mercy doesn't have any female friends, really, I thought Honey especially would be an interesting one since they seem to be polar opposites.

Although I did find it really interesting that a big dilemma for Honey is that she doesn't want to be dominant and she actually wanted the low status in the pack that being Peter's mate gave her.

Peter.  :-'