Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 94899 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion
« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:11 pm »
I'm re-reading Hunting Ground and I just realized this.

In one of the earlier stories (A&O or maybe CW), Anna describes Charles's change as beautiful (although he states that it still hurts).  Normally when he changes slow or "bad" like other weres, it's because he's injured or exhausted or both.  But when he changes from wolf to human when they're checking out the scene where the little boy was found, he changes fast but the humans seem disgusted, horrified, and train-wreck fascinated. 

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »
Could that be the difference between a human's perspective and a werewolf's perspective? Anna knows how bad it can be. Charles relatively easy change would seem to her to be beautiful. A person who has never been through the painful change, and who has never seen the body change, might look upon it in a different way.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »
Perhaps. 

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2012, 04:57:36 am »
That is a good point Janilee.  I think becoming a werewolf would skew the way a person looks at certain things.  While to a non werewolf the shift would probably be frightening to see because someone is becoming a "monster", to another wolf there would probably be shades of attraction to it based on the strength and power of the one changing. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2012, 08:41:34 am »
Or it could have been she was referring to Charles himself.  Or it could be an author continuity error, which I suspect.  I'z suspicious. ;D
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #230 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:29 am »
I think there were a couple of things going on there -- one was that in Fair Game, Charles had done a lot of changing back and forth, and was perhaps a bit reluctant to be in human form at that moment, only changing because he needed to be able to speak to the detectives.  So that change was maybe slower and more graphic than his usual change.  The other thing, though, was that the earlier change Kyria's referring to was in the other direction.  It's right near the end of A&O, when Charles wakes up in the safe room after having been wounded.  He changes to wolf, and it's described as "like a blanket of red fur the change rolled up his body" -- going to human wouldn't have the advantage of fur appearing to obscure the more gory parts.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #231 on: December 08, 2012, 10:39:37 am »
That's a good point about the fur, Katy. 

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2012, 10:53:14 am »
Good points all around.

Also, you are inspiring me to reread.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:40 am »
Or it could have been she was referring to Charles himself.  Or it could be an author continuity error, which I suspect.  I'z suspicious. ;D

I'm with Patti.  LOL :-whistle A certain author just had to re-read her whole series because she couldn't remember all sorts of details.  Also, bless the forums and the canon pages, for without them this story would be more contradictory than Lost or The Matrix.   So far, most of the inconsistencies have been minor, thank goodness.
Where's my super-suit?

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2012, 10:46:16 am »
I've updated the Continuity section of the WeresFAQ. :)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:36 pm »

I'm with Patti.  LOL :-whistle A certain author just had to re-read her whole series because she couldn't remember all sorts of details.  Also, bless the forums and the canon pages, for without them this story would be more contradictory than Lost or The Matrix.   So far, most of the inconsistencies have been minor, thank goodness.
Fortunately (as you can see here) minor continuity discrepancies are often discussed, dissected, and then satisfactorily justified by us. :)

ScarlettPepper

• Tool Wrangler
  • Hello there , am just a college student with no $
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
I agree though it may be just me but I dont see the errors sometimes when I read unless it's a huge one , and with Fair Game agree that he had been under a lot of stress I think if not then it would be more of the Shaman side that make it simpler to change and that's something that helps both Anna and Charles.

Like the time from On the Prowl story with Charles going into the bathroom and coming back out as wolf and Anna says she didn't even hear him change.

Melanie

• Tinker
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2021, 03:13:54 am »
On a slightly different topic, is Gwyn ap Lugh a "real" fairy? (By that, I mean is he someone who can be found in current faery lore, like Baba Yaga, or is he a persona of Patty's own creation?) Also, what was the significance of the 59 black horses?

Lugh and Gwyn ap Lugh are real!
The 59 horses could be part of the Wild Hunt.

Lugh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugh
Lludd was probably another form for the name Nudd:
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/welsh.html#Nudd
Alistair Beauclaire, Gwyn ap Lugh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwyn_ap_Nudd
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/welsh.html#Gwynn
Wild Hunt lead by Hern the Hunter or Gwyn ap Nudd:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt