Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 99220 times)

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »
I remember that the judge kept a guard between herself and Charles, Anna, and any of the fae, including Lizzie, while they were testifying.
So she was of the same mind as the jury. I thought her fear of Lizzie was especially telling. Charles, okay, I can see that. Anna...maybe...if all you knew was that she was a werewolf and hadn't personally spoken to her. But Lizzie was on crutches, walking with a severe limp, with scars all over her. Yeah. Real scary. I'm with y'all, I hope the judge and jury bite the dust sometime soon. I doubt they even paid attention to the fact that some of the victims were human, and if they did, they probably blamed the deaths on Benedict, and maybe Travis. People can convince themselves of just about anything.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:16:26 pm by Elle »
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2012, 05:01:40 pm »
Since Frost Burned will take place at least partly in Boston, we may see some of that kind of fall out.  Should be interesting from that standpoint too.

Oh!  I just remembered, Leslie & her boss, Nick Salvatore know that it was Adam and "mostly his wife" killed the River Devil, so I wonder what they'll be expecting from those two when they arrive?  Plus the fact that Adam called in someone "higher up" means not only that he's got higher ups, but he has enough pull with them to get someone(s) of Anna & Charles' caliber called in to replace him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:16:43 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2012, 05:07:32 pm »
I predict that at least one person will wildly underestimate Mercy, especially if they're mentally comparing her to the werewolves. Maybe not Leslie or Nick, but someone else.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:16:54 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »
I consider that a "gimme", Kkat; at least one person in every book does that.  Preferably the bad guys, of course...  ;)

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
I'd like to see a book where the opposition overestimates Mercy start to finish.

P.O.P.
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »
I consider that a "gimme", Kkat; at least one person in every book does that.  Preferably the bad guys, of course...  ;)

Why do you think I made the prediction? I have a 99.999% chance of being right! LOL

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:52 am »
If you stop and think about it, everyone thinks that Mercy is either a werewolf or a fae.  She denies being either one of them.  I wonder why everyone underestimates her when they all think that.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2012, 09:41:27 am »
Not everyone; there are many people who don't know that she is supernatural at all, just that she hangs out with werewolves and at least 2 fae, Zee & Tad.

Temari

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • The cup is half full.
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:56 am »
I think a lot of people DO suspect that Mercy is fae, though, due to the company she keeps. I wonder if that might lessen though, now she's married Adam? Because people look at someone who is friends with loads of wolves, etc and thinks "Why?" But then they look at someone who's dating / married to one and thinks "Oh, they have a thing for wolves and are friends with all the others because their lover is".

Back to Fair Game - that was a good point about the judge - first that she was overly scared and second that she didn't act against the jury in any way. So ok, add her to the oathbreaker pot.

Humm, another thought on that - I wonder if any strings were pulled to get that particular judge?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:17:08 pm by Elle »

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:11 am »
I am willing to bet that if Bran decides to do further investigating that the jury was bought off and the judge was part of some anti werewolf/fae organization.  In some states, judges are elected officials.  It appears that in Boston, werewolves/fae aren't accepted.  Remember how many times it was mentioned that the werewolves were having problems with the police?

I am actually a paralegal and my boss is also a Magistrate (a partime judge).  She tells me that in jury trials, it is extremely rare for a judge to overrule a jury.  It also causes more problems if the judge does do that, especially in the appeals process.  Therefore, most judges avoid doing it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:17:23 pm by Elle »

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2012, 07:16:02 am »
Just think, we now have a year to find out what's happening next.  Argh!!!  Way too long! :(

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:44 am »
How the Judge was an oathbreaker. First, the bailiff between her and the supernatural witness', It was prejudgual to jury. In modern court room almost impossiable to do, because most court rooms I've been in the witness stand is attached to the Bench. Secondly allowing the Minnesota photos to used as evidentance in this trail, because those photos have no relievance to the Boston crimes. Minnesota was never in the Big game hunter's terrories for hunting. Thirdly, By Allowing he made me defense, Has never been an aceptable in all of Americian Jurispurdence.

The D.A. was an oathbreaker because he never made a motion to have the judge recussed or had  motion to exculed th Minnesota photos. Plus I don't think he give his best to try the case.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:17:42 pm by Elle »
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:59 am »
We don't know that the prosecutor didn't try to get a change of judge, that section was fairly short.  He or she - or they, given the size of the case - may very well have done so.  The Minnesota photos... I'll have to re-read.  I'm not sure I recall those being there.  If they were, it would have been something the defense would have argued as relevant as showing what the three of them were supposedly "defending the country from". 

It's still a specious argument, though, as you say.  If the country needed to be defended from werewolves or fae, it should be done by governmental agencies under oversight of civilian authorities, just like FBI, CIA, HS, or any other governmental armed body, not by loonies in secret.  The fact that they kept it secret proves they knew it was wrong.

Personally, and almost as a separate issue, I think somebody should wake up and say "Excuse me?  There have been werewolves and fae and such here since before there was a USA; just like the 'Indians', so why should we need to be protected from them any more than we are from the other natives?  Why should we have to legislate their citizenship status?  This is - especially for werewolves - just like legislating AIDS, because it's not something most were born with, it happened to them, mostly against their will."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:17:55 pm by Elle »

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2012, 09:04:28 am »
Page 284 Second paragraph Patti
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:15 am »
Good catch.  I stand by what I think the reasoning was for allowing it.