Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 95318 times)

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »
Ginko--I think that's a rather common Welsh name, plus, I got the feeling that the walking stick Lugh was dead and not Grey Lord kind of powerful.  OK, just read that again.  He calls himself "ap Lugh" which, if i understand my ancient naming traditions, means he is the son of Lugh.  So, maybe the son of the walking stick Lugh?

And, omg, did not see that ending.  "Interesting times" indeed.

I think this may actually be Patty's best book ever.  All the others were completely spectacular but in this one, every note was spot on.

First off, just to get it out of the way, I didn't see Beauclaire's declaration as being one of war.  I thought more of the US-Iran relationship or, perhaps, US-USSR during the Cold War; enmity but not (yet) open hostility.

I really hope we get to learn who made the promises to the Fae.  Two hundred years, just at or after the founding of America.  Am I wrong thinking Founding Father?  Surely there were some Scots or Welsh among them, though why would they issue such an invitation?  True spirit of universal rights and freedoms?  Hoping to strengthen a new nation?  I got the feeling that the oath held them to honor the authority of the government, so it seems that bringing them over would have served some purpose that the swearee would feel to benefit the country.

I do hope we get to see more of Leslie and Goldstein.  I love how Patty used the various Feds to demonstrate how disparate the attitudes of the different branches of law enforcement are.  I do wish we had seen more of Leslie's thoughts as her opinion of weres changed over the course of the investigation.  I was really expecting to see some sort of partnership between Charles and Anna and the FBI come out of all of this.

I also liked that all of the superfluous agents in the hotel scene gave us lots of possible suspects.  And I liked that Heuter wasn't too obvious.  I had pretty much dismissed the idea that it was him when he struck. (I watch waaaay to many procedurals)

Also, did anyone get the feeling that the Cantrip Fae list was rather like MacCarthy era blacklists?  Guilty until proven innocent?  Nasty neighbors or co-workers making accusations without any need for evidence?  And what are they going to do with that list?  Nothing good you know.

Did anyone else want to yell at Charles, 'Would you call Mercy already and ask her about ghosts?"  Not that it's his nature to ask for help but it irritated me.  Plus we know from the Mercy books that Charles might know more about Mercy than she herself does.

Oh, I have rambled on haven't I?  But I always end Patty's books going, "That was AWESOME!!  I need MORE!"  and talking them to death is the next best thing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:52:53 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:33 pm »
Did anyone else want to yell at Charles, 'Would you call Mercy already and ask her about ghosts?"  Not that it's his nature to ask for help but it irritated me.  Plus we know from the Mercy books that Charles might know more about Mercy than she herself does.

Not really. After all, beyond seeing ghosts, Mercy doesn't actually seem to know that much about them. Yes, she's divided them into different types, but I'm pretty certain in BC she admitted she knew nothing about getting rid of them.I don't feel like she would have been any help to Charles.

*woops, your copy/paste left a spoiler uncovered, so I just removed a / to make it work again, Zealith.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:53:28 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:28 pm »
Yes, I don't think Mercy would have been much help.
Charles knew how to get rid of the ghosts.  It was his guilt that tied them to him.  He had to deal with that before he could free himself from them.  He knew that from his grandfather.  Perhaps Mercy could have banished them, with the power over ghosts she apparently has, but I don't get the impression that she's been fine-tuning that ability, plus:
1) I don't know if Charles's ghosts are the same sort of ghosts that Mercy would be familiar with.
2) Even if Mercy banished the current batch of ghosts, the underlying problem - the guilt - would still be there, leaving him open for future ghost invasion.  And while I don't think Adam has anything against Charles, I don't see it going over well long-term if Mercy had to constantly be on call to get rid of ghosts hanging around him.  Especially given that having the ghosts around seems to make Charles... unstable, shall we say?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:53:43 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »
I'd agree that Mercy wouldn't be too much help, but more for the difference in perspective produced by the fact that Charles' "Indian" grounding is both stronger and of a different culture than Mercy's scattered bits.  Mercy's view of ghosts has nothing to do with guilty latching onto an individual, but more like... how a certain house will creak at a certain pitch when the wind shakes it, or how your ipod/MP3 will seem to play certain songs when you stop at a certain traffic light, or something.  They're attached to places usually, and they're 'recordings'.  The few mobile ghosts she's run across were either very fresh (which Charles has now too, it's true) or that ghost of a vampire; not exactly the same thing as the usual human/werewolf ghost.
Further, she's got a more pragmatic approach to ghosts than he does.  Possibly from being raised "white" beyond the little Charles taught her.  I don't get the impression that his tutoring of her covered much more than the infamous Lay-Z Boy spirit quest.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:53:55 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 09:03:33 am »
<snip>
Question: Do we need to wait until the spoiler bars are lifted before we can carry this knowledge to the Frost Burned thread to speculate, or do we just need to spoiler bar it in that thread? Since I feel like we're crossing over into "off-topic" by discussing impacts on characters more closely associated with Mercy and the Tri-Cities.  <snip>

It'll be in both sections, as long as it has spoiler bars.
That's the ruling.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:54 am »
Feel free to post at the Frost Burned discussion about the events which will affect Mercy and co - but the spoiler bars of doom must be used but till 3 months after the release date. This is avoid unintentionally spoilage by members who havent had the chance to read the book yet.

Edited: Patti beat me to it! LOL
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:38:59 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:21 am »
You know I'm ebil that way.  's how I keep my post count up.  >D

Only look at this link AFTER you've reached the 9th chapter:  http://www.diggercomic.com/?p=551

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:53 am »
I *loved* this book! Stayed up until 3:30 am reading it. I don't have anything insightful to say right now, but what an ending!

I agree that the fae aren't at war with the US, but that they're treating them with the potential to be enemies. There's certainly no trust there. I was wondering to what extent Alistair acted alone or had conferred with the other Gray Lords about this "secession" and what did he mean by saying he's a Grey Lord "Prince"? Does that just mean he's a Grey Lord? Or more? A leader of leaders? If so, how could he be forced to marry and breed a half-fae child?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:11 pm by Elle »
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
He says that he told them he was too old and powerful for them to give him a child.  That implies to me that there are a whole bunch of Gray Lords who for whatever reason wanted him to have a child (perhaps in hope that his power would be passed to her?), and they put pressure on him to do so.  The Gray Lords don't sound like a really cohesive group so much as "We're the most powerful fae left, so if we all get together and agree on something, the rest of you are so. totally. screwed."  But individually, their power isn't so great that they can face down the rest of the Gray Lords. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:21 pm by Elle »

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »
I just thought of something What is this going to do to Sam and Ariana?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:34 pm by Elle »

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
Good point.  :-\

I would guess, that Sam not being human might still be allowed to visit the reservations. Or, I always got the impression that Ariana, while not a grey lord, was pretty powerful. Since she's not public she might be allowed to be an exception?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:48 pm by Elle »

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »
Hmm, did not manage to stay away from the black bars of doom LOL

As long as Ariana goes disguised as a human, she could probably visit with Sam quite easily. I don't think retreating and calling themselves their own nation meant they would not visit at all, and I think going in disguise would be entirely possible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:54:58 pm by Elle »

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »
I have only one question.  Will there be another Anna & Charles book?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »
She has 2 more Mercy books (I believe) and one undecided book plan. It might be Anna and Charles, or it might focus on something else.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
I *loved* this book! Stayed up until 3:30 am reading it. I don't have anything insightful to say right now, but what an ending!

I agree that the fae aren't at war with the US, but that they're treating them with the potential to be enemies. There's certainly no trust there. I was wondering to what extent Alistair acted alone or had conferred with the other Gray Lords about this "secession" and what did he mean by saying he's a Grey Lord "Prince"? Does that just mean he's a Grey Lord? Or more? A leader of leaders? If so, how could he be forced to marry and breed a half-fae child?

Remember in Hunting Ground, Dana Shea was a Gray Lord, but she was still frightened of some other Gray Lords. Very powerful doesn't necessarily mean invincible. Maybe he owed one of them a debt, or maybe there were just too many who agreed with the plan.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:55:16 pm by Elle »
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone