Author Topic: First Aid & the Good Samaritan  (Read 20593 times)

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
First Aid & the Good Samaritan
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:50:40 pm »
Hi Mike, thank you for the giggles. I got ANOTHER warning about laughing loudly in the campus library, though, so PLEASE warn us next time when you're going to indulge in your funny side...

Btw, I am told that daughters are a father's punishment from the Fates...because he's always worried that his little girl will someday be meeting a young man just like he used to be when he was that young...

Sorry, Sir, you've got only yourself to blame...
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
Re: First Aid & the Good Samaritan
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:32:56 am »
Mike, it's not just daughters, it's sons too!  LOL

Nice work on the house and pump house.  Looking real good!  :) You have every right to be proud!  :D

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Jabulani

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:45:59 am »
Is it now? Well, I suppose you're right, CK...my granny always insisted that at least half of her gray hair can be blamed on my escapades.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:53:23 am »
The tendency, although not the absolute, is that girls are less trouble in their younger years. And from my perspective boys are trouble forever. LOL

That shaped porch is lovely. And you no longer have the Darwin experiment. LOL

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »
My favorite roommate had a similar situation. 
She smashed her finger while building a set for a theater production.  She came home and asked me if I thought it was broken, reasoning that I was a biologist and therefore somehow qualified to magically identify broken bones.  (Admittedly, I had gotten some pretty intense first aid training that summer... and I even know both how to locate a human trachea and that I'm in no way qualified to cut into one.  But I'm an ecologist.  My first aid knowledge is aimed at stabilizing an individual in a remote location.)
I told her she should get it X-rayed if she was concerned, but we agreed that they would probably just splint it even if it was broken. 
So she splinted it herself with a spoon.  And wound up with a skin lesion that wouldn't heal.  So she came back to me to ask what she should do about it, and again ignored my "go see a professional!" advice. She doesn't trust doctors, for admittedly pretty good reasons, but that still doesn't qualify your college roommate to treat your medical problems. 
After two weeks, I had her boyfriend kidnap her and take her to see his dad, who was a retired doctor, and he took her to see a practicing doctor.  It took two months to clear up the infection and heal the stupid finger.  Which was never broken in the first place.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »
Btw, I am told that daughters are a father's punishment from the Fates...because he's always worried that his little girl will someday be meeting a young man just like he used to be when he was that young...

I'd like to protest, and say that I was a respectable young man with pure motives.  But, honesty compels me to admit that I was first attracted to Patty because she was hot.  Only later did I learn that she was also everything I had ever hoped to find in a companion and wife.  Still, I keep the gun collection clean and the backhoe running, and content myself that I've done all that I can.   O)

I will say that every time one of our kids expresses a romantic interest in someone, my temptation is to grab my semaphore flags and start screaming, "Pull up! Pull up! Wave off! Abort! Abort! Abort!".   I've considered the possibility that I may be overprotective, particularly of our daughters, but after due deliberation I've rejected that hypothesis.  They've simply failed to produce a specimen of humanity I deem worthy of their attention.   8)
Where's my super-suit?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »
Kyria: What a harrowing experience!  While I'm sure that your roommate had a reason to distrust doctors, they sure beat the various home-grown medical experts dispensing advice out there.

And I agree with you, that I could locate a trachia (without cutting through the carotid and the jugular on the way in), and I even know where you're supposed to make the incision for a tracheotomy.   I STILL hope that I never have to do it -- I don't want to be explaining to some guys widow that I "just slipped" with the knife.   :o

Thanks for the compliments guys! 
Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »

Is that what you meant?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 05:56:42 pm »
LOL
My dad takes an interesting view towards my dating.  See, I make friends with all kinds of people and one of the few fights that he's learned not to start is the "I don't want you spending time with this person" argument.  But when it comes to dating, I'm way pickier than my dad and he knows it.  He's more worried that I'll never find a guy at all then that I'll spend any significant time dating a loser.  It's really annoying, actually.  He could at least pretend to be worried that some jerk will break my heart.

Jabulani

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:42 pm »

I'd like to protest, and say that I was a respectable young man with pure motives.  But, honesty compels me to admit that I was first attracted to Patty because she was hot.  Only later did I learn that she was also everything I had ever hoped to find in a companion and wife.  Still, I keep the gun collection clean and the backhoe running, and content myself that I've done all that I can.   O)

I will say that every time one of our kids expresses a romantic interest in someone, my temptation is to grab my semaphore flags and start screaming, "Pull up! Pull up! Wave off! Abort! Abort! Abort!".   I've considered the possibility that I may be overprotective, particularly of our daughters, but after due deliberation I've rejected that hypothesis.  They've simply failed to produce a specimen of humanity I deem worthy of their attention.   8)

Mike, even I can honestly say that Patty is hot, & I'm as queer as an English lord...

I suppose that reaction is simply natural. Whether boys or girls, they're YOUR kids & surely no one in the world can ever be worthy of YOUR kids. And to make it even worse for the kids in question, that is what they'll remain till Kingdom come in their parents' eyes...

I do agree with Janilee, though, that girls generally do not seem to get into as much trouble as boys when they're still kids. That might just be the reason why parents seem to be slightly (not completely, just slightly) less worried about who their boys hook up with - after all, any girl is pretty okay, in comparison with boys  :D

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:53 am »
Still, I keep the gun collection clean and the backhoe running, and content myself that I've done all that I can.   O)
I once mentioned having seen a bumper sticker saying "Please Don't P**s Me Off I'm Running Out Of Places To Hide The Bodies".
Someone asked me not to repeat it.
They found it too believable.
Me?
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 12:55:37 am »
Hey, girls get into just as much trouble as boys.  Girls tend to be a little bit more subtle about it, and that tricks people into thinking we're not causing as much trouble. 
Don't look at me, I ran with the boys and was known for a violent temper and a tendency to go missing (in my defense, I was never aware that my parents thought I was missing until I got found and yelled at). But I did know other girls. 

Jabulani

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 05:27:56 am »
Hey, girls get into just as much trouble as boys.  Girls tend to be a little bit more subtle about it, and that tricks people into thinking we're not causing as much trouble. 
Don't look at me, I ran with the boys and was known for a violent temper and a tendency to go missing (in my defense, I was never aware that my parents thought I was missing until I got found and yelled at). But I did know other girls.

LOL LOL LOL  That sounds like my favourite excuse: "But Granny, if the pie wasn't for me, why was it sitting on the windowsill for?"

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:40 am »
I once mentioned having seen a bumper sticker saying "Please Don't P**s Me Off I'm Running Out Of Places To Hide The Bodies".
Someone asked me not to repeat it.
They found it too believable.
Me?

Write faster, Patty, I'm going to need to pour more foundations soon!   8) LOL
Where's my super-suit?

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:01 am »
 LOL LOL