Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 99163 times)

YuleRule

• Tinker
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2012, 05:10:00 am »
I was curious about one thing, though. When they break into the bunker and find Lizzie, it is mentioned that steel is not as resistant to fae magic as iron, and when Alistar opens the door, it is specifically mentioned that the doorknob is aluminum, leading me to believe that he is probably one of the fae sensitive to iron. Yet, at the end, he uses his sword to behead Heuter. So the sword couldn't have been made of iron.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:07:34 pm by Elle »
Please Check These Out!

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2012, 08:13:05 am »
Swords have been made of many things, not just steel and iron. 
Titanium, for instance, might be a good choice.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:56 am »
Archaeologically there are bronze (pardon me) copper alloy swords.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
Bespelled wood would also be a possibility one might think. Or perhaps a steel sword with a some kind of insulating in the handle?
Or even a modern day aluminium one?

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2012, 09:09:12 am »
Maybe Janilee can't say bronze, but I can; Many thousands of people have been killed with bronze swords through history.  It's still harder than human flesh and bone.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2012, 09:27:33 am »
Wasn't his dagger silver? So maybe the sword is too?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:07:48 pm by Elle »

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
Wasn't his dagger silver? So maybe the sword is too?
It was? I don't remember that, but I sort of devoured the book very quick so some details may have escaped me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:07:58 pm by Elle »

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2012, 01:50:55 pm »
I assumed that the Fae succession was Beauclaire's backup plan in case the verdict came back not guilty. Remember, his law firm, which Charles suspected to be all-Fae, looked as if it was all packing up.  It seemed to me that the Fae had already reached an agreement on what would happen if justice was not served. 

As far as the prince thing, what little I know of Faery mythology, the "courts" (both Seely and Unseely) seem to have a great deal in common with, say the Elizabethan court.  Monarchy may be absolute, but there is a huge amount of jockeying for power behind the scenes.  So, ministers or high ranking aristocrats can wield a huge amount of influence, even over the "royal" family.  However, insults or injuries to that family, especially from outsiders, would have grave ramifications which would overshadow most political maneuvering.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:08:08 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2012, 05:32:46 pm »
Jenniwee, you may be right, although my opinion is that even if the case had come out with real justice, not only was Beauclaire leaving the firm, but most of the other fae members of that law firm moving on, probably assuming new identities, with the 'not aging' issue, like werewolves, with the attention on him from the case, and the anti-fae prejudices already in place, there's a good chance the firm was - in the three months from when Beauclaire was outed, if he hadn't been before - losing business because they had him on staff, a senior partner.  There was probably a lot of suspicion that there were other fae in the company.  Since that was indeed the case, it made sense for them to disband the firm and reform or spread elsewhere under other identities for the next twenty to forty years.  They might go through law schools again, or they might forge papers or they might go into other fields.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:08:22 pm by Elle »

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2012, 06:13:01 pm »
This kind of makes me wonder if there if all the fey have to go to the reservations.  Couldn't they all take new identities and not reregister with the government?  They could just take new identities and infiltrate the government so that it doesn't necessarily go to a full out war between humans and the fey.  Especially since Uncle Mike said in Blood Bound that the humans could wipe the fae out if needed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:08:33 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2012, 06:25:03 pm »
Especially since Uncle Mike said in Blood Bound that the humans could wipe the fae out if needed.
but...this was before we found out that they'd re-established links to Underhill... and I got the impression that was a fairly recent development.  Which may be a game-changer, because they can access greater power there...
But I do think that it's very possible that they're not *all* going back to the reservations.  I can't see the Gray Lords pulling everyone out of human-land.  And even those who do, I agree... change glamour, suddenly "human again!"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:08:50 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2012, 06:54:58 pm »
Still just my opinion, but yes and no.
There are already fae in government, we know that from previous books, and I don't think the fae are going to give up that advantage.  Which I already said.

There are ways of figuring out if someone is fae, though.  Start by simply handing around something of iron at every meeting.  It's not 100%, because there are a few like Zee who aren't burned by it, but it would be a start.

Make an alliance - or just pay an obscene amount of money - to get werewolves to work for you as fae detectors; they can smell if someone is fae or not.   :-whistle Of course, that requires that you trust the werewolves in question...

Then there are questions of things like "is the fae in question so low power that the Grey Lords don't bother with them?  Are they high powered so they can buck the 'order'?  Have they been placed as spies/moles/sleepers deliberately?"  I can't help thinking that beings that routinely may live a millennium or more make long plans.  What about the part fae in this, too?  They can touch iron with no problem, usually, so that won't give them away, but will they be disposed to help the full blooded fae, given how those treat the part-bloods?  Could the US government suborn some part bloods to spy the other direction because of that?  >D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:09:06 pm by Elle »

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »
 Silver Short Sword
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:09:17 pm by Elle »
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2012, 08:05:11 pm »
What about the part fae in this, too?  They can touch iron with no problem, usually, so that won't give them away, but will they be disposed to help the full blooded fae, given how those treat the part-bloods?  Could the US government suborn some part bloods to spy the other direction because of that?  >D

That seems plausable to me. In fact, I'm sure there are  part-faes who highly resent their fae parents, especially those who were abandoned by said parents. It did mention that many of the fae did abandon their half fae children.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:09:38 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »
Exactly!  And,even if they weren't abandoned, they weren't treated well by other fae.

Actually, a new question has just occurred to me; are there other part fae out there who don't know they're part bloods, who might know and cause other problems like Benjamin and his uncle & cousin, whether out of malice, "need", or ignorance?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:09:50 pm by Elle »