Author Topic: Red Dwarf on BBC  (Read 5850 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Red Dwarf on BBC
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:40:33 am »
Has anyone seen this TV show? It looks quite cheesy, but I'm wondering if it is any good. The old Doctor Who looked cheesy, too.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Red Dwarf on BBC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:19 am »
It's brilliant in a stupid way.  Which is one of the things they play.
The main characters are Dave Lister, who didn't really belong on the crew, sort of a "marines or reform school" choice; Rimmer, who was an uptight screwed up authoritarian wannabe who died, so he's (through the first several seasons) a hologram.  That's why he has the silver H on his forehead.
Then there's Cat, who is the mutated (Lister's been in suspended animation for two million years due to a radiation accident which, yes, he caused) offspring many generations later of the pregnant cat Lister smuggled aboard; Holly, the ship's computer, who shows generally as a head in a tank, and Creighton, an android.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:36:04 am »
Red Dwarf X starts Thursday on Dave  - it does take a certain type of sense of humour, but they wouldn't have brought it back if there weren't enough people who liked it.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:33 am »
I'm totally unfamiliar with the series - I've just seen still pics of it in the scifi meme Set Phasers to Lol
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 01:35:09 pm »
I still love this show, although I haven't had a TV or seen it all for years.