Author Topic: Thanks for the first chapter  (Read 17817 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Thanks for the first chapter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
I agree, metal splinters are also ridiculously painful for their size.  However, among my possessions is a large neodymium magnet.  It's powerful enough that I suspect that if I ever set it on a metal surface it would be impossible to remove.  On the other hand, it's wonderful for steel filings in the fingertips.  It vacuums them out like magic.
Where's my super-suit?

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03:52 pm »
I moved to ebooks for that reason, Mike.  The Navy couldn't say anything about the number of them, and they're so much easier to organize.
For wood splinters try holding the skin open a little and put some glue (not super or gorilla glue!) on top, let it set while holding the skin apart, then peel carefully.
Paper cuts are just evil.  HATE them.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:33 pm »
So, now that we've shifted from 'thanks for the first chapter' to 'splinters and cuts', how about fiberglass in the skin?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:04 pm »
Ductape, which could work for a wood splinter if it's close enough to the surface.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Fiberglass-Slivers-from-Your-Skin
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 01:41:26 am »
Ductape, which could work for a wood splinter if it's close enough to the surface.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Fiberglass-Slivers-from-Your-Skin

I could have used that information for prom night.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 05:12:57 am »
Janilee, start telling that tale somewhere.  I wanna hear it!

Mike, if you or your lovely wife ever start to doubt my gratitude just say so. I figure the constant fan girl *squee* from one person would get annoying, so I try to keep it under wraps most of the time.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 08:09:26 pm »
Metal slivers don't bother me that much. As a matter of fact I still have one that has been under my thumbnail going on three years now. Fortunately it is stainless steel from braided wire.

We have a Lambs Ear cactus in the front yard that is like getting fiberglass on your skin, I found Elmer's white glue spread and left to dry worked better than duct tape. As it drys it moistens the skin making the fibers come out easier.

I think there is no doubt about my fan boydom...if I wasn't going to Ireland on March 11th, I would ride to San Diego the 7th after taking the day off from work.
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

juliebanderob

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 12:48:57 pm »
couple of things you can do for fiberglass (3 years ago my daughter was at a water park and got them in her hand from a slide, she was 4 at the time and it was HORRIBLE)  you can roll up tape and if you can figure out the direction they are in go and gently wipe that across the area to catch the fiberglass splinters.  Take a warm bath or soak in warm water (opens up the pours) and some of the fiberglass will come out.  Other than that...time.  It took about a week for my daughter to get them all out (her hand looked like it was dipped in glitter when light hit it just right).  your body will force out the pcs it just stinks while it is doing it.   We ended up in the ER for this cause we didn't know what to do.  We originally thought she was just tired so was being a typical over tired kid till I caught a glimpse of her palm in the right light.

julie