Author Topic: Sandy Williams  (Read 6647 times)

octobersometimes

• Tool Wrangler
Sandy Williams
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
Have any of you checked out Sandy Williams? She's a newer UF author who write about the Fae.

I found her on Fantastic Fiction via a recommendation on Seanan McGuire's page and I love her books. I read both of them back to back and am anxiously awaiting the third installment.

http://sandy-williams.com/books/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:24:39 pm by octobersometimes »

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
Re: Sandy Williams
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:16 am »
Interesting, I ordered a sample for the kindle.

Thanks.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:18:46 am »
Looks tempting. :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:30:14 pm »
Could we get some genre information, of the sort you see at the start of other author's threads, please?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »
I've read both books - Sandy Williams writes UF about Fae and humans who can see and track them down.
This is the blurb for the first book! The Shadow Reader!

There can only be one allegiance.
It’s her time to choose.

Some humans can see the fae. McKenzie Lewis can track them, reading the shadows they leave behind. But some shadows lead to danger. Others lead to lies.

A Houston college student trying to finish her degree, McKenzie has been working for the fae king for years, tracking vicious rebels who would claim the Realm. Her job isn’t her only secret. For just as long, she’s been in love with Kyol, the king’s sword-master—and relationships between humans and fae are forbidden.

But any hope for a normal life is shattered when she’s captured by Aren, the fierce and uncompromising rebel leader. He teaches her the forbidden fae language and tells her dark truths about the Court, all to persuade her to turn against the king. Time is running out, and as the fight starts to claim human lives, McKenzie has no choice but to decide once and for all whom to trust and where she ultimately stands in the face of a cataclysmic civil war.

I really enjoyed The Shadow Reader but was very disappointed in the second book, The Shattered Dark.

I found the re-emergence of the love triangle, very frustrating. And I get that Mac is still keen with Oren, I just hated how this trope cropped up by using the mating trope which felt so forced. I also felt the main plot got over-shadowed by this.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

octobersometimes

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »
Could we get some genre information, of the sort you see at the start of other author's threads, please?

Sorry about that, it's fixed.

Has, I agree with you about liking the first book more than the second however I did liked the fact that Kyol didn't instantly get over Mackenzie (I was afraid the author would make him and Lena fall in love so everything could be tied up neatly) and I still have hopes that the third book with resolve the life-bond somehow without dragging out the love triangle unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:25:25 pm by octobersometimes »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:02:53 am »

Sorry about that, it's fixed.

Has, I agree with you about liking the first book more than the second however I did liked the fact that Kyol didn't instantly get over Mackenzie (I was afraid the author would make him and Lena fall in love so everything could be tied up neatly) and I still have hopes that the third book with resolve the life-bond somehow without dragging out the love triangle unnecessarily.

I don't think it will be that neatly with Lena - but I am afraid the love triangle  will drag. I really felt this book was very clumsy with it and I wanted some real development with the romance. Because with a lot of books that feature the love triangle. So much time is developing that with the romance when the heroine finally chooses - although I am glad Mac is very determined to get through with Oren. But I just felt it was a forced obstacle to drag this plot :S - I also dont have a good feeling for Kyol's survival.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D